The 59th Annual Beanpot Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 59th Annual Beanpot Tournament

I think England fans take the cake for offending their rivals(Germany) fans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJWDl4j-wHU

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
      Not that anyone would do it, but if BC (or any) fans did a chant chiding Jewish people about the Holocaust, you'd be offended, trust me. Fortunately, there is no one that disgusting and vile to do such a thing.
      1) I live by the mantra "it takes two to tango." It's very hard to offend me, because I feel that you need to allow your self to get offended in order to do so. So tough skin works, in that case.

2) A joke about the Holocaust wouldn't make any sense. The only thing I could think of would be the Hellen Keller-type jokes (which are funny, in some places and times). But once again, why would you joke at the expense of the victims? I think that the anti-BC chant can be misconstrued as being at the expense of the victims, which though not the way I saw it, is enough to warrant its retirement.
      Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
      ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Whatever you do, DON'T mention the war! I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
          1) I live by the mantra "it takes two to tango." It's very hard to offend me, because I feel that you need to allow your self to get offended in order to do so. So tough skin works, in that case.

2) A joke about the Holocaust wouldn't make any sense. The only thing I could think of would be the Hellen Keller-type jokes (which are funny, in some places and times). But once again, why would you joke at the expense of the victims? I think that the anti-BC chant can be misconstrued as being at the expense of the victims, which though not the way I saw it, is enough to warrant its retirement.
          I dont think you have to think that deeply about it. It's a topic that really shouldn't be made fun of. The people you are chiding are the children, NOT the priests, so it's best to just let it go.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
            I dont think you have to think that deeply about it. It's a topic that really shouldn't be made fun of. The people you are chiding are the children, NOT the priests, so it's best to just let it go.
            I agree, and I said that a few times. It's a horribly worded chant that could easily offend people.
            ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

I agree, and I said that a few times. It's a horribly worded chant that could easily offend people.
              Thank you Terrier, I'm glad we see eye to eye on this chant.

Comment

I just wanted to pop in and say that I understand how people could get offended in the joke; it certainly does (at the very least) bound a fine line. Although I disagree with some of the arguments (that it's a chant against a religion, mostly. In my view it's a chant against people and their actions), I can see that it's a very, very sensitive subject. Perhaps it is time to retire that chant. I also want to apologize if anyone was offended by this discussion, for which I am very much responsible. It's not exactly a good topic for the hockey thread.

If you'll allow me to touch on one other point, re: Holocaust (I'm Jewish). It's a false equivalency, AdamBC, because the Jews were the victims (I previously said that, as is, the object and subject of the chant in question can be confused), it wouldn't be kosher (no pun intended). However, if you were to joke about it to German people, as the Brits did circa 1966, I think it would be funnier and more appropriate.
                Thanks for clarifying, Terrier. Although I would never compare the Catholic priests scandal to the Holocaust, jokes or chants about it could hurt some people just as deeply as jokes or chants about the Holocaust could. What if there's someone in the crowd who actually was molested by a priest when they were younger? That's not something they should have to relive at a hockey game, at a place where they're supposed to be having fun.
                Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                  Thanks for clarifying, Terrier. Although I would never compare the Catholic priests scandal to the Holocaust, jokes or chants about it could hurt some people just as deeply as jokes or chants about the Holocaust could. What if there's someone in the crowd who actually was molested by a priest when they were younger? That's not something they should have to relive at a hockey game, at a place where they're supposed to be having fun.
                  No, and a few pages ago, that revelation dawned on me. While the subject (and target) were the priests accused, I did not realize the potential collaterial damage the cheer could cause.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
                    Whatever you do, DON'T mention the war! I mentioned it once but I think I got away with it.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xnNhzgcWTk

Well glad to see this thread was Godwinned. I was afraid for a while this Beanpot thread would not live up to being like past threads but we've mentioned rape, pedophiles, travis roy, drunk drivers, craigslist killer, and holocaust. We just need some drunk NU fans to make fun of people dying in fires and getting hit by the T and we will be all set.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionJoe View Post
                      We just need some drunk NU fans to make fun of people dying in fires and getting hit by the T and we will be all set.
                      I almost did... Since I'm going to be a dad, I refrained from that.
                      Originally posted by Bakunin
                      Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Well glad to see this thread was Godwinned.
                        Hate to break it to you, but since there were no comparisons of anyone to the Nazis or Hitler, I believe I sidestepped Godwin's Law.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamBC View Post
                          Hate to break it to you, but since there were no comparisons of anyone to the Nazis or Hitler, I believe I sidestepped Godwin's Law.
                          I almost did that one too, but again, I refrained myself....
                          Originally posted by Bakunin
                          Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xnNhzgcWTk

Well glad to see this thread was Godwinned. I was afraid for a while this Beanpot thread would not live up to being like past threads but we've mentioned rape, pedophiles, travis roy, drunk drivers, craigslist killer, and holocaust. We just need some drunk NU fans to make fun of people dying in fires and getting hit by the T and we will be all set.
                            What if it's about drunk Eagles driving a jeep in front of a T??? BC doesn't have a game on Saturday night, keep Samuelsson away from Jeeps.
                            Northeastern Huskies Class of 2012

Comment

Originally posted by smalogna View Post
                              What if it's about drunk Eagles driving a jeep in front of a T??? BC doesn't have a game on Saturday night, keep Samuelsson away from Jeeps.
                              "Drunk Eagles" weren't driving and the MBTA assumed responsibility, but never let facts get in the way of a good rant!

Comment

Originally posted by AdamBC View Post
                                Dude, why do you have to be such a Goodwin's Law Nazi?

Comment

Working...
                                X