Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 59th Annual Beanpot Tournament

Originally posted by Federal League View Post
    This. I also think Escobedo's momentum was actually carrying him more toward the post than Muse. Looked like at worst, he would've collided into Muse's right leg, not his chest or head.
    For a guy coming off of hip surgery I don't think he wants guys colliding with his leg pads either.

It's one of those things you live with. You want to go to the front of the net and camp out be prepared to take a beating. If you want to charge hard at the goalie, you're going to get whacked. I'm fine with letting that go. Be happy you didn't get a penalty. A few years ago in the Piszpot, Gerbe came through WITH THE PUCK and the BU goalie (Bennett?) lunged at him and they called Gerbe for a penalty (naturally).
    Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 02-08-2011, 12:13 PM.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by NUMcNeely View Post
      Over/Under Time
      So far I've got:

-$200 dollars that jackie gives to hansen and the boys before the game to see things with a tinge of scarlet (gotta be at least 200 for a disallowed goal)
      -5 harvard fans (not including band) (saw at least 10 people cheering during one powerplay)
      -1 sucks to bu chant/per night There were four from the superfrauds last night... one within the first two minutes of play... so that over already!
      -.5 best band ever chants from the fanboys Does it have to be loud to count? if so still 0
      -2 sections filled by each school not named harvard Does NU's contingent count as over? It was maybe 2 and a quarter
      -1 kickout for one classy fan from each school No idea
      -5 overall safety school chants Think we were at four last night (three BC to BU, one NU to Harvard)
      -15 superfans who know the rules of hockey Benefit of the doubt
      -3 chants making fun of roxbury Zero... so far?
      Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
        So far I've got:
        -5 overall safety school chants Think we were at four last night (three BC to BU, one NU to Harvard)
        -3 chants making fun of roxbury Zero... so far?
        Awesome for the NU safety school chant at Harvard. Dissapointed that no bu students came early to start the Roxbury chants. And I don't see bc doing it either.
        Originally posted by Bakunin
        Learning the history and actually suffering through it are very different things. You simply can't appreciate a title as much if you don't suffer through a lot of failure beforehand. To put it another way, if MNS ever gets any, he'll appreciate the experience on a far deeper level than the rest of us did when it was our first time, simply because he's gone far longer and failed far more than we ever did.

Comment

It would help at least a bit if the refs had to offer an explanation to the crowd when they call a goal or no goal after a review... Many a time have I been baffled by calls at college games and it seems as if there would be a bit less confusion if the ref came out and reported on what they saw. Last night... did they really think the puck didn't go in the goal, or was there another reason it wasn't counted? (Haven't seen it so I really have no idea)
          The official explanation we got in the press box was that the replay was inconclusive. True, you couldn't definitively see white ice between the puck and the goal line, but common sense tells you it was over. I guess common sense doesn't qualify as conclusive evidence, though.

-1 kickout for one classy fan from each school No idea
          I didn't see any for Harvard or NU, but I'm pretty sure this was an over for the BU-BC game. Perhaps the funniest thing I saw last night (and if anyone was in or around the BC student section, they can probably add more): BU fan goes into BC section to start trouble, gets into a scuffle with BC fan, security takes away BU fan, BC fan celebrates and tries to pump up BC section, security comes back and gets him too. It was just hilarious because the BC fan clearly thought he was getting off scot-free. All I could think of was Lee Corso going "Not so fast, my friend!"

ETA: Also, some girl got kicked out (couldn't tell who she was a fan of) and the BC fans started chanting "She's not that drunk!"
          Last edited by Federal League; 02-08-2011, 12:25 PM.
          Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
            For a guy coming off of hip surgery I don't think he wants guys colliding with his leg pads either.

It's one of those things you live with. You want to go to the front of the net and camp out be prepared to take a beating. If you want to charge hard at the goalie, you're going to get whacked. I'm fine with letting that go. Be happy you didn't get a penalty. A few years ago in the Piszpot, Gerbe came through WITH THE PUCK and the BU goalie (Bennett?) lunged at him and they called Gerbe for a penalty (naturally).
            In the Beanpot, BC could find a way to get called for goalie interference when shooting on an empty net. Officiating in the Beanpot is like WWE

Comment

I didn't see any for Harvard or NU, but I'm pretty sure this was an over for the BU-BC game. Perhaps the funniest thing I saw last night (and if anyone was in or around the BC student section, they can probably add more): BU fan goes into BC section to start trouble, gets into a scuffle with BC fan, security takes away BU fan, BC fan celebrates and tries to pump up BC section, security comes back and gets him too. It was just hilarious because the BC fan clearly thought he was getting off scot-free. All I could think of was Lee Corso going "Not so fast, my friend!"

ETA: Also, some girl got kicked out (couldn't tell who she was a fan of) and the BC fans started chanting "She's not that drunk!"
              Thought BC kids couldn't drink?

Some troublemaking BC fans got kicked out for coming over to the BU section too (one day I'll understand this behavior.... maybe) but I wasn't sur we were counting that as a full kick out.
              Let's go Terriers!

It hasn't taken me long to realize, everybody here knows a lot more than me about college hockey...

1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009

Comment

• I loved the hit on Escobedo. plays with an edge. doesn't happen often enough with goalies

Comment

i know we already covered all of this, but escobedo definitely had his skates turned horizontally and was attempting to stop. it looked to me like a bc player was right on his back and perhaps pushed him towards muse, but i certainly don't blame muse for hitting escobedo. have to protect yourself

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                    Very possible. The Eagles will probably lose on a hattie by a former commit.

But I doubt it.
                    If that were the case, he'd be doubling his season output!
                    Originally posted by mookie1995
                    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

-2 sections filled by each school not named harvard Does NU's contingent count as over? It was maybe 2 and a quarter
                      That's being generous, the bottoms of the two sections they had full did not appear to be students, and they were sitting the whole game.

The official explanation we got in the press box was that the replay was inconclusive. True, you couldn't definitively see white ice between the puck and the goal line, but common sense tells you it was over. I guess common sense doesn't qualify as conclusive evidence, though.
                      If that's the case, you can't reverse a call based on "common sense". The only time I've ever seen a call reversed was the UVM-Air Force (BANNERZ!!) regional final game in '09 where you couldn't see the puck definitively go through the net, but you could see it go under the cross bar, and inside the post, so unless the puck defied the laws of physics, it went in the net. I still haven't seen a replay of it other than one full speed clip from the main camera in which you can't see anything, so my comments are based on having seen nothing useful. It appears that the puck went in from what people have said, but if we start reversing calls because "come on, it had to be in!", that's not good for the game.
                      time to write new history

Comment

I do not know what our students consider drunk but she was DRUNK! from what i could see it looked like they (security) put her in a wheelchair and rolled her on out. did anyone see that?
                        and, FL, yes, there were a few BU fan incursions one right directly behind me . there were 3-4 of them at least during the game..one was right after the goal that gave BU the 2-1 lead. i was thinking that was baaaad timimg...........or good depending on how you look at it
                        and quiddlet, i do not understand that behavior either..........btw, where's Mookie?
                        Last edited by sterlippo1; 02-08-2011, 12:57 PM.

Comment

It would help at least a bit if the refs had to offer an explanation to the crowd when they call a goal or no goal after a review... Many a time have I been baffled by calls at college games and it seems as if there would be a bit less confusion if the ref came out and reported on what they saw.
                          Agree. How hard is it to give a simple explanation? You know what, considering the incompetent baboons HE has in place, I take that back...

Comment

Originally posted by Moose98 View Post
                            I loved the hit on Escobedo. plays with an edge. doesn't happen often enough with goalies
                            My only problem was that Muse unnecessarily lunged up, went high on him with both hands, including his stick, and he was the one who initiated contact, all occurring after the whistle. If a skater does that to someone on the ice, that's very close to contact to the head or hitting after the whistle. Again, not a very relevant play in the grand scheme of the game, the far more relevant play was Muse stopping what would've been a two goal BU lead late in the second.

Some troublemaking BC fans got kicked out for coming over to the BU section too (one day I'll understand this behavior.... maybe) but I wasn't sur we were counting that as a full kick out.
                            This really confused me. How dumb and insecure do you have to be to walk over to the other side of the arena to come out of the tunnel just to jump up and down and pump your chest (when your team is currently losing) in front of a thousand people who hate you? Though two of the clowns who did come over, and were not visiting friends or anything, were met at the end of the tunnel by a (I assume) BU ROTC member in full uniform who promptly shoved them both back down the tunnel, to loud cheers of USA! Still, I've never seen douchnozzles take the time to walk to the other side of the arena just to jump up and down like morons for 10 seconds.

Comment

btw, where's Mookie?
                              Still at The Dugout.

Comment

Originally posted by slurpees View Post
                                BU ROTC member in full uniform who promptly shoved them both back down the tunnel, to loud cheers of USA!
                                Why would they chant USA!?? I assumed BU ROTC belonged to the Republican Guard...

Comment

Working...
                                X