Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
    He was never over-rated as a hockey player in my opinion. However, he often played the game with too, much anger. I can recall seeing his face (seats near the glass), and there would be rage etched into face and eyes. There were times when he was totally out of control and was actually a little frightening.
    As a long time fan of UNH-Maine rivalry, I found the debate about Ryan's abilities interesting. Thought if he was great I should recall him, but didn't so looked him up: http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=12619. His last year at Maine was 03-04 (148 PM in 43 games), 3+ years in AHL with lots of PM and the last 2+ in Germany. So far this year a penalty a game. Even in his one game in the NHL his only stat is a 2 minute penalty.

He obviously has some success after DI career, but being "great" in HE would probably translate into more success. Being mean accounts for lots of penalty minutes, but so does holding or tripping or whatever to stop offensive players when one can't keep up with them. As I noted, I don't remember him, so you can evaluate that better than I.

BTW, good luck the rest of the season. After last weekend, I wish you guys lots of wins.

Comment

Just got my alumni magazine and saw that former Maine goaltender Trapper Clark won a Small Business Owner of the Year award and was honored at a Rose Garden event by the president.

http://oneclick.indiatimes.com/photo/09bA3dY6nNgBT

As an aside, although he wasn't Maine's best keeper ever, I thought he had the best goalie name of the lot.
      Go Big Red.

Comment

Originally posted by 5IslandsWildcat View Post
        He obviously has some success after DI career, but being "great" in HE would probably translate into more success. Being mean accounts for lots of penalty minutes, but so does holding or tripping or whatever to stop offensive players when one can't keep up with them. As I noted, I don't remember him, so you can evaluate that better than I.

BTW, good luck the rest of the season. After last weekend, I wish you guys lots of wins.
        It says a lot more about your hockey IQ, frankly. If you can watch Prestin Ryan carry the puck and not recognize him as a great hockey player, you need to reevaluate what you know about the game.

Not all great college players go on to the NHL- I don't think anyone is questioning Chris Imes.

Comment

Ryan may have been the greatest college hockey player ever, but that doesn't change the fact that he was a ticking time bomb and at times a very dirty player.

Comment

Lenzi says Sullivan practiced today....chances he plays this weekend?

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
            43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
            104-47-14 (.669) in that time
            3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
              Ryan may have been the greatest college hockey player ever
              Didn't see any faces, so ummm

what?

Comment

IMO,Prestin was a liability for most of his first three years (he took too many selfish and dumb penalties),but was a real asset in his final year.

He had the ability all along,but he just could not control his anger for most of his career.Watching him play was kinda like watching a troubled alcoholic sitting at the bar pounding beers,knowing that at any time,he'd have that one drink that would put him over the edge,and then he'd call someone out at random.

Prestin was a very talented guy,though.Just wish we could have had him when he had his head screwed on straight for a longer time.I hope Diamond takes note of Ryan's career-path.
                Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-10-2011, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Morris credited former Maine assistant coach Grant Standbrook, who is a consultant for the Fighting Saints, with “really changing my season around.”

“I was struggling quite a bit in the preseason, but he came to work with us and had me on top of my game. He really simplified my game,” said Morris, who will be a scholarship player.

http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/...e-mens-hockey/

Comment

You gotta love the way Grant is still a Maine guy,even in a "subversive" role.

He's clearly missed in Orono,though.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      You gotta love the way Grant is still a Maine guy,even in a "subversive" role.

He's clearly missed in Orono,though.

Its time the school rights a wrong since timmay told grant he wasn't needed any more. Fire whitehead bring in Montgomery and he brings Grant back with him PROBLEMS SOLVED!
                      Maine Hockey

Shawn and Grant Built it

Tim Whitehead Ruined it

Comment

Don't worry, TIMMAY will screw him all up again.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Maine has a game tonight, does anyone care. I can see Maine coming out great guns and smoking Vermont or Madore is another in the long line of hot goalies
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Just a nice article that mentions the Alfond. I hope the team realizes that if they don't start winning, we will lose this distinction.
                            BEST ATMOSPHERE: Maine
                            Games at Maine's Alfond Arena feel like the hockey version of Friday Night Lights. The crowd is a mix of diehard locals and feverish students (one of whom hangs a referee doll in effigy when the officials skate onto the ice. At one end of the 5,445-seat arena, a section of fans sits in an ear-splitting site directly below the band. "There's nothing like Maine hockey," said Melissa Cross, who's been attending games since she was 8. "What else are you going to do when it's 20 below?"
                            Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Maine has a game tonight, does anyone care. I can see Maine coming out great guns and smoking Vermont or Madore is another in the long line of hot goalies
                              There won't be any need for excuses tonight or tomorrow night. The team is getting healthy and they will be on a mission to finish well in Hockey East. There's no doubt they have an uphill battle. Taking one game from UNH sure would have made it a little easier. Not really sure who will be in goal tonight.

Comment

If they don't(can't) sweep Vermont at home this weekend, you can say goodbye to any shot at doing anything in the postseason.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X