Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2010-11 - Part II - The Dream is Still Alive <<<

Originally posted by kbranch View Post
    There is absolutely no reason why Burt needed to back down at all this past weekend. He attracted a lot of attention from Canisius and it led to a totally embarassing mess of a weekend for them. This is hardly the weekend to draw any conclusions about Burt - we won twice by a combined score of 9 - 0.
    So the team's success is a blocker for Burt's performance? Players can only be criticized if we lose?

That's obviously absurd. So the only thing there seems to be to take from your post is that Burt helped us win by taking the actions d4rksabre mentions.

Now, this is obviously a subjective thing - but I'd personally rather lose honorably and deservedly than win through such means. Not that I think such means were crucial to our success, we played pretty clean overall; but that just makes it all the more frustrating.
    "Make-up call, thank you!"

Comment

Originally posted by kbranch View Post
      There is absolutely no reason why Burt needed to back down at all this past weekend. He attracted a lot of attention from Canisius and it led to a totally embarassing mess of a weekend for them. This is hardly the weekend to draw any conclusions about Burt - we won twice by a combined score of 9 - 0.
      I'm not basing my opinions solely on this weekends play. This has been a trend all season that McReynolds has been guilty of too. Again, I understand playing aggressive, but it has come close to being the difference between a tie and a loss this season.

The games against Niagara will be the big show of whether RIT can keep the penalties down and step up to win against the only team in the AHA that has made them look silly this season. Being on home ice will be good for us, and hopefully the officiating wont be nearly as awful as it was back in November. A win at home against Niagara would be great momentum for the next night at Niagara.
      e^x, dx/dy, Janni wants some apple pie

Go Tigers.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
        If RMU (or anyone else for that matter) loses to RIT in the AHA finals, who cares what the PWR is? The Tigers wouldn't need an at-large selection if they win.

And besides, RIT is nowhere near qualifying for the tourney as an at-large. They would have to move up from 24th to 15th place in 5 weeks in order to qualify. I doubt a 5-5 record would be good enough to flip that many comparisons at this late date (although I don't have the time to look up those teams' records vs. TUCs).
        I realize that an at-large bid is out of the question if they lose in the tournament, but I think avoiding the 16th overall seed is realistic if they win out and RoMo stays as a TUC. Their RPI will obviously improve by winning out (would be 7 in a row) most likely flipping several comparisions against teams they pass, and I know as of right now comparisons with Michigan and someone else (forget who) would flip with a 5-5 record vs TUC...

EDIT: Just looked it up. Comparisons against Maine, Princeton, and Wisconsin would instantly flip to RIT if they had a 5-5 TUC record at this point.
        Last edited by jflory81; 02-14-2011, 11:35 PM.

Comment

I am certain Coach Wilson will figure it out among players. I would say he would be the best judge of how Burt has been playing more than any of us. Remember, I believe it was last year or the year before that he benched both Burt and Favot for their play/effort.

I know I have my previews on Facebook. I don't believe I have been critical of anyone in particular play. shrugs.
          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2010 Frozen Four participant
          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Sometimes perceptions can cloud the facts.

Here are the stats for this year so far.

http://www.ritathletics.com/custompa...e.htm#TEAM.IND

McRenyolds leads the team (by a large margin) in penalties and in majors (3) as well.
            He is followed by 5 other Tigers (for minor penalties) and then you get to Burt and a few others. Burt and Mitchell contribute two majors each.

Of course these don't show 'level of effort' during a game and I'll leave that up to you guys to discuss further as it seems your enjoying it very much.

Want to win in the play-offs.....

Cut down on the penalties (the smart ones, the dumb ones and the indifferent)

Play the full 60

Everybody has to step up.

And last but not least, don't allow the other team to score!
            RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

Originally posted by Bing View Post
              McReynolds has been sick. He'll probably play in the next game.
              But who do you sit? Burt? Knowles and Smith have both been playing well.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                But who do you sit? Burt? Knowles and Smith have both been playing well.

Powers &8^]
                couldnt we just not dress one of the goalies?

Comment

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I feel like Burt plays his hardest when he's making bad decisions, and I actually encourage some of the things he does. That may sound like a bad thing, but the guy is trying to make plays and fire the team up. When he's not making questionable passes and retaliating is generally when I think he's not giving it his all. It's obvious that other teams are not letting him into open space. I truly believe it started against Wisconsin last year. I was there watching the game, and I noticed that every time he had the puck, there were at least 2 guys on him. Teams this year have "copied" that style of play against him. He was our biggest playmaker, and I think he can still be that guy. Sure, a little more discipline couldn't hurt. But for every penalty he's getting, he's drawing at least one. I was not a fan of the cross-check last Friday, but I understand why he did it. He got hit into the boards, looked up at the ref, and when there was no call, he wanted to make sure the opposing player knew he wasn't just going to take that kind of hit. I encourage his intensity at those times, and sometimes I feel like some of the other players need to match that intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by Zyklon View Post
                    couldnt we just not dress one of the goalies?
                    You could, but then you'd be stuck with 13 forwards and only four lines to put them on.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                      You could, but then you'd be stuck with 13 forwards and only four lines to put them on.
                      Actually, you can't. You're limited to 18 skaters and up to 3 goalies. Only dressing 2 goalies doesn't change the fact that you can only dress 18 skaters.
                      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Sometimes I read these posts and laugh. I read about penalties, refs, lineups, certain players, goalies, goon opposition....and you guys have a first place and defending Frozen Four team....

What do you think AIC or Sacred Heart are complaining about right now?

Comment

Originally posted by Ref Hater View Post
                          Nothing. That's their biggest problem... no fans.
                          Can't we all just get along?
                          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Ref Hater View Post
                            Sometimes I read these posts and laugh. I read about penalties, refs, lineups, certain players, goalies, goon opposition....and you guys have a first place and defending Frozen Four team....

We complain because we care.
                            e^x, dx/dy, Janni wants some apple pie

Go Tigers.

Comment

Originally posted by Haaafs View Post
                              It's obvious that other teams are not letting him into open space. I truly believe it started against Wisconsin last year. I was there watching the game, and I noticed that every time he had the puck, there were at least 2 guys on him. Teams this year have "copied" that style of play against him. He was our biggest playmaker, and I think he can still be that guy. Sure, a little more discipline couldn't hurt. But for every penalty he's getting, he's drawing at least one. I was not a fan of the cross-check last Friday, but I understand why he did it. He got hit into the boards, looked up at the ref, and when there was no call, he wanted to make sure the opposing player knew he wasn't just going to take that kind of hit. I encourage his intensity at those times, and sometimes I feel like some of the other players need to match that intensity.
                              Burt's role has changed this year for sure. It is no surprise that teams key on him - he got a lot of exposure last year and we are no longer a team of best-kept secrets. In this regard we are a victim of our own successes, but this is a good problem to have. We can roll with it and adapt, or we can fight it and self destruct. I agree that Wilson usually has a handle on these types of challenges.
                              KBranch

Comment

Originally posted by Haaafs View Post
                                Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I feel like Burt plays his hardest when he's making bad decisions, and I actually encourage some of the things he does. That may sound like a bad thing, but the guy is trying to make plays and fire the team up.
                                I don't think anyone is debating how hard Burt plays. But there is a differance between playing hard and playing smart. We know Burt is capable is better play. If he plays a little smarter, RIT could very well be a factor again in the post season.
                                2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                                2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                                2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                                2010 Frozen Four participant
                                2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Working...
                                X