Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Hampshire vs. Maine: Feb 4/5

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
    I've been to NH plenty of times. Have you ever been north of Concord (over half of the state)? Rural NH is not much different from rural Maine. Ever been to the north country? Sure is a cultural meca! Good hiking in the White Mountains though, I'm sure I'll spend some time in the whites this summer after I get bored going to MDI every day.
    First visit to MDI last fall, hoping to get up there a few times this year. Good stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by True Blue Fan View Post
      Wow this is quite the 5th grade discussion going on here. Pretty intelligent stuff.

Maine needs a big weekend to have any remote hope for this season. UNH is always tough at home and the crowd will no doubt be fired up for this weekend. I for one hope to see two good, exciting hockey games.
      Good points and provides lead in to hockey-related questions:

• On Dec 10 two goals by a UNH freshman were the difference. How do these teams match up?
      • Maine needed more than a point last weekend at home, so desperate now (PWR=20t). Does recent performance give reasons to believe desperation will cause UMaine to play super? (e.g., did Maine deserve more but BU’s Millan was immense?)
      • Some credited Sirman with win over BC, but loss to BU. Who’s in goal and what can we expect?
      • Will Borisinok play and does it make a difference?
      • Given this rivalry and students in huge numbers, any danger that UNH would look ahead to Merrimack?

Comment

Originally posted by 5IslandsWildcat View Post
        Good points and provides lead in to hockey-related questions:

• On Dec 10 two goals by a UNH freshman were the difference. How do these teams match up?
        • Maine needed more than a point last weekend at home, so desperate now (PWR=20t). Does recent performance give reasons to believe desperation will cause UMaine to play super? (e.g., did Maine deserve more but BU’s Millan was immense?)
        • Some credited Sirman with win over BC, but loss to BU. Who’s in goal and what can we expect?
        • Will Borisinok play and does it make a difference?
        • Given this rivalry and students in huge numbers, any danger that UNH would look ahead to Merrimack?
        * UNH probably is the better overall skating team with more depth. I cannot remember exactly but I believe O'Neil was out for Maine in the last game and he is probably Maine's best Dman and plays the point on the power play, having him in the line up will certainly help this series.
        *Maine has been inconsistent all year and there is no reason to expect that to change this weekend. *There were two very soft goals let in by Sirman last Friday, the first one he was screened on and probably did not see. I will fault the Maine player who simply stood there and did not clean out the front of the net on that one. I would expect you will see Sirman and Ouellette this weekend, not sure what night for either.
        *I don't believe UNH will look ahead to Merrimack, they are aware they were outplayed for the majority of the first game and will come out ready to play.

Comment

* UNH probably is the better overall skating team with more depth. I cannot remember exactly but I believe O'Neil was out for Maine in the last game and he is probably Maine's best Dman and plays the point on the power play, having him in the line up will certainly help this series.
          Wasn't Maine without 2 of their regular D-men?

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
            Wasn't Maine without 2 of their regular D-men?
            They may have been without Dimmen for that game as well, not 100% sure.

Comment

I believe O'Neil was out for Maine in the last game and he is probably Maine's best Dman .
              No wonder Maine isn't as good as we think. Wil is a good offensive D man but if he's the best we got then I shouldn't complain about the teams record. Dimmen is obviously still hurt but he is Maine best Dman, Van Dyk is having his best year, Cornell gets moved around on a whim so who knows.

neither Dimmen or O'Neill played against UNH
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                No wonder Maine isn't as good as we think. Wil is a good offensive D man but if he's the best we got then I shouldn't complain about the teams record. Dimmen is obviously still hurt but he is Maine best Dman, Van Dyk is having his best year, Cornell gets moved around on a whim so who knows.

neither Dimmen or O'Neill played against UNH
                Thanks for the update, with my work load and the boys schedule, I have not had a chance to see many games in the last few years, listen to all of them though but it is hard to form a good opinion on a player without watching them over the course of a number of games.

Comment

Thanks for the update, with my work load and the boys schedule, I have not had a chance to see many games in the last few years, listen to all of them though but it is hard to form a good opinion on a player without watching them over the course of a number of games.
                  Wil is hurt also but he has never skated well and gets beat on a regular basis. Might not be the case if the D could actually take the body in Tims "systems"

Comment

Wow this is quite the 5th grade discussion going on here. Pretty intelligent stuff.
                    So be it. I'll have an intelligent discussion on why the past really doesn't matter.

There are many fans on this board who feel it necessary to point out a major flaw in UNH's men's hockey program; namely, the lack of a national championship. Perhaps it is more glaring that our best chance at winning one was thwarted by our rivals to the north, UMaine. Fans of that program have taken a particular delight in reveling over that particular game, along with many other of our post-season shortcomings. Due to the fact that past events cannot be changed, nor do they have a direct outcome on the upcoming game, it is irrelevant to use historical results as an argumentative crutch.

That isn't to say that there is no impact on the teams whatsoever. To the contrary, the fallout of that game, along with many other past match-ups, has created an atmosphere of a rivalry between the 2 schools where this game has additional meaning attached to it. Were it not for the 1999 game, along with many others along the way, UNH would not have continued the drive towards earning a national title. Though it may act as an impetus for UNH to strive for the national title, our past failures aren't a part of this weekend's series.

In honesty, even last weekend's triumphs won't be in this weekend's series. The fluidity of time forces a team to constantly keep improving itself in order for it to be considered "The Best That There Is." Time is constantly in motion, and therefore, the past is in a constant rate of growth. The future, to our minds, is infinite; we don't know when it ends (some even believe that there will be no end of time, it will simply start over again). All that truly matters is who the best team is at this given moment. Even the last game played between these two teams is irrelevant because circumstances have changed at least three times over. Lines have shuffled. Players who were injured then are healthy now, and vice versa. Like time, the teams are in a constant state of flux.

Since December, these teams have changed superficially; since 1999 these programs have changed immensely. The change at UMaine is obvious: your coach tragically passed away in 2001 and created an upheaval of seismic proportions. UNH lost a great assistant coach, Brian McCloskey, to the women's hockey program where he has had relatively successful seasons. Furthermore, the hockey teams themselves have graduated 2 full classes of players since then. Most players on the teams now were in elementary school in 1999. Their connections to that game are minimal, if any.

To sum, it is heinous to use our past, which could be likened to Shakespearean tragedy, in order to prop up your insults against our program. The kids playing this year were 5th graders themselves during the Incident in Anaheim. Furthermore, due to the transient nature of time, even Friday night's game will be made irrelevant by the time the puck drops on Saturday night. Though some of the emotions may carry over, the direct impact ANY of our past failures have on our program are, in fact, uncorrelated to the play of our student-athletes.
                    Last edited by IrishWildcat; 02-02-2011, 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar check failed me...i did it MYSELF
                    A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                      I've been to NH plenty of times. Have you ever been north of Concord (over half of the state)? Rural NH is not much different from rural Maine. Ever been to the north country? Sure is a cultural meca! Good hiking in the White Mountains though, I'm sure I'll spend some time in the whites this summer after I get bored going to MDI every day.
                      Hey!! Now you're going too far.

This is NH. Concord and below is just northern Massachusetts.
                      Last edited by rufus; 02-02-2011, 11:34 AM.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
                        So be it. I'll have an intelligent discussion on why the past really doesn't matter.

There are many fans on this board who feel it necessary to point out a major flaw in UNH's men's hockey program; namely, the lack of a national championship. Perhaps it is more glaring that our best chance at winning one was thwarted by our rivals to the north, UMaine. Fans of that program have taken a particular delight in reveling over that particular game, along with many other of our post-season shortcomings. Due to the fact that past events cannot be changed, nor do they have a direct outcome on the upcoming game, it is irrelevant to use historical results as an argumentative crutch.

That isn't to say that there is no impact on the teams whatsoever. To the contrary, the fallout of that game, along with many other past match-ups, has created an atmosphere of a rivalry between the 2 schools where this game has additional meaning attached to it. Were it not for the 1999 game, along with many others along the way, UNH would not have continued the drive towards earning a national title. Though it may act as an impetus for UNH to strive for the national title, our past failures aren't a part of this weekend's series.

In honesty, even last weekend's triumphs won't be in this weekend's series. The fluidity of time forces a team to constantly keep improving itself in order for it to be considered "The Best That There Is." Time is constantly in motion, and therefore, the past is in a constant rate of growth. The future, to our minds, is infinite; we don't know when it ends (some even believe that there will be no end of time, it will simply start over again). All that truly matters is who the best team is at this given moment. Even the last game played between these two teams is irrelevant because circumstances have changed at least three times over. Lines have shuffled. Players who were injured then are healthy now, and vice versa. Like time, the teams are in a constant state of flux.

Since December, these teams have changed superficially; since 1999 these programs have changed immensely. The change at UMaine is obvious: your coach tragically passed away in 2001 and created an upheaval of seismic proportions. UNH lost a great assistant coach, Brian McCloskey, to the women's hockey program where he has had relatively successful seasons. Furthermore, the hockey teams themselves have graduated 2 full classes of players since then. Most players on the teams now were in elementary school in 1999. Their connections to that game are minimal, if any.

To sum, it is heinous to use our past, which could be likened to Shakespearean tragedy, in order to prop up your insults against our program. The kids playing this year were 5th graders themselves during the Incident in Anaheim. Furthermore, due to the transient nature of time, even Friday night's game will be made irrelevant by the time the puck drops on Saturday night. Though some of the emotions may carry over, the direct impact ANY of our past failures have on our program are, in fact, uncorrelated to the play of our student-athletes.
                        That was beautiful. Thank you IWC.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
                          the fallout of that game, along with many other past match-ups, has created an atmosphere of a rivalry between the 2 schools where this game has additional meaning attached to it.
                          No, we're over you. You still seem obsessed with us. In case you missed it, the Big Weekend was this last one and we blew it. Can't you go be rivals with your hillbilly bretheren in VT and leave us alone?
                          Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

Originally posted by lkenney View Post
                            Yeah, Saturday is the issue.
                            Yeah we'll go ahead and keep explaining that to them.. Eventually they will catch on after they get over their running joke about Edge. Let me try this again to the UNH fans may understand.

I AM FROM MAINE

I ALREADY HAVE TICKETS FOR FRIDAY NIGHT

I UNDERSTAND THAT THERE ARE TICKETS STILL AVAILABLE FOR FRIDAY NIGHT

I NEED 5 TICKETS FOR SATURDAY NIGHT

I UNDERSTAND THAT UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES THEY MAY BE PURCHASED VIA TICKETMASTER WHEN AVAILABLE

RIGHT NOW SATURDAY NIGHT IS SOLD OUT

I DON'T NEED TICKETS FOR FRIDAY NIGHT

I NEED TICKETS FOR SATURDAY NIGHT

5 OF THEM

There maybe that will do it. I know my chances of snagging 5 are prob slim/none

Comment

Haha,the past is all we got to go on right now right? If the roles were reversed I find it hard to believe UNH fans wouldn't be doing the exact same. Its like Yankees fans, the Sox have got the better of them the past decade and all they do is talk about all their championships in the past. So I hear you, we all just want to remember the good times and lash out about things that don't matter today. Guess it just depends on what side your on to choose your path of smack talk. That is the great thing about sports and rivalries....take any shots u got, especially when your team is the underdog. No body is arguing UNH is better the past 4 years tho. When you stink, you need to go back to the times that made you all warm and fuzzy.

Comment

So be it. I'll have an intelligent discussion on why the past really doesn't matter..
                                What a pantload

This is all that matters

******* style="height: 390px; width: 640px">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/11BhSoI3PCc?version=3">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowScriptAccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/11BhSoI3PCc?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390">

Comment

Working...
                                X