Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

The highlight of the weekend was the return of Spuds Davis “The Prince of Potatoes” down from Caribou passing out hearty handshakes with great smiles. The drive has become a little long for him now so this was his first appearance this season. Unfortunately, he had to witness the dreadful game Friday and the ugly game on Saturday. He took a fall on the steps while making his rounds and suffered some minor injuries. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery and returns soon. In a season where smiles at “The A” are hard to come by, Arnie’s visit was a welcome site.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBear8 View Post
      how bout dennehy? had a hunch he could get it done there. liked the way his teams have played since he arrived. ballz to the wall all game. walshesque if you will. wasn't he on toot's staff not that long ago? maybe thats the reason umass hasn't been able to sustain. dennehy has gotten his team better every year. too bad we coudn't say the same about our favorite team.
      I'm not sold. Two years ago everybody wanted Greg Cronin. Now his team's back to normal. Dennehy's the fad today. But who knows what he can do over a longer sample size? I'm not saying he won't sustain down there, just that its still a question mark.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Pucknut View Post
        The highlight of the weekend was the return of Spuds Davis “The Prince of Potatoes” down from Caribou passing out hearty handshakes with great smiles. The drive has become a little long for him now so this was his first appearance this season. Unfortunately, he had to witness the dreadful game Friday and the ugly game on Saturday. He took a fall on the steps while making his rounds and suffered some minor injuries. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery and returns soon. In a season where smiles at “The A” are hard to come by, Arnie’s visit was a welcome site.
        Thanks for the update. Get better Arnie. You are a big memory of my only trip to Alfond.
        Originally posted by reBlur
        the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
          I'm not sold. Two years ago everybody wanted Greg Cronin. Now his team's back to normal. Dennehy's the fad today. But who knows what he can do over a longer sample size? I'm not saying he won't sustain down there, just that its still a question mark.
          Longer than what? It's taken 3 years to get the program to where it is now, and four years before that to clear out the former coach's personnel. I don't imagine that every year after this one is going to be like this for Merrimack, nor would I necessarily blame Dennehy for it if it weren't-- at least, not right away

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
            Thanks for the update. Get better Arnie. You are a big memory of my only trip to Alfond.
            granted, given how that night ended, he may likely be your only memory of that game...

are you taking friday of the he finals off? marc and i will both be in town for the weekend... i am probably taking the downeaster into town early friday...

Comment

[QUOTE=KnowItAll;5031461]
              Last season (the good season if you recall) Maine was 0-3 against the powerhouse from Amherst
              08-09, Maine was 1-2 with both losses on the Olympic sheet
              07-08, 2-1 with the loss on the Olympic sheet
              and the year before, maine was 2-4... 4 losses at Amherst and 2 wins on small ice (orono and Albany)QUOTE]

Two of the losses at UMA(the final RS series)Maine had Wilson in net,and he was at his worst,which was pretty GD bad!That was just awful to watch.

Bish was back for the regional at Rochester,and the story was different...Maine played a rock-solid game and advanced to the FF.(Might be quite a while until they get there again,though,ya think?)

Got to agree with the UMass fans about Cahoon,BTW.He came to town greatly heralded,and hasn't gotten it done,despite a good geographical location,a top-shelf venue,a big enrollment,etc.I wouldn't necessarily trade Timmy for him.(What's the difference,right?)

I'd rather take a flier on Monty.Give me a young guy with fire in his belly,who is fully-invested in Maine hockey,and is maybe packing a goalie in his hip pocket.He was a great captain on Maine's finest team...What else does he need on his resume at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81;5032039Two of the losses at UMA(the final RS series)Maine had Wilson in net,and he was at his worst,which was pretty GD bad!That was just awful to watch.

Bish was back for the regional at [I
                Rochester[/I],and the story was different...Maine played a rock-solid game and advanced to the FF.(Might be quite a while until they get there again,though,ya think?)
                Bishop > Wilson > Sirman+Ouelette+Sullivan=Maine is really screwed in Amherst
                that said, Maine's last win there was a LONG time ago (none of the seniors saw it)

I just met a teammate of Darling, and while perhaps he did not feel comfortalble telling everything, he was very believable when he told me that it was COMPLETELY uncharacteristic of Scott to do what he seemed to have been accused of doing... he wonderd if the powers that be were making a mountain out of a molehill (and looking for a scapegoat)

Comment

I disagree about Dave vs. what Maine has now in net...

He was even worse,and by a long shot.Every time I saw him,aside from one great start at the Alfond,I expected any shot from any angle to have a chance to trickle in...And they very often did.

He was in over his head,and that's on Tim,too.He was probably the worst goalie I've ever seen get any serious time in a Maine sweater.

To my eye,Oullette,Sirman,and Sullivan all have sufficient tools to be *solid*,if not Howard-esque...Again,it seems as though they are all being taught nothing.Just like poor Dave
                  Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-14-2011, 01:25 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Fishman'81;5032039]
                    Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                    Last season (the good season if you recall) Maine was 0-3 against the powerhouse from Amherst
                    and the year before, maine was 2-4... 4 losses at Amherst and 2 wins on small ice (orono and Albany)QUOTE]

Two of the losses at UMA(the final RS series)Maine had Wilson in net,and he was at his worst,which was pretty GD bad!That was just awful to watch.

Bish was back for the regional at Rochester,and the story was different...Maine played a rock-solid game and advanced to the FF.(Might be quite a while until they get there again,though,ya think?)

Got to agree with the UMass fans about Cahoon,BTW.He came to town greatly heralded,and hasn't gotten it done,despite a good geographical location,a top-shelf venue,a big enrollment,etc.I wouldn't necessarily trade Timmy for him.(What's the difference,right?)

I'd rather take a flier on Monty.Give me a young guy with fire in his belly,who is fully-invested in Maine hockey,and is maybe packing a goalie in his hip pocket.He was a great captain on Maine's finest team...What else does he need on his resume at this point?
                    Well lets HOPE that once thhe NEW President & AD are in place and if they have the sense at what has & is happening to this Program that they find ways to clean house...Montgomery would be a ideal choice to most,not all....but I would rather have him behind the bench....I can't see it happening for at least another excuse full and we are re-building mode year from TW....but your right he has the Passion for UM & College Hockey...if he's not at Maine...he'll be in Div.1 Hockey in 2-3 years....

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      I disagree about Dave vs. what Maine has now in net...

He was even worse,and by a long shot.Every time I saw him,aside from one great start at the Alfond,I expected any shot from any angle to have a chance to trickle in...And they very often did.

He was in over his head,and that's on Tim,too.He was probably the worst goalie I've ever seen get any serious time in a Maine sweater.

To my eye,Oullette,Sirman,and Sullivan all have sufficient tools to be *solid*,if not Howard-esque...Again,it seems as though they are all being taught nothing,though.
                      Wilson was one of the worst netminders UM has ever had..period..he had a good run at the end for a team that was going no-where's except in dreams at the end of last season...nothing against him as a person,but he was more suited for Div.3 Hockey then at a Div.1 School...plus he was a late pick-up to offset the lost of Matt Lundin..( and thats a sad situation in the way he was handle at Maine..imo..)

Comment

I just met a teammate of Darling, and while perhaps he did not feel comfortalble telling everything, he was very believable when he told me that it was COMPLETELY uncharacteristic of Scott to do what he seemed to have been accused of doing... he wonderd if the powers that be were making a mountain out of a molehill (and looking for a scapegoat)
                        I'd take that with a grain of salt if I were you. I heard lots of stuff and he blew his chances
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

[QUOTE=Fishman'81;5032039]

How about the fact his team is leading the league? Add that to his resume. He's a natural born leader and winner. And one more, he has Grant-access. What a glorious thing it would be for Maine Hockey to have those two guys return to the Alfond. You wouldnt see any empty seats knowing those guys are in control.
                          I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Timmay needs to go. I would definitely take a chance on Jim. I saw him at a pre-game prep rally in Milwaukee, he still bleeds blue and white

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                              Last night at the end of the game...Abbott took quite a side almost blind side hit and had all he could do to get to the bench...looked like a knee/leg injury...has there been any info on that,plus what injury does Andersson have..?
                              I was thinking the same, he didn't play his last few shifts, the guy kind missed the hit, but still hit his knee.

Comment

Bishop > Wilson > Sirman+Ouelette+Sullivan=Maine is really screwed in Amherst
                                that said, Maine's last win there was a LONG time ago (none of the seniors saw it)

Did you ever actually watch Wilson play?

Not sure what your Darling connection was trying to do by telling you that, but Darling had worse problems than you probably heard. Maybe your friend never saw him drunk, but being drunk was only a part of it anyway. I'm certainly not a Whitehead apologist, but they put up with WAY more from Darling and kept him around WAY longer than I would have. He most definitely was NOT made a scapegoat, and more than earned everything that happened to him. Based on first hand stories I heard from a student I'm very close to who saw him in action in class and at parties starting his freshman year, if the coaches knew what he was really like, they probably should have ditched him way back then. The kid has some serious issues to deal with and is certainly not anyone you want to be in a position to depend on, or to be representing your school.

Comment

Working...
                                X