Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 59th Annual Beanpot Tournament

Originally posted by DieHardDog View Post
    Just want to get a general consensus... the Chestnut Hill CC mascot is the piegon, correct?
    Yes, that is correct............and a piece of advice? don't look up

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
      Yes, that is correct............and a piece of advice? don't look up
      the one i think you are talking about is missing the "community" part.
      Celebrating 20 Years of TheDogHouse

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
        When I was in high school our fans would chant it at the school on the southern side of town because they were well-known to be academically inferior and go to what would be considered low-tier colleges. The chant would be aimed at where they were going in the future.

The chant works, it's not an issue of it making sense. It's just tiresome, cliche and not creative at all.

Especially at BC, why waste time with that when you can knock BU for owning them all season.
        That is terrible logic.
        BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
        National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
        Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954

Bentley Falcons Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglefan06 View Post
          That is terrible logic.
          I know it is believe me. I didn't partake in it. I don't think it's a clever enough chant at any level, especially when the team you're up against is pounding you (the case for our high school team).

I'd just look over and be like "you guys are dumb."
          Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
          Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

I know it is believe me. I didn't partake in it. I don't think it's a clever enough chant at any level, especially when the team you're up against is pounding you (the case for our high school team).

I'd just look over and be like "you guys are dumb."
            NU's "Facebook sucks" chant the other night was tremendous.
            Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

i have to say i've been thoroughly unimpressed with BC's chants this year. Both at Conte and the Beanpot, almost every single chant was "Sucks to BU" or "Safety School" or something of the like. For a school that likes to flaunt how academically superior they are, you'd think they would come up with some more original/clever chants.

that being said, the "your priest touched you" chant is rather classless. my personal favorite towards BC is "They drink, they drive, they run away and hide"

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post
                You lost all credibility with this statement. Went out to South Bend, Indiana -it might be the most miserable place in America.
                Regardless of what you think of the quality (and I think there's more to like about the area than you might realize), the fact remains that South Bend, Mishawaka, unincorporated St Joseph County, and I think even Elkhart and Niles MI do make up a metropolitan area (not sure if the latter two are part of the same metro area as SB/Mishawaka). Nobody should confuse "metropolitan" for "cosmopolitan", particularly compared to a major metropolitan area like Boston, NYC, or Chicago.
                Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by AdamBC View Post
                  While we're mocking chants, two BU cheers this year have struck me as terribly dumb: 'Sunday school' and 'not from Boston' (in response to BC's band playing 'Shipping up to Boston').

With regards to 'Sunday school' I'd like to point out that as BU is claiming 1839 as it's founding date (on it's seal and the big granite welcome sign on Comm Ave) and not 1869 (when it was chartered as BU). Sadly in 1839 it was founded as "The Newbury Biblical Institute", in Newbury, VT. In 1847 it was renamed "Methodist General Biblical Institute" and then later moved to Boston in 1867 and renamed itself (again!) as "Boston Theological Institute" - finally in 1869 it was given a state charter as "Boston University." I may not know much about religion, but with names involving such words as "Biblical"/"Theological"/"Methodist" it sounds like BU was more of a 'Sunday school' than BC ever was.
                  RE: Sunday School, BC still requires students to take two semesters of religion right? And when I was browsing though my US News and World Report College Guide while applying to colleges under factors BC takes into account religion was listed as "considered", that was a few years ago at this point though so maybe that changed? If either of those two factors remain intact I consider the chant applicable.

Now I would dissect and over-analyze how two of BC's chants are not in harmony with their history from about a hundred years before current students' parents were born, but they need to chant more than "What's the matter with BU" for that to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                    NU's "Facebook sucks" chant the other night was tremendous.

along with the sign to go with it.
                    Last edited by DieHardDog; 02-09-2011, 05:01 PM.
                    Celebrating 20 Years of TheDogHouse

Comment

While we're mocking chants, two BU cheers this year have struck me as terribly dumb: 'Sunday school' and 'not from Boston' (in response to BC's band playing 'Shipping up to Boston').

With regards to 'Sunday school' I'd like to point out that as BU is claiming 1839 as it's founding date (on it's seal and the big granite welcome sign on Comm Ave) and not 1869 (when it was chartered as BU). Sadly in 1839 it was founded as "The Newbury Biblical Institute", in Newbury, VT. In 1847 it was renamed "Methodist General Biblical Institute" and then later moved to Boston in 1867 and renamed itself (again!) as "Boston Theological Institute" - finally in 1869 it was given a state charter as "Boston University." I may not know much about religion, but with names involving such words as "Biblical"/"Theological"/"Methodist" it sounds like BU was more of a 'Sunday school' than BC ever was.

Once the history of BU is spelled out their "not from Boston" cheer becomes a joke in itself. BC was founded in South Boston, and while the current academic quad is located in Newton, all athletic buildings and a significant number of dorms are located in Brighton. So when BU fans are sitting in Conte (which is located 20 feet inside the Boston city line) and cheering that we're not 'from Boston', they only make themselves look foolish and unaware of their own school's history.
                      Thanks professor, but it's 2011. Do some more research and let me know if those pesky BU fans were chanting that in the late 19th century, and I'll be sure to sympathize with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
                        Wait for it...

NOW we have a Beanpot thread.
                        Glad I could do my part! Sorry it took me so long to check in.

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                        RE: Sunday School, BC still requires students to take two semesters of religion right? If either of those two factors remain intact I consider the chant applicable.
                        Fair point. A religion class is required (but there are Judaism and Hinduism options among others).

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                        Now I would dissect and over-analyze how two of BC's chants are not in harmony with their history from about a hundred years before current students' parents were born, but they need to chant more than "What's the matter with BU" for that to happen.
                        Indeed, BC's go-to cheer this year has been a disappointment, and I called the Superfans out in this thread too. I'm an equal opportunity complainer.

Originally posted by IcyDan View Post
                        Thanks professor, but it's 2011. Do some more research and let me know if those pesky BU fans were chanting that in the late 19th century, and I'll be sure to sympathize with you.
                        Hugs and kisses.

Comment

Indeed, BC's go-to cheer this year has been a disappointment, and I called the Superfans out in this thread too. I'm an equal opportunity complainer.
                          Do you have an explanation for why this is, preferably one that involves a convoluted tale of college life in the 1800s?

Comment

anyone notice how many newbies we have on these threads lately? i think it's great............USCHO Fan Forum members, growing the sport. seriously, there's been a ton of you guys all of a sudden. was there a backlog of applications that the mods finally approved? what ever the reason, makes for a better forum............i think

Comment

Originally posted by Redd10 View Post

that being said, the "your priest touched you" chant is rather classless.
                              I think that it is a rather clever chant. Plus its been long enough so we should be able to joke about it.

Comment

Well they wouldn't have to if BC would stick to the game that's being played and not some U.S. News and Forbes rankings that they think will get them Harvard and Columbia-like advantages.

"Safety school" is a chant for high school basketball games.

I loved sitting as a neutral observer and just listening to the chants BU and BC came up with.
                                Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
                                How is that a chant for high school? Most kids don't get to choose where they go to high school. They choose where they go to college. Hence the "Safety" school. I've never heard that chanted at a HS basketball game.
                                This made me laugh.

Originally posted by Craig P. View Post
                                I think we called him the chicken back in the day. Looks more like a chicken than a pigeon, at any rate.
                                The in-person mascot is pretty Eagle-like these days. Much better than the old paper mache one from the early 90s or the Angry Chicken logo (not sure if that one's still in existence).

i have to say i've been thoroughly unimpressed with BC's chants this year. Both at Conte and the Beanpot, almost every single chant was "Sucks to BU"
                                Come on, that's no different than the "BC Sucks" stuff (and every time BU gets a PP)

my personal favorite towards BC is "They drink, they drive, they run away and hide"
                                Ya, we wouldn't want facts from that T incident to get in the now would we???

Comment

Working...
                                X