Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2010-11 - Part II - The Dream is Still Alive <<<

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
    And on the note of offense, you do realize that 5 players are in double digits in goals, so they must be doing something right.
    You are correct, but the top 2 are on the same top line that I was talking about. The other 3 are barely in double figures (10, 10, and 11), and we are 31 games into the season. I'm not saying everyone should score 20, but I am very concerned about postseason play. As we start playing against tougher opponents, I find it hard to believe any line except our top line will be able to score consistently.

You may also notice that the 3 other guys are Hartley, Janda, and Mitchell. Those are the 3 big men I talked about earlier. They do the majority of the scoring for their line.

After a little bit of math, I can put things into perspective a bit. The top line has scored 39 goals. The defense has scored 10. Meaning the remaining 3 offensive lines are averaging less than 20 goals. I will admit that the top line gets more playing time, but those numbers need to get closer. If your top line is producing twice as many goals as the others, you're becoming a one-line team. This is especially true if we play tough opponents in the future.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying that our offense is awful, that's simply not true. However, we are a very good team. If we're looking for something to improve on, it's not necessarily going to be something we are awful at, just something that needs some improvement.

Comment

See comments on Burt and now Murphy.
      And rightfully so... When a player plays like crap, you tell him. Get mad at him! You don't "better luck next time". These are athletes not kids! They can handle it.
      R I T HOCKEY
      Frozen Four
      Elite Eight
      NCAA Tournament
      2010-2015-2016
      RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
        These are athletes not kids! They can handle it.
        Well, Kyle Bushee and and Carl Hudson not withstanding
        "Make-up call, thank you!"

Comment

Originally posted by slewwwwwfoot! View Post
          Well, Kyle Bushee and and Carl Hudson not withstanding
          BOOOOOOOOO!!!

Sorry, habit.

Comment

Originally posted by Haaafs View Post
            BOOOOOOOOO!!!

Sorry, habit.
            You mean I'm not the only one who gets a facial tic every time a #2 picks up the puck? I'm just glad it's retired for my Sabres...
            The Rochester Institute of Technology
            sigpic

Comment

See comments on Burt and now Murphy.
              Ironcially Andrew Peters was remarking how much he liked the physical game Murphy was bringing during the Canisius broadcast last Sunday
              RIT Tigers
              Atlantic Hockey Regular Season Champions: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
              Atlantic Hockey Tournament Champions: 2010, 2015, 2016
              Frozen Four Appearances: 2010

Comment

You are correct, but the top 2 are on the same top line that I was talking about. The other 3 are barely in double figures (10, 10, and 11), and we are 31 games into the season. I'm not saying everyone should score 20, but I am very concerned about postseason play. As we start playing against tougher opponents, I find it hard to believe any line except our top line will be able to score consistently.
                This looks like a post from last season Last year our top goal scorer had 16, the next 2 had 15 and 13 and then there are a couple with 10-11 goals. 3 of top goal scorers were defensemen and the big debate was who was going to score all the goals? This years debate is about goalies (resolved)

You may also notice that the 3 other guys are Hartley, Janda, and Mitchell. Those are the 3 big men I talked about earlier. They do the majority of the scoring for their line.
                Mitchell, to me, brings more of a finesse game. He might be taller but he is pretty slim. Janda and Hartley have a little more meat and bring a little bit more physical game

After a little bit of math, I can put things into perspective a bit. The top line has scored 39 goals. The defense has scored 10. Meaning the remaining 3 offensive lines are averaging less than 20 goals. I will admit that the top line gets more playing time, but those numbers need to get closer. If your top line is producing twice as many goals as the others, you're becoming a one-line team. This is especially true if we play tough opponents in the future.
                I believe last years top line was Brenner, Burt, Mazzei? They ended up with 41 goals (15, 16, 10) through 41 games. This years top line of Brenner, Favot, and Lynch has 39 goals so they are actually on pace to be more productive than last year. As a team they ended up with about 145 goals for 3.5 average a game. Right now we have 106 in 31 for a 3.4 game average.

Don't forget this is a lot different than the NHL. Someone like Favot, with 12 goals in 31 games, would be pace for around 30 in a 82 game NHL season which is considered excellent.

Ironically I was one of the ones crying about the scoring last year. Guess I had a lot to learn myself
                RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by cplinford View Post
                  I believe last years top line was Brenner, Burt, Mazzei? They ended up with 41 goals (15, 16, 10) through 41 games. This years top line of Brenner, Favot, and Lynch has 39 goals so they are actually on pace to be more productive than last year. As a team they ended up with about 145 goals for 3.5 average a game. Right now we have 106 in 31 for a 3.4 game average.

Don't forget this is a lot different than the NHL. Someone like Favot, with 12 goals in 31 games, would be pace for around 30 in a 82 game NHL season which is considered excellent.
                  Actually, the fact that our top line is more productive this year and the fact that we have less goals per game kinda proves my point. We've turned into more of a 1-line team. So long as that line keeps producing, we'll be fine. But if we run into a team that matches up well against that top line, we're going to struggle to produce goals. If we are able to continue scoring in this fashion, and are able to keep up the 3.4 goals per game, I think we'll be ok. I'm just worried about the better competition we are likely to run into in the postseason.

Comment

Actually, the fact that our top line is more productive this year and the fact that we have less goals per game kinda proves my point. We've turned into more of a 1-line team. So long as that line keeps producing, we'll be fine. But if we run into a team that matches up well against that top line, we're going to struggle to produce goals. If we are able to continue scoring in this fashion, and are able to keep up the 3.4 goals per game, I think we'll be ok. I'm just worried about the better competition we are likely to run into in the postseason.
                    The point I was trying to make, was last year we were worried that the offense couldn't score. So, when the chips were down in the playoffs, would the team come through. The answer is they did. This year the offense is now scoring (while the d isn't) for virtually the same amount of goals. So the moral of the story is I believe the team will find a way

Believe me there were many people on here in a panic about the goal scoring last year. I believe Naeger (among others) told us all to relax and turns out he was right
                    RIT Tigers

Comment

I actually never had a problem with last year's offense. We could basically roll 4 lines; the distributed scoring is a good thing in that we don't live or die by a few people.

I don't think the disparity from line to line is a big deal this year, though. That said, I've not taken a look into exact numbers and who is doing the scoring for a given line.
                      "Make-up call, thank you!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rochester View Post
                        And rightfully so... When a player plays like crap, you tell him. Get mad at him! You don't "better luck next time". These are athletes not kids! They can handle it.
                        I don't think they are playing like crap.
                        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                        2010 Frozen Four participant
                        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

RIT has a lot of players who are capable of scoring goals. I'm not worried about that. But that's not their main role. Knowles is a classic example of that. He came to RIT as a prolific goal scorer. But he hasn't been nearly as prolific. He is certainly capable of it - as we have seen flashes of it. But he is also one of the better defensive forwards on the team.

I think to many people here have the panties in a wad over nothing and are looking for things to complain about. The Tigers won a regular season title! They will be close to as many regular season points (league and OOC) as they had all of last year (remember they didn't win OOC until the NCAAs while this year's team picked up 3 points with a win over Cornell and a tie against Lowell).
                          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2010 Frozen Four participant
                          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

The Tigers won a regular season title!
                            And they did it with 2 weeks remaining in the regular season! Nobody in any other conference is close to that kind of performance. In the others, first and second place are currently separated by 1 point or fewer.
                            -M

Comment

Originally posted by RITProf View Post
                              And they did it with 2 weeks remaining in the regular season! Nobody in any other conference is close to that kind of performance. In the others, first and second place are currently separated by 1 point or fewer.
                              And we haven't lost in the past 15 AHA games and haven't lost at the Ritter since last season.
                              RIT Tigers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln145QKj2pE - A video I shot of Ricky Walton's penalty shot vs. Canisius 11/2/07. It ended up being the game winner.

2013-14 AHA Pick 'Em Champion!

Comment

Originally posted by Bing View Post
                                and haven't lost at the Ritter in conference since last season.
                                fixed post
                                Can't we all just get along?
                                Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Working...
                                X