Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Originally posted by Bucky T. Badger View Post
    I think the UMaine thread is one of the most entertaining ones on USCHO.

"prediction is hard, especially of the future" -Yogi Berra

It's not surprising that there is so much doom and gloom about the Maine program after such a harsh weekend, but when you step back it seems like people are much more positive about the team after wins and much more negative after loses, especially loses as frustrating at Saturday nights, yet it is likely that the truth is more moderate and not as gloomy as it seems at present. Comparisons have been drawn to Lake State, but I don't see why BU could be another model. BU won it's first NC 2 years ago in what, 13 years? A few years before that it finished in what, 8th place I think in the league? It seems like BU alternates between good and mediorce, at least for Hockey East and I don't see why Maine might not end up being like that. Not a BC, not as dominent as it used to be, but still very good. Perhaps that is being overly generous of Maine's past few years, but I still think the comparison is still at least potentially correct. IMHO... Buck up!
    Good post.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
      You put Blair Allison on this team and they're leading HE. Yeah, right.
      Gotta say I think with Allison in net they'd be in second or third....you're talking 4-5 extra wins with excellent goaltending from where i sit.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        Has anyone reached out to the Lake Superior State fans for advice on how to deal with the inevitable fall from a once proud program back into irrelevance? Perhaps with some dialogue with them, we can create a 12-step program to help you guys cope with the hardship that you're enduring at this time.
        are you old enough to remember how Ceglarski ruined a top program? AND what was done to right the ship?

Getting rid of an ineffective crazy man was half of what turned BC's hockey team around

first step for Maine is getting rid of the problem

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Acs, i'm glad you'd take diamond...with him in the penalty box all game long, fine by me!

Also, umile doesn't come close to parker when it comes to being a tyrant
          you ain't paying attention if you do not see how many penalties he draws by getting defenders to throw him into their own goaltenders, spearing him, punching him because of his mouth...
          I bet his plus minus for penalties earned and penalties drawn are in Maine's favor

and clearly YOU know the value of running an opposing goaltender better than most hockey fans... those 2 minutes can mean 2 or 3 goals for (but you knew that)

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
            Gotta say I think with Allison in net they'd be in second or third....you're talking 4-5 extra wins with excellent goaltending from where i sit.
            I agree, or at least I was thinking the same thing and might have made the same post if you hadn't.

I decided to look up the actual stats, however, and discovered that Allison's save percentage was only 88.7% in 94-95 (it was also 88.7% in 95-96, so was quite consistent). That would be 2nd best on the current Maine team:

Sirman 89.3%
            Allison 88.7%
            Sullivan 88.3%
            Ouellette 87.4%

Nevertheless I suspect that a majority of Maine fans would take Allison in '95 over Sirman in '11.

There is probably truth in that, for this simple comparison doesn't take into account potential improvements in strength training and equipment (perhaps Allison would have a better save percentage if he were currently playing) and the possibility that the team played differently in front of him than the current Maine teams plays in front of Sirman/Sullivan/Ouellette (i.e. perhaps the current Maine team worries more about the goalie position and hence are more conservative in their attack).
            Go Big Red.

Comment

An addition to my last post:

Allison has the longest consecutive starting streak of any UM goaltender, 51 games. I got to wondering what the difference in team GAA would be if you compared Allison playing every game this season with 88.7% saved versus the current hodgepodge of keeping.

Sirman has a slightly better save percentage, but because of the rotation Maine's team save percentage is only 88.3% - Maine has faced 655 shots and allowed 76 goals. With Allison in net saving 88.7% Maine allows 74.

Still, in the final analysis, this all rings hollow - I suspect that having the '95 Allison in net this season would translate to more than 2 additional victories and I think that the game has likely changed since then. Nine out of Maine's 10 goalies with the highest season save percentages all played since 2000. Really makes you realize just how good Snow was...
              Go Big Red.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                I just said that.......IT'S NOT THE COACH!!! No one wants to come to Maine anymore.......it's too far away from civilization. Plus Conte, Whittemore, Agganis, etc are MUCH bertter than Alfond......especially the fan support!
                Would you agree that it's easier to recruit to BC/BU than it is Maine? And while BC's fan support isn't top notch, it's been pretty **** good this year.

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
                are you old enough to remember how Ceglarski ruined a top program? AND what was done to right the ship?

Getting rid of an ineffective crazy man was half of what turned BC's hockey team around
                Let's no get crazy here. Ceglarski went 27-12 in his 2nd to last season and made the NCAAs. His last season was 14-18-3. Surely you can come up with a better example than him. Cedorchuk ruined the program, not Ceglarski.

and clearly YOU know the value of running an opposing goaltender better than most hockey fans
                I do?

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                  With this defense in front of him?

Certainly, there've ben many soft goals given up by our goaltenders this season. But there have been just as many goals where they've had no chance on, shot by guys right in the slot left uncovered or allowed to skate right on in.
                  What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky T. Badger View Post
                    I agree, or at least I was thinking the same thing and might have made the same post if you hadn't.

I decided to look up the actual stats, however, and discovered that Allison's save percentage was only 88.7% in 94-95 (it was also 88.7% in 95-96, so was quite consistent). That would be 2nd best on the current Maine team:

Sirman 89.3%
                    Allison 88.7%
                    Sullivan 88.3%
                    Ouellette 87.4%

Nevertheless I suspect that a majority of Maine fans would take Allison in '95 over Sirman in '11.

There is probably truth in that, for this simple comparison doesn't take into account potential improvements in strength training and equipment (perhaps Allison would have a better save percentage if he were currently playing) and the possibility that the team played differently in front of him than the current Maine teams plays in front of Sirman/Sullivan/Ouellette (i.e. perhaps the current Maine team worries more about the goalie position and hence are more conservative in their attack).
                    Big difference between the amount of goal scoring in 94-95 and today. In 94-95 6 of the 9 teams in the league averaged over 4 gpg in HE play and this year you have only 4 teams out of the 10 that average over 3 gpg. Allison was the only goalie in HE to have a gaa of under 3.00 in league play and the league leader in sv% was .902. Sirman would probably be at about .840 back in the mid 90's.

Comment

Good article by Larry, came out in the last few hours: http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011/...-east-tourney/

Says Maine will likely have to win HE tourney to go to NCAAs.
                      Go Big Red.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeypuck View Post
                        Big difference between the amount of goal scoring in 94-95 and today. In 94-95 6 of the 9 teams in the league averaged over 4 gpg in HE play and this year you have only 4 teams out of the 10 that average over 3 gpg. Allison was the only goalie in HE to have a gaa of under 3.00 in league play and the league leader in sv% was .902. Sirman would probably be at about .840 back in the mid 90's.
                        So Allison was the best in Hockey East, let's say just for conversation then that Maine had the current best tender in the East, DiGi from UNH or Muse from BC (they're tied at 93.8%) - that translates into only 41 goals against, 35 fewer -- Needless to say Maine would be doing a lot better and this arithmetic exercise borders on the irrelevant...

So does that say that Maine would be in 1st with this team plus Allison???
                        Go Big Red.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post

Let's no get crazy here. Ceglarski went 27-12 in his 2nd to last season and made the NCAAs. His last season was 14-18-3. Surely you can come up with a better example than him. Cedorchuk ruined the program, not Ceglarski.

I do?
                          talk to ceglarski's players, cedorchuk had no chance (see if that boy from Wilbraham will tell YOU about Lenny)
                          just like the guy who takes maine after Timmy leave him with all monarchs

I got a good idea hokeydad was one of 'em
                          am I right hokeydad?
                          Last edited by KnowItAll; 02-07-2011, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
                            I just said that.......IT'S NOT THE COACH!!! No one wants to come to Maine anymore.......it's too far away from civilization. Plus Conte, Whittemore, Agganis, etc are MUCH bertter than Alfond......especially the fan support!
                            are you kidding about fan support at conte and eggAnus? compared to Alfond?

Comment

talk to ceglarski's players, cedorchuk had no chance (see if that boy from Wilbraham will tell YOU about Lenny)
                              just like the guy who takes maine after Timmy leave him with all monarchs
                              I don't have access to his players, so why don't you enlighten me on what he did.

Comment

are you kidding about fan support at conte and eggAnus? compared to Alfond?
                                Sarcasm.

Comment

Working...
                                X