Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you hail from? Player's home states, provinces and countries.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where do you hail from? Player's home states, provinces and countries.

These numbers are pretty astounding.

#1 - Minnesota. all 5 of the MN NCAA teams could theoretically put Pride-On-Ice teams of only minnesota players on the ice and there'd still be 80 D-1 caliber players left for other teams...WOW!
    #2 - Michigan overtaking Massachussetts for #2 in numbers here. ***? what happened mass?
    #3 - Wisconsin is vastly underproducing relative to population. I know that high-school hockey didn't start in earnest in southeastern wisconsin (population center) until about 1992-1994 but ****, Wisconsin's numbers should be north of 80-90 players.
    #4/5 - Looking at Illinois and Pennsylvania. holy ****. PSU will have a nice foundation of home-grown talent to start their program. AND, if either Northwestern or Illinois get a team, same thing.

Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Very cool, thanks for doing this. Denver has had some great contributions from Colorado born and raised kids. This year we have the Shore bros, Drew and Nick. We hope to their younger brother in the near future. Interesting about that French kid at Merrimack. Not only is he from Paris ( a real hockey hot bed , but he's really good) I love that hockey is so international!! Nice job!!!
      "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
      Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
        The North Dakota number amazes me, the fact that there are not even enough kids coming out of that hockey crazy state to fill two Division One lines is quite interesting. How many high school hockey teams are there in that state? Could be a population thing as well.
        Population is another reason as well.
        2 cities in Minnesota. Minneapolis pop. 385,378 and St. Paul pop. 281,253 = 666,631. North Dakota statewide 646,844
        I don't think our ratio is that bad per population. I have broken down schools and their population of residents below. Later I'll post the actual students (male) from grades 9-12.

Grafton-Park River. 4,516 + 1,535 = 6,051
        Grand Forks Central & Red River 49,321 + (Air force Base) 4,832 = 54,153
        West Fargo 14,940
        Fargo North & South/Shanley & Davies 90,599
        Devil's Lake 7,222
        Wahpeton, ND-Breckenridge MN 8,586 + 3,559 = 12,145
        Bismarck Century & High 55,532
        Bottineau 2,336
        Minot 36,567 + (Air Force Base) 7,559 = 44,166
        Jamestown 15,527
        Mandan 16,718
        Williston 12,512
        Dickinson 16,010
        Hazen-Buelah 2,547 + 3,152 = 5,609
        "My greatest achievement."
        Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
          Very cool, thanks for doing this. Denver has had some great contributions from Colorado born and raised kids. This year we have the Shore bros, Drew and Nick. We hope to their younger brother in the near future. Interesting about that French kid at Merrimack. Not only is he from Paris ( a real hockey hot bed , but he's really good) I love that hockey is so international!! Nice job!!!
          Don't mention it. Any other studies, research you guys want me to look into? I do enjoy this type of research and work so if anyone has suggestions let me know.

Comment

There are other anomalies as well, take the case of Yales Clinton Bourbonais he is listed as hailing from Colchester, CT but grew up and played his earlier hockey at St. Mary's Prep - Orchard Lakes, Michigan. I do not consider him a CT kid, did you go back and research where the player actually grew up or just what town he is listed as living in?
            YALE HOCKEY
            2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
              There are other anomalies as well, take the case of Yales Clinton Bourbonais he is listed as hailing from Colchester, CT but grew up and played his earlier hockey at St. Mary's Prep - Orchard Lakes, Michigan. I do not consider him a CT kid, did you go back and research where the player actually grew up or just what town he is listed as living in?
              I went with whatever USCHO had listed as their hometown. Itd be near impossible to look into each and every player on the off chance that the state, province, etc. is wrong.

Comment

In the coming days I will be posting something similar on junior teams, prep schools, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
                  World
                  Netherlands- 2
                  Austria- 1
                  Belarus- 1
                  Croatia- 1
                  Czech Republic- 1
                  Denmark- 1
                  France- 1
                  Holland- 1
                  Italy- 1
                  Norway- 1
                  I believe the Netherlands and Holland are the same country.

Good work, though. This is very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by redrocker View Post
                    I believe the Netherlands and Holland are the same country.

Good work, though. This is very interesting.
                    Yeah I thought so too...the one listed from Holland is actually on my Bobcats. I'm not a geography buff though so I just went with what they had.

Comment

Nice work. For me, it's interesting to see which states lead in production after the "Big Four" (MA, NY, MI, MN) each of which has an entire conference based largely on that state (HE, EZAC, CCHA, WCHA).

The biggest surprises are California and Missouri, neither of which has a D-1 team in the state. For Cali, this is a testament to the popularity of roller hockey in that state. Since Air Force always has a "national" roster (appointments school-wide are distributed across the country based on population) it has to mine non-traditional areas (otherwise no non-hockey player from Minnesota would ever be admitted!). California has been a consistent producer, and we've had players from other areas (Nevada, Virginia) in the past.

One last note. Although you can have hockey in warm weather locales, I'd be interested to see a correlation between socio-economics and college hockey. Most of the states without representation (Utah and West Virginia are the exceptions in weather and minority population, though not in poverty) tend to be both warm AND have large minority/African-American populations. Despite significant but still-inadequate efforts to the contrary, hockey remains largely a rich, white kids' sport. (Kind of a prep-school version of NASCAR.)
                      Last edited by AFHockeyFan; 02-07-2011, 04:45 PM.
                      2010-2011 Atlantic Hockey Pick 'Em Champion!
                      2013 Atlantic Hockey Postseason Pick 'Em Champion!
                      Air Force Falcons
                      2007 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA West Regional
                      2008 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional
                      2009 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional Final
                      2011 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA East Regional
                      2012 Atlantic Hockey Champions, NCAA Northeast Regional

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        These numbers are pretty astounding.

#3 - Wisconsin is vastly underproducing relative to population. I know that high-school hockey didn't start in earnest in southeastern wisconsin (population center) until about 1992-1994 but ****, .
                        It was later than that. I would say around 97'-02' when about a dozen or so Milwaukee area high schools started new programs(Arrowhead, Homestead, Cedarburg, Germantown, Kenosha, Wauwatosa, Kettle Morraine, Greendale, Whitefish Bay, etc). I think in another five years Wisconsin will pass Illinois and Pennsylvania.

I remember compiling a similar list to this in the early 90's on a prodigy college message board when I was in high school. Minnesota and Mass. had nearly identical numbers as the top two followed by Michigan and New York and then a huge dropoff. I do remember Conneticut's and Alaska's numbers being higher while Wisconsin, Missouri, Pennsylvania had signficantly lower numbers back then. Illinois numbers look about the same. I do remember an article in Hockey News? a few years back that said Massachusetts hockey youth participation was rapidly declining as kids were going for more popular sports like football and basketball and USA hockey was starting some sort of grassroots campaign there to get the numbers back up. I wonder if that program is working.

Comment

North Dakota teams enrollment 9-12 unless noted 7-12 that play hockey.
                          Hazen-Buelah 257 + 216 = 473
                          Grand Forks Central 935
                          Grand Forks Red River 1125
                          Bismarck High/St Mary's 1400 + 327 = 1727
                          Bismarck Century 1160
                          Bottineau 224
                          Fargo Davies 1100
                          Fargo North 1006
                          Fargo South/Shanley/Oak Grove 2100 + 335 (7-12) + 195 (7-12) = 2630
                          West Fargo 1475
                          Devils Lake 572
                          Dickinson/Dickinson Trinity 801 + 160 (7-12) = 961
                          Grafton-Park River 265 + 131 = 396
                          Jamestown/Valley City 758 + 375 = 1133
                          Mandan 1020
                          Minot 1797
                          Wahpeton 395
                          Williston 812

Total 18941 Now if the ratio is 50/50 (boys/girls) the total is 9471. You are getting 9 out of that number. I think that's pretty good, but hockey is not played by lots of schools in ND. Of course there are midget teams that are nothing to the quality of the H.S. teams.
                          "My greatest achievement."
                          Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
                            It was later than that. I would say around 97'-02' when about a dozen or so Milwaukee area high schools started new programs(Arrowhead, Homestead, Cedarburg, Germantown, Kenosha, Wauwatosa, Kettle Morraine, Greendale, Whitefish Bay, etc). I think in another five years Wisconsin will pass Illinois and Pennsylvania.

I remember compiling a similar list to this in the early 90's on a prodigy college message board when I was in high school. Minnesota and Mass. had nearly identical numbers as the top two followed by Michigan and New York and then a huge dropoff. I do remember Conneticut's and Alaska's numbers being higher while Wisconsin, Missouri, Pennsylvania had signficantly lower numbers back then. Illinois numbers look about the same. I do remember an article in Hockey News? a few years back that said Massachusetts hockey youth participation was rapidly declining as kids were going for more popular sports like football and basketball and USA hockey was starting some sort of grassroots campaign there to get the numbers back up. I wonder if that program is working.
                            thanks for the clarification on the start dates for those HS programs. My memory is fuzzy on those. IIRC Maco Balcovec was coaching homestead but he's probably gone by now?

as for MASS HS hockey, I just read where Tony Amonte and 2 other NHL'ers have begun coaching at the highschool level (IIRC) in an attempt to get things rolling again.

really, there's no reason for Massachusetts to be too far behind rodentsota. they've got the climate and the population for it
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                              thanks for the clarification on the start dates for those HS programs. My memory is fuzzy on those. IIRC Maco Balcovec was coaching homestead but he's probably gone by now?

as for MASS HS hockey, I just read where Tony Amonte and 2 other NHL'ers have begun coaching at the highschool level (IIRC) in an attempt to get things rolling again.

really, there's no reason for Massachusetts to be too far behind rodentsota. they've got the climate and the population for it
                              A quick search says Balcovec is now the head coach of Whitefish Bay. I believe that would be his 3rd head coaching job in the last 6 years. Got to wonder if the guy has some issues.

Talking to some Boston folks at the Frozen Four and their thoughts that the decline in numbers were directly linked to the decline of the Boston Bruins over the last 20 years. Now with the emergence of the Patriots and Red Sox, and the re-emergence of the Celtics and hockey isn't as popular there as it once was.

Comment

Originally posted by sweatpants View Post
                                Talking to some Boston folks at the Frozen Four and their thoughts that the decline in numbers were directly linked to the decline of the Boston Bruins over the last 20 years. Now with the emergence of the Patriots and Red Sox, and the re-emergence of the Celtics and hockey isn't as popular there as it once was.
                                I still believe the constantly increasing cost of playing hockey has to tie it to the declining numbers in many areas.

Comment

Working...
                                X