Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Black Bears, 2010-2011, Redemption or FORE, I say......

How come so much interest in this thread from the BC fandumb? All we're missing is one pinehead at this point.

Tims problem is, to use a business parallel, a poor manager. He's a poor manager of people and a poor manager of the team as a whole. Thats my most humble opinion and a fact. I've always said I hate how he manages his goalies...does not know how to build confidence in them or develop and enhance their skills. He's essentially in over his head at UMaine at this point, and the walls are closing in on him quickly. Sooner than later, the Black Bear will corner and eat him alive.

Talentwise, any rational fan of this team has to be happy. I'll take Diamond, Dimmen, O'Neil, Abbott and Flynn any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Not only are they talented, but they also dont look like unshaven hippies on the ice.

Lalsty, the fnail otomecute of all tihs mklarey uqnuiaonestbly is Jim Monrygomtes rtruen to Onrro in 2 yraes. Hes gnimoorg hlselimf now for taht position. Fsrit wtih a asitnt as asnsistat at RPI and now the Journis. Wtach for it. You hared it hree fisirt, so witre it dwon.
    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
      Bob,

Maine may have a great game time atmosphere, but lets be honest here. When you look at the overall package, including the building and facilities themselves, the schools location, academics, etc, Maine is always going to come up short vs BC & BU and more often than not vs UNH. I don't see why Maine shouldn't be able to get back to the top 4 or 5 of HE on a somewhat consistent basis and have the occasional HE title run, but I just think the days of Maine being a HE superpower are gone - probably for good.
      Who in their right minds though wants to play for tyrants like Umile (and the resultant Umiliation) or Parker, your friend down Commonwealth Ave....lol.

Comment

Originally posted by sandiegoblkbr View Post
        It's too funny that people think that you are a Maine fan........lol. It is so OBVIOUS that you aren't.
        Waddya mean. Chriss!!! has always been a closet Maine fan. Just hasnt had the ballz yet to admit to it. Someday he will come out of the closet, Everyone wants to be a Black Bear.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
          Who in their right minds though wants to play for tyrants like Umile (and the resultant Umiliation) or Parker, your friend down Commonwealth Ave....lol.
          I couldn't agree more about Parker, but other than the turtle neck, Umile aint half bad :-)

Comment

Lalsty, the fnail otomecute of all tihs mklarey uqnuiaonestbly is Jim Monrygomtes rtruen to Onrro in 2 yraes. Hes gnimoorg hlselimf now for taht position. Fsrit wtih a asitnt as asnsistat at RPI and now the Journis. Wtach for it. You hared it hree fisirt, so witre it dwon.
            Baastahd.......that's what I was thinking!......you said it much more eloquently though.

Comment

Bob,

Maine may have a great game time atmosphere, but lets be honest here. When you look at the overall package, including the building and facilities themselves, the schools location, academics, etc, Maine is always going to come up short vs BC & BU and more often than not vs UNH. I don't see why Maine shouldn't be able to get back to the top 4 or 5 of HE on a somewhat consistent basis and have the occasional HE title run, but I just think the days of Maine being a HE superpower are gone - probably for good.
              Now heres a horsechit post....typical of our 4 year old we all know and luv.

Comment

I couldn't agree more about Parker, but other than the turtle neck, Umile aint half bad :-)
                yeah, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiggght. Imminent explosion is my take. I'm surprised he hasnt had another stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
                  No I am just a nutcase! I tend to sit on the sidelines these days as I can't compete with the virtriol on USCHO any longer. Have been lurking and after attending the 2 games this weekend I am rendered almost speechless. I have come out of shock long enough to post. #1 if Gus (who had a great weekend) keeps on his skates and deposits the puck in the net, as he should have, this entire thread would be totally different!

#2 The idiotic posts about Maine never returning to the ranks of the top 4 are indeed idiotic. Maine has the best atmosphere, and IMHO is one of the best places in the country to play. If Tim can't sell that to top recruits then maybe the time has come.

#3 Anyone who thinks Maine does not have the talent of SW teams, just look at the '95 team! This team upfront is as talented as any team Tim has coached IMHO. We have 7 forwards that can put the puck in the net, but our team defense, and goaltending have been so inconsistent. All you have to do is read this thread to understand how confused we all are on goaltending. Before the game last night the posts stated we'll lose 7-2 if Ouellette starts, after the game people posted how could you go with Sirman when Ouellette is an NHL draft pick? (BFD so was Darling).

The last 2 goals Sirman gave up were just brutal!!!

#4 This did seem to be the year everything was centered around to get us back to respectability, and it has been a disaster to date! Call me crazy but Maine should have won 2 of the 3 games vs. UNH, so while UNH is having a great season and has found ways to win games, I'd love another shot at them! However because so much was built around this year, and Maine did not find ways to win very winnable games I am not confident about the future.

With the losses of House and Dee upfront we have big holes to fill. On D I am not as concerned, I like Dimmen and Van Dyk has been solid, but Mangene appears to be headed back to D and Rutt and hopefully a healthy Pryor who showed some promise give us 8. But replacing House and Dee with Higgins and Leen means that Beattie, Corkum, Amestoy, Anthoine, and Swavely will have to really step up.

And if Nyquist, Flynn or O'Neill leave, it is going to be back to the bottom 1/2 of the league, which is unacceptable!!! So if we miss the tournament this year, and Tim stays, and we fall below .500 next year it's time for a change!

This weekend was frustrating as a fan, and had to be even tougher for the guys, as they outworked UNH most of last night and for long stretches on Friday night. I am hopeful they finish the regular season by going 7-1, but at this point that is wishful thinking.

I'll reserve further comment until the end of the regular season. Back to Lurking! Fire away!
                  Good post. I think all these points are reasonable.

Maine never wins at the Whitt, no matter who the coach is....'99 anyone? So I wasn't expecting wins but it is just the manner in which we lose the games (all games this season it seems-as noted above) that makes you wanna kick something. Maine, in my opinion wanted this weekend more than UNH, however still came up empty due to some p!ss poor goaltending and some defensive breakdowns. The effort was there, but the focus lapsed at times which was magnified by the goaltending situation and missed opportunities to win the game. You know, in watching the game highlights on hockeyeastonline.com it is like someone upstairs just didn't want us to win those games. Just before the game winner by UNH Beattie is rushing up ice and will almost surely get the puck deep in the UNH end, when, out of nowhere he trips over his own blue line with nobody within 20 feet of him...tried to get up and falls again...UNH takes the puck, transitions quickly goes in and scores from behind the extrended goal line. It is the last few minutes of that game that people are so mad about, yet I can't really see much in that last few minutes that you can concretely blame on the coaches, beside the fact that this is a trend now....maybe that can be coaching. There really isn't a defensive lapse, just a goal that should never ever have gone in.

Here are the problems with the coaching that I have observed:

1. Lack of consistency in the teams intensity/drive to win. Sure these last few games were ok, but we needed to win them. Why? because we weren't mentally ready to play at various points earlier in the year. That's on the coaches.

2. Goaltending. I have no problem with the way Tim has handled the playing time of the goalies this year. It would have been all hunky dorey if one of these goalies would have stepped up to the plate but nobody has. The problem I have with the coaching is driving one of the great coaching talents in college hockey history and probably THE best goaltending coach in the country out of town, and replacing him with some part time coach. These are young kids and they obviously need help, but how are they supposed to get better?

3. Defensive zone coverage is all coaching and that has been lacking, this weekend being a prime example.

4. Lack of fire behind the bench. Sometimes you just need to rip the refs a new one to send them a message and a message to your team. There is a time and place for this and it should have a purpose beyond frustration. Tim lacks this tool.

5. Accountability. Not so much this year but in past years. Players don't respect or fear coach Whitehead enough to know enough to stay out of trouble off the ice. Walsh had that sort of intensity and innate respect that kids knew not to mess around, and if they did they'd be held accountable just like everyone else. The same goes for on ice accountability. I am not in the locker room but I wonder if Whitehead ever rips a player a new one in front of the team. Granted that may only work for certain personalities and must not be perceived as personal or playing favorites by the team. No favorites, just accountabilty. That doesn't seem to be there.

6. Stop with the excuses! Listen to coach York's comments on hockeyeastonline.com after getting whooped up in maine and you'll find no excuses. That plays an important part in the mindset of the team.

I'm sure there is more but these are the main problems I have.

Some of the blame for this dreadful season also lands on the players and leadership of the team as well as just on plain puck luck. The majority lands on the coaches though.

"The University of Maine doesn't accept ties just like it doesn't accept losses" -sw
                  I don't think we should accept 4 straight years not making the NCAAs at large. With this talent, that is unacceptable. There needs to be accountability.

That's all for now. Have a field day nutcases.
                  New Hampshire: only useful for connecting Maine to the rest of the United States.

Comment

And how does that help Maine? Not a bit, unless Montgomery funnels his players into the Maine program, which at this point in time, he'd be crazy to do.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by carltonbarrett View Post
                      Some valid points, but keep in mind that Maine was in a "must win" situation, so they were probably playing with a bit more urgency.
                      Maine outplayed BU down at Agganis and outplayed UNH for much of their meeting at Alfond. Its not about must win, its about finishing the job and getting the goaltending to put out fires in games before they become conflagration

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                      43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                      104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                      3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        I don't see how Tim goes thru this off season without one asst coach going away. He can't hire a full time asst without canning either Kerluke or Corkum
                        We know who's coming out on top if it comes down to that, don't we?

BTW, Corkum's done great work with these guys on faceoffs. They just destroyed UHN in that category. Wasn't too many years ago this team couldn't win a draw to save their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          And how does that help Maine? Not a bit, unless Montgomery funnels his players into the Maine program, which at this point in time, he'd be crazy to do.
                          Oh, I dont know...Montgomery funneling his best players to Maine seems to me to be a very smart move. The guy will want to succeed quickly, cant blame him for that.

btw, its evident to me that the hawkey Gods just plain hate Timmay. Which explains a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                            It doesn't help one bit I was just pointing out that Standbrook is still working with goalies. Montgomery is sending the top goalie statistically in the USHL to Maine.

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post

#3 Anyone who thinks Maine does not have the talent of SW teams, just look at the '95 team! .
                              Chris Imes was heads and tails better than anyone on this team and he had enough heart and will to lead a team to the promised land. Not sure who on this team you'd compare him too. That team had good goaltending also
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

btw, its evident to me that the hawkey Gods just plain hate Timmay. Which explains a lot.
                                You calling us internet nutcases 'hawkey gods'?

Comment

Working...
                                X