Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 59th Annual Beanpot Tournament

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Well ya, I don't think anyone expects BC football to compete for a national title. But, at the same time, they can compete for the ACC title on a consistent basis. What I mean by that is they've done a good job of being in the mix almost every year for a shot at reaching the ACC title game.
    To expound, I think most BC fans' expectations are to make the ACC Championship a few times a decade and win it once or (in a good decade) twice every ten years. I don't think that's unreasonable expectation given the relative success of the program since the early 90s. In the six years BC has played in the ACC, they've made the championship game twice, but have obviously failed to win it. Being one of the better teams in a power conference with the occasional legitimate shot to win the conference championship and play in the Orange Bowl, doesn't really qualify as "irrelevant" in my book even if they aren't at the level of Florida, Alabama, USC, etc.

Comment

Agree to disagree. I think an inappropriate chant involving priests/kids is far worse than any generic "this school sucks" chant.
      I would agree... if there were never any cases of that happening, or it being covered up, or any sort of scandal over the incident. But the archdioses isn't a flawless organization (its flaws in that department are well-documented), and I'd venture to say that its true problem isn't that someone can say it happened, it's that the Catholic Church never really DID anything to rectify the situation (moving the accused to a different parish hasn't exactly worked wonders).
      Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
      ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
        I would agree... if there were never any cases of that happening, or it being covered up, or any sort of scandal over the incident. But the archdioses isn't a flawless organization (its flaws in that department are well-documented), and I'd venture to say that its true problem isn't that someone can say it happened, it's that the Catholic Church never really DID anything to rectify the situation (moving the accused to a different parish hasn't exactly worked wonders).
        OK, I really have no desire to bring this topic up, so I'm going to avoid it at all costs. I can't argue with anything you've said...I just don't think that alone then makes it an appropriate chant.

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
          and BC basketball is a very good program
          What are you smoking? BC football is far more relevant than BC basketball. Minus a few good teams from the 2000-ish Troy Bell years through the '06 teams, the program has been largely NIT/NCAA bubble at best. They currently have a three year losing streak to Harvard, never won an ACC championship, havent been past the Sweet 16 in over 15 years, and only made it to the 16 once in that timeframe, and have put a couple of guys in the NBA here and there who became role players at best, but nothing consistently. BC basketball is by no means a "very good program", nor are they a very relevant program on the national scene. Not to mention, the most relevant program in New England, UConn, at one point had a 13 year winning streak against BC that lasted into the early 2000s.

While BC football has meddled in relative medicority for a while, that program has had FAR more success than the basketball team, having been to ACC championship games, made a few semi-relevant bowls, placed high profile players in the NFL, and so on. They're by no means a powerhouse program, and not really one of the "insider" schools that everyone always overrates preseason, but the program is respected throughout the college football world and among NFL scouts, namely for producing linemen.

Agree to disagree. I think an inappropriate chant involving priests/kids is far worse than any generic "this school sucks" chant.
          I think you somehow quoted me on that, but I never said that.
          Last edited by slurpees; 02-09-2011, 11:42 AM.
          time to write new history

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
            havent been past the Sweet 16 in over 25 years, and only made it to the 16 once in that timeframe
            While I don't necessarily disagree with your general premise, both of the above statements are false.

Comment

Originally posted by bignick33 View Post
              While I don't necessarily disagree with your general premise, both of the above statements are false.
              sorry, type-o, should've been 15 years. last elite eight was 1994, only 16 since then was '06.
              time to write new history

Comment

What are you smoking? BC football is far more relevant than BC basketball. Minus a few good teams from the 2000-ish Troy Bell years through the '06 teams, the program has been largely NIT/NCAA bubble at best. They currently have a three year losing streak to Harvard, never won an ACC championship, havent been past the Sweet 16 in over 15 years, and only made it to the 16 once in that timeframe, and have put a couple of guys in the NBA here and there who became role players at best, but nothing consistently. BC basketball is by no means a "very good program", nor are they a very relevant program on the national scene. Not to mention, the most relevant program in New England, UConn, at one point had a 13 year winning streak against BC that lasted into the early 2000s.
                How far are we gonna go back here? Right now, BC looks like an NCAA bubble team with a first year coach. That's encouraging. Skinner had a pretty good program at BC for a while with some really good teams. Only one Sweet 16 appearance and some disappointing early exits. The fact of the matter is, he consistently got BC into the NCAA tourney--more than a lot of programs can say. Losing three straight to Harvard sure doesn't look good, but at the same time they have some impressive wins this season as well. And they did at least make it to the ACC title game where they lost to Duke in North Carolina. Prior to that they won the Big East on at least one occasion. Right now, they're not that relevant...but they have been.

While BC football has meddled in relative medicority for a while, that program has had FAR more success than the basketball team, having been to ACC championship games, made a few semi-relevant bowls, placed high profile players in the NFL, and so on. They're by no means a powerhouse program, and not really one of the "insider" schools that everyone always overrates preseason, but the program is respected throughout the college football world and among NFL scouts, namely for producing linemen.
                Playing in two ACC title games doesn't equal relative mediocrity IMO. Not like it happened 10 years ago.

I think you somehow quoted me on that, but I never said that.
                Not sure how I did that, but my bad. It was Eric.

Comment

How far are we gonna go back here? Right now, BC looks like an NCAA bubble team with a first year coach. That's encouraging. Skinner had a pretty good program at BC for a while with some really good teams. Only one Sweet 16 appearance and some disappointing early exits. The fact of the matter is, he consistently got BC into the NCAA tourney--more than a lot of programs can say. Losing three straight to Harvard sure doesn't look good, but at the same time they have some impressive wins this season as well. And they did at least make it to the ACC title game where they lost to Duke in North Carolina. Prior to that they won the Big East on at least one occasion. Right now, they're not that relevant...but they have been.

Playing in two ACC title games doesn't equal relative mediocrity IMO. Not like it happened 10 years ago.

Not sure how I did that, but my bad. It was Eric.
                  It's the All Crap Conference. It's beagle foosball. No one cares. Let's talk hockey you dirty pigeon lovers.
                  Originally posted by Bakunin
                  Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
                    It's the All Crap Conference. It's beagle foosball. No one cares. Let's talk hockey you dirty pigeon lovers.
                    Yeah, let's not act like the ACC isn't a basketball conference. Anyway, back to hockey.
                    Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                    Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

It's been talked about...quite the scheduling oddity coming up. BC and NU will play three straight games against each other. Could lead to some hostility...

Comment

Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                        Just depends on one's definition of relevant. Given the college football landscape, they are "relevant." In terms of being a consistent national power that will challenge yearly for a conference title and national title they are not.

I would consider BC basketball very relevant. And yes, considering NCAA football is the most corrupt sport in America, they do well.
                        Pretty sure BC has contended for the ACC title just about every year since they joined the conference. BC will never be Alabama or Auburn, but that's fine with me. Win 9 games a year, go to a Bowl, make an occasional top 10 run and I'm cool with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                          Pretty sure BC has contended for the ACC title just about every year since they joined the conference. BC will never be Alabama or Auburn, but that's fine with me. Win 9 games a year, go to a Bowl, make an occasional top 10 run and I'm cool with it.
                          S TFU! FOOSBALL SEASON IS OVER! Please for the love of all hockey, stop with the foosball talk!
                          Originally posted by Bakunin
                          Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

It's been talked about...quite the scheduling oddity coming up. BC and NU will play three straight games against each other. Could lead to some hostility...
                            yes, i mentioned it in the BC thread and and you were being a tad conservative with "could lead to some hostility"......

Comment

Originally posted by Chickens@NU View Post
                              S TFU! FOOSBALL SEASON IS OVER! Please for the love of all hockey, stop with the foosball talk!
                              Well, I gotta feelin' you won't want to be talking about BC hockey on Tuesday morning...

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                                yes, i mentioned it in the BC thread and and you were being a tad conservative with "could lead to some hostility"......
                                Jussst a bit. I'm excited frankly.
                                Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                                Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Working...
                                X