Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 59th Annual Beanpot Tournament

Originally posted by pirate View Post
    Can somebody find Theissen'sBetter and have him/her delete this thread?

TB, if you read this, I promise to somehow get the money for at least one beer to you if you put this cesspool out of its misery.
    BLASPHEMY! How dare you try to take away from the tradition of poor jokes and stupid arguments that is the Beanpot thread.
    Celebrating 20 Years of TheDogHouse

Comment

Originally posted by DaveStPaul View Post
      Earlier, . . .
      No idea what your point is...

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
      So it's OK for a comedian to make a joke about it to a national even international audience, but it's not OK for a student section to make chant about it. That's messed up. If you have a probelm with it, you can't say it's OK for this person to do it but it's not OK for this person to do it. If you're going to make that distinction, it will continue to be made fun of because you're an idiot. I wouldn't have a problem if you were against even comedians making jokes, but this makes you hypocritical.
      Sorry, there's nothing hypocritical about it. They are two entirely different situations. Many comedians are known for over the top "jokes". That's just how it is in that business. Plus, I never said I am ok with comedians making jokes like that. Not sure how you don't see the difference here. Also, the target audience of comedy shows is not the same as a college hockey game. When's the last time you saw a 12 year old kid at a comedy show? People go to comedy shows expecting to hear jokes like that. I don't attend college hockey games expecting to hear garbage like the priest jokes.

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
      Although I don't go to a Catholic school, I am Catholic, and I can assure you those two are not on the same level. The priest jokes... yeah, they bother me, but I find it kind of easy to just ignore them and not let them get to me. Travis Roy jokes make me legitimately upset. If I ever heard someone say some of the things I've seen posted in person, I'd probably punch them in the face.
      I've never hear an anti-Roy chant from any fan base, but not saying it hasn't happened. Hard for me to say what level each is on, so I'll just say that neither has any place in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
        Religious jokes/chants about things like that at games cross the line. Do you think it would be cool to make anti-Jewish remarks if you were at a game at Brandeis University?
        It sounds more like BU fans would make Holocaust jokes if they ever played Brandeis since...

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
        It's based on something that happened, and something that was never resolved. And, for that reason, the jokes continue.
        ...ya know with the whole Nuremberg Defense meaning that for many survivors it was never resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
          Can somebody find Theissen'sBetter and have him/her delete this thread?

TB, if you read this, I promise to somehow get the money for at least one beer to you if you put this cesspool out of its misery.
          No way, this is what makes the thread enjoyable.
          Originally posted by Bakunin
          Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            No idea what your point is...
            DaveStPaul usually has no point. He's like Brick Tamland... ******** and he likes to say pointless stuff like "LOUD NOISES!!!!!" and "I love lamp" so he can just be a part of the conversation.
            Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
            The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Sorry, there's nothing hypocritical about it. They are two entirely different situations. Many comedians are known for over the top "jokes". That's just how it is in that business. Plus, I never said I am ok with comedians making jokes like that. Not sure how you don't see the difference here. Also, the target audience of comedy shows is not the same as a college hockey game. When's the last time you saw a 12 year old kid at a comedy show? People go to comedy shows expecting to hear jokes like that. I don't attend college hockey games expecting to hear garbage like the priest jokes.
              I'm sorry but it is. Doesn't matter who the target audience is. If you're against it, be against all of it. Don't pick and choose that's it's OK for a comedian to say it and its not OK at a college hockey game. Most 12 year olds know how to find something on youtube. Just about anything that's been said is there. They can find jokes like this and I can tell you some of the worst jokes I know, I learned when I was 10. And that was before it was everywhere on the internet. And you go to college hockey games. By nature of who attends, you should expect some of the worst garbage to come out of students mouths because of the immature nature of the STUDENTS. Be against all of it or none of it. Don't be a hypocrite.
              Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

holy hell this has gotten out of hand...priest jokes and roy jokes are both out of line, I say we move on

Comment

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
                  I'm sorry but it is. Doesn't matter who the target audience is. If you're against it, be against all of it. Don't pick and choose that's it's OK for a comedian to say it and its not OK at a college hockey game. Most 12 year olds know how to find something on youtube. Just about anything that's been said is there. They can find jokes like this and I can tell you some of the worst jokes I know, I learned when I was 10. And that was before it was everywhere on the internet. And you go to college hockey games. By nature of who attends, you should expect some of the worst garbage to come out of students mouths because of the immature nature of the STUDENTS. Be against all of it or none of it. Don't be a hypocrite.
                  So what part about me not being for it in either situation did you not understand?

Comment

So what part about me not being for it in either situation did you not understand?
                    I went to NU and I'm an Engineer. I can't read!

Comment

So are we all cool with craigslist killer jokes?

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                        He was a med student, he doesn't count... only undergrads count.
                        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                          He was a med student, he doesn't count... only undergrads count.
                          False.
                          Northeastern Huskies Class of 2012

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                            I think we'd be cool with it if you were his victim...

Comment

I just wanted to pop in and say that I understand how people could get offended in the joke; it certainly does (at the very least) bound a fine line. Although I disagree with some of the arguments (that it's a chant against a religion, mostly. In my view it's a chant against people and their actions), I can see that it's a very, very sensitive subject. Perhaps it is time to retire that chant. I also want to apologize if anyone was offended by this discussion, for which I am very much responsible. It's not exactly a good topic for the hockey thread.

If you'll allow me to touch on one other point, re: Holocaust (I'm Jewish). It's a false equivalency, AdamBC, because the Jews were the victims (I previously said that, as is, the object and subject of the chant in question can be confused), it wouldn't be kosher (no pun intended). However, if you were to joke about it to German people, as the Brits did circa 1966, I think it would be funnier and more appropriate.
                              Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                              ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
                                I just wanted to pop in and say that I understand how people could get offended in the joke; it certainly does (at the very least) bound a fine line. Although I disagree with some of the arguments (that it's a chant against a religion, mostly. In my view it's a chant against people and their actions), I can see that it's a very, very sensitive subject. Perhaps it is time to retire that chant. I also want to apologize if anyone was offended by this discussion, for which I am very much responsible. It's not exactly a good topic for the hockey thread.

If you'll allow me to touch on one other point, re: Holocaust (I'm Jewish). It's a false equivalency, AdamBC, because the Jews were the victims (I previously said that, as is, the object and subject of the chant in question can be confused), it wouldn't be kosher (no pun intended). However, if you were to joke about it to German people, as the Brits did circa 1966, I think it would be funnier and more appropriate.
                                Not that anyone would do it, but if BC (or any) fans did a chant chiding Jewish people about the Holocaust, you'd be offended, trust me. Fortunately, there is no one that disgusting and vile to do such a thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X