Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2010-11 - Part II - The Dream is Still Alive <<<

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
    You really think NU is going to bring in 1-2k extra fans? Unlikely. They don't travel very well from what I've seen.
    They don't show up to their home rink well. It was all parents and families on Saturday.
    —Elliot
    RIT Class of 2008

Comment

Whenever someone starts a sentence with "With all due respect...", one can almost guarantee that they're going to say something disrespectful. Try being nice. We're all on the same side.
      Could not have said it any better myself!

As one of your beloved "long-time fans", I honestly pretty much discount completely the games RIT played vs. NU in the 90's. NU was building a D-I team from scratch (and doing a very good job of it, btw) and just playing in the ECAC West as a pit stop on the way to where they really wanted to go. As would be expected, a very good RIT team went 2-0-1 against an NU team of all freshmen during their first season (96-97). The following season (97-98), NU's talent level became much more evident as they went 2-0-1 against RIT, including the ECAC West Championship game blowout. As a side note, two seasons later, NU made the D-I NCAA's and shocked the world by defeating UNH 5-1 in the first round. So years from now, when one may go back and re-trace the RIT-NU rivalry, those games should really just be a footnote.
      On the other hand... Since RIT moved to D-I and the two teams began to play each other again (no games between the two between 98-99 and 04-05), the two schools made a point to play one another once per season every season despite being in different conferences (note the connection that both of NU's head coaches played at and won National Championships at RIT). Now they are geographically close rivals within the same "pod" of the AHA. So, IMHO, in recent history, RIT has developed a trend of not being able to beat NU. In only 6 seasons, NU is 6-0-2 against RIT. Now that they're going to be playing each other at least 3 times per season for the foreseeable future, it just becomes more and more imperative that RIT get that monkey off their back sooner than later.
      I think it's far from meaningless, especially to the players on the team now. The Seniors are 0-4-2 against the Eagles while the Juniors are 0-4-1. I think they've noticed whether we talk about it or not.
      The wise Grandfather of RIT HOCKEY has spoken.
      R I T HOCKEY
      Frozen Four
      Elite Eight
      NCAA Tournament
      2010-2015-2016
      RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Originally posted by elvo86 View Post
        They don't show up to their home rink well. It was all parents and families on Saturday.
        It's not a matter of Niagara fans showing up to buoy attendance. It's a matter of more RIT fans showing up because, firstly attendance as a whole was up this year (stats posted earlier) and because there are going to be lots of people that want to be on hand to witness the beginning of what could be another cinderella story.

Add to that however many fans we can expect out of Niagara, which I think can probably be up to 1k, and we could have a pretty big crowd. The Niagara crowd at Ritter during Senior night was easily the biggest/loudest away crowd I can recall seeing at Ritter all year. Not necessarily saying much there, but it's certainly worth noting.
        RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
          Add to that however many fans we can expect out of Niagara, which I think can probably be up to 1k, and we could have a pretty big crowd. The Niagara crowd at Ritter during Senior night was easily the biggest/loudest away crowd I can recall seeing at Ritter all year. Not necessarily saying much there, but it's certainly worth noting.
          I know it's been a while, but when NU hosted games at BCA back in 05 and 06 (I think), the number of people wearing purple was nowhere near 1k. I'll give them a pass for the Colgate game as it was on a weeknight in a snowstorm. But the Cornell game drew upwards of 4k (I think) and they were nearly all dressed in Red. There were maybe a couple hundred NU fans there due to the high number of NU families and alumnae in Rochester. But I can't imagine them drawing much more than that even now.
          Can't we all just get along?
          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Don't forget that instead of a regular season game, this would be for an NCAA tournament appearance. I'm sure that will draw more NU fans on a Saturday.
            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
            2010 Frozen Four participant
            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

I want to start off with by stating I really enjoy this forum, I am a Purple Eagle Alum and fan, but I think this forum is great. If RIT, Canisius and Niagara can start having great rivals that we can all enjoy the AHA will only rise. That is why I enjoy this forum because it puts the AHA on the map. I do think that the AHA was a weak conference in years past. The addition of RIT has only helped the conference become stronger, but now with Robert Morris and Niagara the league is strong. The top 5 teams in league are RIT, Niagara (still need to prove themselves that they are for real), RMU, AFA, and Mercyhurst. There are some other teams that are better than I thought.

The reason why I am posting: Niagara fans do not always follow hockey like RIT. It is obvious RIT is very passionate about its hockey, which it should be due to it being the only DI sport. It is great for WNY. If Niagara and RIT make it to the BCA you will see a much larger NU crowd. The school will bring at least 2 buses of students and there will be a strong following of family. The reason there was a small NU crowd Friday is because 1) RIT sells out quick (I got tix though!!) and 2) students were on break. The reason why there were no students to the game Saturday (Niagara was on break). So I believe you would see a larger student section in the first round of the playoffs and if they make it to the BCA. Another thing that hurts the hockey turn out is if Basketball is playing, that always takes precedents.

That is my two cents, like I said I do enjoy this forum and I hope no one takes this as me *****ing or anything, just thought I would explain why there may have been a small student showing. Good luck in the AHA playoffs and I really hope it is a NU vs. RIT final. It would be like Canada vs. USA lol
              Niagara University

Class of 2009 and 2011

Comment

Well, that is pure BS ... I was there, and I am neither. I traveled from Roswell, GA. And I saw a lot of people there that were neither parents nor family.
                GO PURPS!
                Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

I think he was basically just stating there was a weak student section...which there was , the students are out for spring break right now. I have been at NU for awhile and follow their sports religiously. Basketball is a huge draw, hockey tends to have some difficulty drawing. I do believe attendance was up this year due to the new teams the AHA conference brought in. In all, RIT sells out a lot more and I believe the two rinks have the same capacity? NU made the rink the "right" size in terms of selling it out, but they will never be able to bring in the big dogs (i.e. Michigan, Wisconsin, Miami-OH). Unfortunately RIT is going to be on the map a lot better now due to the new rink. Hopefully Niagara will see this and try to renovate, even though they did once to add 100 more seats.
                  Niagara University

Class of 2009 and 2011

Comment

Nah, he was taking a shot ... I was also at RIT on Friday. Great atmosphere there, so hats off to RIT. Keep in mind, it is a much larger school than Niagara, and hockey is their only D-1 sport (I believe). Niagara bball is #1 sport on NU campus due to much longer, richer tradition there as compared with hockey. Also, ROC v NF population to draw from to fill up the same size arena ... no comparison.
                    GO PURPS!
                    Real Men wear PURPLE!

www.gwinnettgladiators.com

I am ... a New Yorker by birth, Southern by the Grace of God

Comment

Originally posted by 5hole View Post
                      Well, that is pure BS ... I was there, and I am neither. I traveled from Roswell, GA. And I saw a lot of people there that were neither parents nor family.
                      So......if it wasn't parents, and not family, and not students who would be on break, then who made up the 1127 attendees at the game?

I'm just messing with you here because you get to eat 'grits' and 'corn bread' all the time and I don't.

Fan attendance aside, it really only matters what happens on the ice. Enjoy the extra set of games you get to watch this weekend.(and no, that's not a shot).
                      RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

@5hole: I meant what PurpAlum said. I was unaware that it was your break week too. Most of the people there Saturday were *not* students, that's all I was saying.

Also, while there was a not insignificant NU fan section at the Friday game, I think the biggest visiting fan section I saw this year was from Mercyhurst, which surprised me. They had a huge swath of people in the corner diagonally across the ice from the Corner Crew.
                        —Elliot
                        RIT Class of 2008

Comment

@5hole: I meant what PurpAlum said. I was unaware that it was your break week too. Most of the people there Saturday were *not* students, that's all I was saying.

Also, while there was a not insignificant NU fan section at the Friday game, I think the biggest visiting fan section I saw this year was from Mercyhurst, which surprised me. They had a huge swath of people in the corner diagonally across the ice from the Corner Crew.
                          Two of Mercyhurst's players are from Rochester. Gurtler, a senior is one of them. Would not be surprised if they had a lot of friends and relatives show up for that.

As a Niagara fan who does not live in the area I am kind of surprised they don't draw better at home. I know Basketball is #1 there but Hockey is having a much better year and the team is exciting to watch. There have been times when both Basketball and Hockey have played at home at the same time so I think a better distribution of the schedule would help as well. Should it take off the arena is designed for expansion and another 1500 seats could be added I believe. But for now there is no need for it.

Comment

we can't give other schools too hard a time for small fanbases. relative to the size of our student body, our attendance is in the bottom 3rd of D1 and this is the only real sport we offer. our rink size obviously holds us back some, but we still have room for improvement.

of course, while we may lack some in numbers we have a loyal core of fans who are quite vocal. see: the frozen four
                            i refuse to take out my keys.

ritter arena, ira wilson arena, dwyer arena, tate rink, blue cross arena, buffalo state sports arena, houston fieldhouse, times union center, ford field, messa rink

Comment

Originally posted by dutchbrowncoat View Post
                              our rink size obviously holds us back some, but we still have room for improvement.
                              We came really close to selling out all the games. All home games were sold out this year with the exception of three games during break weeks. (Of a max attendance of 2100, those attendances were 1759, 1683 and 2045.) That puts us at 813 people shy of a perfect attendance year. Not bad!
                              TIGERS HOCKEY
                              Rochester Institute of Technology

Comment

Originally posted by RITMRC Tiger View Post
                                We came really close to selling out all the games. All home games were sold out this year with the exception of three games during break weeks. (Of a max attendance of 2100, those attendances were 1759, 1683 and 2045.) That puts us at 813 people shy of a perfect attendance year. Not bad!
                                agreed, attendance has been great this year and i hope the sellouts continue! i am not trying to discredit our fan base by any means, just trying to say we should (sort of) take it easy on niagara, canisius, mercyhurst, etc. we are 4x bigger than these schools, are from a bigger city, are the only D1 team in town, and have no other competition for sports fans at our school...we SHOULD outdraw them and travel better.

it must be said that our women's attendance is exceptional. of course, having a great team does help that.
                                i refuse to take out my keys.

ritter arena, ira wilson arena, dwyer arena, tate rink, blue cross arena, buffalo state sports arena, houston fieldhouse, times union center, ford field, messa rink

Comment

Working...
                                X