New Hampshire vs. Maine: Feb 4/5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
    I've had food thrown at me and told to go home at the Al, but I never felt physically threatened. All in all its a good time, and I really enjoy the rivalry. Maine has some of the best folks in the world. My family has a camp on Sebec Lake which is not too far from Orono and we have made lifelong friendships with our neighbors. They are fine people who would give you the shirt off their backs to help out.. the moment I leave Sebec I am looking forward to the next trip..
    I'm on a lake very close to sebec
    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

• Re: New Hampshire vs. Maine: Feb 4/5

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      I've walked around Alfond, no way UNH were abused the way Maine fans are abused at the WHitt. This means as much as what you say, which is nothing
      What makes his post more believable is the fact that he willingly admits "you can't paint all Maine fans with this broad brush. . ." he's certainly not saying that ALL Maine fans act this way, or that NO New Hampshire fans act this way . . . but for Maine fans to climb up on their soapbox and say that the cheers at the Whit upset them, offended them, whatever . . . UNH fans that travel, and have experienced the atmostphere at Maine, just can't swallow that pill. Sure, there are asses at UNH, but I've been to every barn in Hockey East. There are more jerks at UMass or UVM, but the few jerks at Maine just standout more because their actions were so egregious.

Seriously, Maine fans . . . you need to stop *****ing about cheers, and start *****ing about Timmay's lack of ability to recruit a D-I goalie. That ought to keep you busy until the off season.
      I haven't been on here in a year...
      Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Well, the Wall Street Journal seems to think the Alfond has the best atmosphere. UNH has nice ice. Because that's exciting.
        BEST ATMOSPHERE: Maine
        Games at Maine's Alfond Arena feel like the hockey version of Friday Night Lights. The crowd is a mix of diehard locals and feverish students (one of whom hangs a referee doll in effigy when the officials skate onto the ice. At one end of the 5,445-seat arena, a section of fans sits in an ear-splitting site directly below the band. "There's nothing like Maine hockey," said Melissa Cross, who's been attending games since she was 8. "What else are you going to do when it's 20 below?"
        BEST ICE: New Hampshire
        A major difference between college and NHL arenas is that the ice-surface dimensions of college rinks can vary. NHL rules specify that rinks must measure 200 feet by 85 feet wide.
        The bigger the surface, the more wide-open the game. New Hampshire's Whittemore Center uses the dimensions for international play (200-by-100). One further distinction about the Whittemore ice: Students toss a dead fish onto it after UNH's first goal. "Because the goalie has to fish the puck out of the net," explains a spokesman.
        Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
          . . but for Maine fans to climb up on their soapbox and say that the cheers at the Whit upset them, offended them, whatever . . . .
          I doubt anyone was offended by the sucks cheers it was an observation. If they were offended TF F
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Seriously, Maine fans . . . you need to stop *****ing about cheers, and start *****ing about Timmay's lack of ability to recruit a D-I goalie. That ought to keep you busy until the off season.
            Friday was the first time I'd seen Martin Ouellette play. I was impressed with his size and style. He's just a kid fresh out of prep school and seems to have a lot of potential.
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

There are more jerks at UMass.
              I've said it before, but this point needs reiteration. UMass has the worst, most obnoxious, rude, uncreative fans I've ever witnessed.
              Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Comment

• My question, why is this thread still running...let it die
                I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
                  I've said it before, but this point needs reiteration. UMass has the worst, most obnoxious, rude, uncreative fans I've ever witnessed.
                  Truth

Comment

• Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                    The last time I went to Alfond, the Maine fans were quite cordial right up to when Maine won the game in OT. As soon as they won, the Maine fans got vicious, throwing food, swearing, etc. The high point was a guy with no front teeth telling us to F off. Good times.
                    Same thing happened to me in game 3 of the playoffs last year. They didn't say anything the whole game. When they won they became wild animals.

Comment

Well, the Wall Street Journal seems to think the Alfond has the best atmosphere. UNH has nice ice. Because that's exciting.
                      The description is priceless:

Besides a larger, Olympic-size ice surface, New Hampshire's rink has an expansive memorabilia display, including a gallery of every UNH team since the 1920s and a display case of the Wildcats' championship trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post

Besides a larger, Olympic-size ice surface, New Hampshire's rink has an expansive memorabilia display, including a gallery of every UNH team since the 1920s and a display case of the Wildcats' championship trophies.
                        Oh man. I didn't even see the slideshow. That is funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                          Friday was the first time I'd seen Martin Ouellette play. I was impressed with his size and style. He's just a kid fresh out of prep school and seems to have a lot of potential.
                          who knows if he'll stick around. It won't be the first time a goalie has gotten ****ed of at Timmay and left.

Comment

Oh man. I didn't even see the slideshow. That is funny.
                            Come on! The last time I was there I noticed a line 200 deep of fans waiting to get their picture taken with the 2001 "Festival of Lights" Holiday championship tournament trophy. Give them a break.

Comment

Originally posted by claver2010 View Post

*****http://www.advantagefixtures.com/jpgs/productline/trophycases/wallcasesdtr70.jpg******

Originally posted by Malts18 View Post
                              Still pathetic here.... WHERE IS THE TALK ABOUT THE GAMES THIS PAST WEEKEND???? The talk of "sucks" just is a smokescreen to deflect away from what is going on with the rivalry. UNH is 10-3-0 in the last 13 and 14-5-0 in the last 19 vs Maine.
                              Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                              quality post. As you continue your downward spiral towards LSSU and then Michigan Tech status, we'll continue to compete and hopefully some day win a title, but we already know the most competitive days of this rivalry are in our rear view mirror.
                              And when I was at Maine we were 22-2-1 against UHN in the last 25 games. The Wildcats weren't even a rival in those days, just six easy points in Hockey East. Congrats on finally winning a few games.

That said, these games were a week ago. Time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                                And when I was at Maine we were 22-2-1 against UHN in the last 25 games. The Wildcats weren't even a rival in those days, just six easy points in Hockey East. Congrats on finally winning a few games.
                                The times they are a changin.
                                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Working...
                                X