>>> RIT Tigers 2010-11 - Part II - The Dream is Still Alive <<<

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2010-11 - Part II - The Dream is Still Alive <<<

Inside College Hockey has Shane as their player of the week and a nice but short write up on the defense.

http://insidecollegehockey.com/inch/...rstshift_0920/
    RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
      I don't think anyone is debating how hard Burt plays. But there is a differance between playing hard and playing smart. We know Burt is capable is better play. If he plays a little smarter, RIT could very well be a factor again in the post season.
      I'm not sure Burt is the main issue going into the postseason. I think the main issue is our offense in general. Favot and Brenner have been carrying us offensively. They have a great connection. However, the other lines are lackluster. While the top line seems to have a strategy for attacking the net, the other lines seem to just be passing around in hopes that an opportunity presents itself on its own. (Which usually happens through a defensive mistake.) Maybe that means more/different designed plays. Maybe that means mixing up the lines. I thought Smith did a fantastic job filling in. He might be a key to bringing in more goals from the other lines.

I mean sure, discipline is always something that needs to be addressed. But we are drawing just as many penalties as we are getting. And since we score more power play goals than we give up, I'm actually not too concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Haaafs View Post
        I'm not sure Burt is the main issue going into the postseason. I think the main issue is our offense in general. Favot and Brenner have been carrying us offensively. They have a great connection. However, the other lines are lackluster. While the top line seems to have a strategy for attacking the net, the other lines seem to just be passing around in hopes that an opportunity presents itself on its own. (Which usually happens through a defensive mistake.) Maybe that means more/different designed plays. Maybe that means mixing up the lines. I thought Smith did a fantastic job filling in. He might be a key to bringing in more goals from the other lines.

I mean sure, discipline is always something that needs to be addressed. But we are drawing just as many penalties as we are getting. And since we score more power play goals than we give up, I'm actually not too concerned.
        Murphy's performance has been of concern to me this year. I don't know if he's playing hurt or was told to take the edge off, but he doesn't seem to be cruising around the offensive zone killing anything that moves like he did last season. I want to know where angry Murph went? The Animal needs to be let out of his cage.
        e^x, dx/dy, Janni wants some apple pie

Go Tigers.

Comment

Originally posted by Haaafs View Post
          From what I've seen, that offensive strategy that's working for the top line is "Brenner fights his way to the top of the crease." I'm not sure if other lines aren't trying this or if we don't have that capability on other lines, but Brenner is notable for it.

Originally posted by Haaafs
          As was mentioned above - PIMs may be roughly equal, but PP opportunities are slanted against us (I think the number was 33 more against). Granted, a PP opportunity could last 5 seconds or 5 minutes and be counted the same; but 33 is a large enough figure that it seems significant.
          "Make-up call, thank you!"

Comment

Originally posted by slewwwwwfoot! View Post
            From what I've seen, that offensive strategy that's working for the top line is "Brenner fights his way to the top of the crease." I'm not sure if other lines aren't trying this or if we don't have that capability on other lines, but Brenner is notable for it.
            I never said it was a complex strategy. Haha. But you're right on the money. The other lines rarely have players camping in front of the net. I'm not sure why. I'm sure the majority of Brenner's goals aren't pretty, but since when are we a finesse team? We have a couple guys who have plenty of size. Certainly I wouldn't expect Knowles to sit there. Mitchell, Hartley, and Janda are all big guys. I'm sure they could handle sitting in front of the net.

Too often I see the puck stuck in the corner and all 3 forwards trying to dig it out. Sure, that increases the odds of winning the puck control battle, but what are they going to do when they win it? Their only options are to try to take it to the net themselves somehow or send it to the point. Then the guy at the point either has to take a low-percentage shot or do nothing, because no forward is in a position to score and no one is screening the goaltender. If they're lucky, the other defenseman catches the other team sleeping and can slip into the slot, but that's a pretty rare case.

Comment

Madolora leads USCHO's Three Stars of the Week:

http://www.uscho.com/2011/02/16/mado...rs-for-feb-16/

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post

Nice! I made sure to submit him
                "Make-up call, thank you!"

Comment

Originally posted by slewwwwwfoot! View Post
                  Nice! I made sure to submit him

Same here.

Comment

Same here.

And on the note of offense, you do realize that 5 players are in double digits in goals, so they must be doing something right.
                    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2010 Frozen Four participant
                    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Me too!
                      -M

Comment

Gee, I seem to remember discussion at the start of the season that some folks here wanted to never let him back in net again. It's amazing how a .938SV%, 1.818GAA, and 14-0-6 record quiets that kind of talk. Luckily his coaches and teammates didn't lose faith in him......
                        John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                        AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                        AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                        NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                        NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                        NCAA DII - 1983
                        NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                          Gee, I seem to remember discussion at the start of the season that some folks here wanted to never let him back in net again. It's amazing how a .938SV%, 1.818GAA, and 14-0-6 record quiets that kind of talk. Luckily his coaches and teammates didn't lose faith in him......
                          i'll admit fault on that.... but what do u expect fans to do other than overreact to everything? Thats what they are. fans. they over analyze.

Comment

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post
                            i'll admit fault on that.... but what do u expect fans to do other than overreact to everything? Thats what they are. fans. they over analyze.
                            See comments on Burt and now Murphy.
                            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2010 Frozen Four participant
                            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
                              Your memory serves you well

It's about time he started getting some national recognition!

At the regionals, it will be......."Crap, it's those guys again!"
                              RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post
                                I remember reading an interview with Bill Buckner a couple of years ago. He related that he was amazed at the number of Sox fans who asked him how he didn't commit suicide the winter after his infamous error against the Mets in the WS cost Boston the game and perhaps the series. His perspective was that if players were as emotionally involved as the fans they'd be so up tight they wouldn't be able to play the game.

Of course, as a player would you rather perform in front of an arena full of disinterested butts sitting in the seats, or a crowd of crazies who live and breathe on every play???
                                John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
                                AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
                                AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
                                NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
                                NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
                                NCAA DII - 1983
                                NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

Working...
                                X