Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
    I have no idea why Bishop came. It seems to me that you want to blame him 100% for Maine's problems and, sure, if Blais had come instead of going to UNO, you may have a point but you'll never know. There are worst coaches/recruiters than Whitehead.
    So now he's not to blame to there are worst coaches and recruiters than Whitehead. Blais might have come back in 02-03 but the dumbass AD didn't do a Nat'l search, just decided Tim was the man.

Bishop came because of Grant Standbrook, the reason Maine had great goalies all those years
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
      You think that Orono is isolated???.....lol. First we'd have to lower UMaine's student population from 10,000 to 2,800......and reduce Alfond's seating capacity to 4,000.......and then add half a dozen large universities in the state that play D-1 hockey as well.........THEN we can talk.
      Alright. I'll take that as a "no" then.
      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
        Alright. I'll take that as a "no" then.
        Take it anyway that you want.........facts are facts.

Comment

I think the UMaine thread is one of the most entertaining ones on USCHO.

"prediction is hard, especially of the future" -Yogi Berra

It's not surprising that there is so much doom and gloom about the Maine program after such a harsh weekend, but when you step back it seems like people are much more positive about the team after wins and much more negative after loses, especially loses as frustrating at Saturday nights, yet it is likely that the truth is more moderate and not as gloomy as it seems at present. Comparisons have been drawn to Lake State, but I don't see why BU could be another model. BU won it's first NC 2 years ago in what, 13 years? A few years before that it finished in what, 8th place I think in the league? It seems like BU alternates between good and mediorce, at least for Hockey East and I don't see why Maine might not end up being like that. Not a BC, not as dominent as it used to be, but still very good. Perhaps that is being overly generous of Maine's past few years, but I still think the comparison is still at least potentially correct. IMHO... Buck up!
          Go Big Red.

Comment

Anyone happen to catch Bob Beers on the NESN pregame show friday night I think it was discussing his role in helping to elevate the Maine hockey program to the pinnacle of college hockey? You could tell it meant a lot to him....I can remember when Walshy was recruiting Beersy at the time ....had a laugh over other college recruiters probably following Grant around the country after seeing Beersy transfer from Northern Arizona to Maine.
            I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
              Anyone happen to catch Bob Beers on the NESN pregame show friday night I think it was discussing his role in helping to elevate the Maine hockey program to the pinnacle of college hockey? You could tell it meant a lot to him....I can remember when Walshy was recruiting Beersy at the time ....had a laugh over other college recruiters probably following Grant around the country after seeing Beersy transfer from Northern Arizona to Maine.
              No, I missed that, that sounds good. What was Beers doing at Northern Arizona? If they have a hockey team it must be Div 3 or club -- I've never heard of it.
              Go Big Red.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucky T. Badger View Post
                No, I missed that, that sounds good. What was Beers doing at Northern Arizona? If they have a hockey team it must be Div 3 or club -- I've never heard of it.
                I think they had a d1 squad

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Who does the buck stop with? He is in charge of the program, he signs off on the recruits, he runs the practices, he picks the asst coaches. He says who plays and who doesn't.
                  Word for word. The guy is paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to win hockey games. It really doesn't matter if he's nice, mean, well liked, not well liked. It's a bottom line business. If you want to keep your job, find a way. Nice guys and guys with rings have been dismissed for far less than the "success" Timmy's had the last 3 1/2 years.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                  43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                  104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                  3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

It's not surprising that there is so much doom and gloom about the Maine program after such a harsh weekend, but when you step back it seems like people are much more positive about the team after wins and much more negative after loses, !
                    I think this is true, fans are always going to be disappointed after losses. The problem is the good weekends seem to end every fall and then its a down pour of bad weekends so frustration comes pouring out.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                      You answered your own question. Goal tending. In addition, the bounce of the puck in hockey is huge. As the saying goes, "there are times when it is far better to be lucky than good". In addition, it's difficult to make comparisons with teams in the past because game situations and the opposition is totally different.
                      So goaltending is the only difference between the '95 team and it's success, and this year's team and its lack of. Oh, that anda little puck luck. Why that team won 30 games with no real superstar talent, beat a superior on paper Michigan team with an even better goalie.

You put Blair Allison on this team and they're leading HE. Yeah, right.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                        I have no idea why Bishop came. It seems to me that you want to blame him 100% for Maine's problems and, sure, if Blais had come instead of going to UNO, you may have a point but you'll never know. There are worst coaches/recruiters than Whitehead.
                        Yes, and they don't make the NCAA's either.

seems like people are much more positive about the team after wins and much more negative after loses, especially loses as frustrating at Saturday nights,
                        I'm not negative about Saturday's loss, frustrating as it was. The team played great, and just didn't get the breaks to fall their way. Happens.

I'm very negative about Friday's loss, because the defensive zone play was atrocious, and any decently coached group of defensemen shoul;dn't be making those kinds of mistakes at this point in the season. Especially when a number of them are upperclassmen, and supposed to be experienced.
                        Last edited by rufus; 02-07-2011, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          I think they had a d1 squad
                          Yep. The reason Beers came to Maine was because N. Arizona folded their program.

I still remember the end to end rush and score he did against Northeastern in the HE semis to give Maine the win and move on to the championship game. I think 1989, when the tourney was held at Conte because of the measles outbreaks?

Comment

It's not surprising that there is so much doom and gloom about the Maine program after such a harsh weekend, but when you step back it seems like people are much more positive about the team after wins and much more negative after loses, especially loses as frustrating at Saturday nights, yet it is likely that the truth is more moderate and not as gloomy as it seems at present. Buck up!
                            I think its more than just a weekend, its 4+ years of false hope relayed by our fearless "leader". Remember everybody "the future is now" this was to be the return of Maine Hockey and Mr. Whitehead failed. This program is the breadwinner for the university. If this was basketball at Duke or football at Ohio State would they tolerate 4 years of missing the NCAA tourney after being consistent contenders for 15 years?. Absolutely not!!

At this point the talent is there for an NCAA bid, but instead our coaches system stifles our creative playmaking abilities. We seem to recruit potent offensive talent only to make them into defensive forwards and recruit defensive d-men and expect them to be offensive juggernauts. We need a consistent focus and a commitment to that focus. We are trying to be all things at once falling short each year. We are kind of offensive, kind of defensive, kind of possession, Kind of dump and chase, kind of, kind of, kind of. The coach has to establish an identity and stick to it. All successful teams share these characteristics in common; all teams that struggle, struggle, in part, due to a lack of identity and a lack of focus. This team as no identity, direction or focus and the coach has to be held accountable.

The fans are starting realize this and are beginning to organize their resentment. Look no further than the growing popularity of the "fire Tim Whitehead group" on facebook (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...d=186978081078)

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              So goaltending is the only difference between the '95 team and it's success, and this year's team and its lack of. Oh, that anda little puck luck. Why that team won 30 games with no real superstar talent, beat a superior on paper Michigan team with an even better goalie.

You put Blair Allison on this team and they're leading HE. Yeah, right.
                              Boy if we had a Blair Allison type goalie this season...we would be far off better...but we don't so that ends this post.

Comment

Originally posted by MEpucknut View Post
                                I think its more than just a weekend, its 4+ years of false hope relayed by our fearless "leader". Remember everybody "the future is now" this was to be the return of Maine Hockey and Mr. Whitehead failed. This program is the breadwinner for the university. If this was basketball at Duke or football at Ohio State would they tolerate 4 years of missing the NCAA tourney after being consistent contenders for 15 years?. Absolutely not!!

At this point the talent is there for an NCAA bid, but instead our coaches system stifles our creative playmaking abilities. We seem to recruit potent offensive talent only to make them into defensive forwards and recruit defensive d-men and expect them to be offensive juggernauts. We need a consistent focus and a commitment to that focus. We are trying to be all things at once falling short each year. We are kind of offensive, kind of defensive, kind of possession, Kind of dump and chase, kind of, kind of, kind of. The coach has to establish an identity and stick to it. All successful teams share these characteristics in common; all teams that struggle, struggle, in part, due to a lack of identity and a lack of focus. This team as no identity, direction or focus and the coach has to be held accountable.

The fans are starting realize this and are beginning to organize their resentment. Look no further than the growing popularity of the "fire Tim Whitehead group" on facebook (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...d=186978081078)
                                Maine sure could use more importantly, goaltending.............

Comment

Working...
                                X