New Hampshire vs. Maine: Feb 4/5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by greg ambrose View Post
    here, here! Good post. I have to laugh when i hear maine fans complaining, including references of how they are treated at the whit. First, let's compare the amenities at the whittemore center vs. Those at alfond. How about sight lines, how about ability to hear the pa system. I have been to every maine game at the whit since the place opened in 1995. Up until this year i sold 50/50 tickets, so i got around the arena quite a bit. Although i don't doubt that maine fans are occasionally mistreated at the whit, there is no way that it reaches the level found at alfond.

A few years ago we witnessed a production at alfond that included an unfurled banner reading "university of no hardware" that was skated out onto the ice. Something like that, that is brought out onto the ice during a game has to be sanctioned by the university. A good friend of mine was so incensed, he wrote the ad (forget his name) demanding an apology and, you know what, he got it. But the fact that this happened at all speaks volumes about what maine is all about.

I can't tell you how many times i have been harassed up there and have observed maine fans verbally, and sometimes physically, assault unh fans. And i have heard the same thing from bu and bc fans as well. I won't paint all maine fans with this broad brush, because i have met plenty of nice people up there, but there is definitely an undercurrent

.. Of hostility among a certain subset up in orono, a subset that i believe is tolerated by authorities.
    ditto, great piece

Comment

• Re: New Hampshire vs. Maine: Feb 4/5

Originally posted by TripleE View Post
      *Short of the occasional, harmlessly misinformed undergrad* - do you suppose any of those bitter, classless schmucks barking a big bark while they're safe in Alfond Arena are actually the ones passionately traveling to see the team drop two games at the Whit, but still giving their boys a clap at the end of the game? My guess is no. Every team has rink rats, bleacher creatures, whatever you want to call them. Ignore them.

I made my first trip to the Whit Saturday night (long overdue) and I had a great time! I have only been to Agganis and Whit now -- any suggestions for next years conference venture?
      Have you been to Matthews Arena since the renovation? Last yr we went there and loved it... pretty cool old barn, they still have the dog pound, and the renovations really made it nicer without ruining the look. Also, NU's fans are pretty good, too. Just a thought.
      Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
      ECAC Tourney Champs 79
      Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
      Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
      Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
      NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
        it. Although I don't doubt that Maine fans are occasionally mistreated at the Whit, there is no way that it reaches the level found at Alfond.
        I've walked around Alfond, no way UNH were abused the way Maine fans are abused at the WHitt. This means as much as what you say, which is nothing
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
          I've walked around Alfond, no way UNH were abused the way Maine fans are abused at the WHitt. This means as much as what you say, which is nothing
          Fail.

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
            Fail.
            Coming from you, that also means nothing

Comment

Originally posted by Malts18 View Post
              Have you been to Matthews Arena since the renovation? Last yr we went there and loved it... pretty cool old barn, they still have the dog pound, and the renovations really made it nicer without ruining the look. Also, NU's fans are pretty good, too. Just a thought.
              And you can still see the whole ice from 15% of the seats!!!

Cool old barn, and, if the place is near capacity, great atmosphere (including a good student section), but overrated for the actual game watching experience unless you're in the first row of the balcony, which IS awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                Walrus, you've never walked around Alfond in a UNH jersey, and none of us have ever walked around the Whitt in a Maine jersey. All of these incidents are isolated to one or two people being jerks to fans of other teams, I have never seen a UNH fan say anything to a visiting fan, but I don't doubt it happens....

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                  Walrus, you've never walked around Alfond in a UNH jersey, and none of us have ever walked around the Whitt in a Maine jersey. All of these incidents are isolated to one or two people being jerks to fans of other teams, I have never seen a UNH fan say anything to a visiting fan, but I don't doubt it happens....
                  No doubt, my point was as absurd as Gregs, gee, I walked around, never saw a thing so it didn't happened and therefore the other arena is way worse. Might be one of the most useless things ever posted on here. And thats saying something.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    No doubt, my point was as absurd as Gregs, gee, I walked around, never saw a thing so it didn't happened and therefore the other arena is way worse. Might be one of the most useless things ever posted on here. And thats saying something.
                    We all know Gregg's justa Maine hater. He's consumed by it...sad, really.
                    I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                      I can't tell you how many times I have been harassed up there and have observed Maine fans verbally, and sometimes physically, assault UNH fans. And I have heard the same thing from BU and BC fans as well. I won't paint all Maine fans with this broad brush, because I have met plenty of nice people up there, but there is definitely an undercurrent of hostility among a certain subset up in Orono, a subset that I believe is tolerated by authorities.
                      All very cute stories, Greg. But I think now would be a good time to point out the terrible behavior of UNH fans over by the visiting section at the Whitt. I've only been numerous times and several of us have been assaulted on trips to the Whitt. You folks even teach your kids to do it at a young age as I've seen kids well under the age of 10 swearing at BC fans and also pulling at BC fans' jerseys in a hissy fit rage. And who could forget the lovely Mrs. Preston Callendar (prior to their engagement and nuptials) and Mike Ayers' mom, two notorious dbags that enjoyed assaulting visiting fans? When you have GFs and moms of the players doing this stuff I start to wonder if it is a cultural thing for those sitting near the visiting sections up there.

Glass houses Greg.

Bad behavior like this is going to happen just about everywhere; some of it you see, a lot of what happens you don't see.

My suggestion to everyone is that if you see some bad behavior from one of your own fans, do your best to put a stop to it. From my personal experience these types of bullies usually stop and start to cry when confronted by one of their own fans telling them how embarrassing they are.

Note: In my 1 trip to Maine we ran into a bitter fan here or there but not once were we assaulted. Just thought I'd mention that.
                      Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                      The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
                        it was pretty disheartening to hear the Maine Sucks cheer loud and clear on NESN. Over and over and over again.
                        So? Water is also wet. Should they chant that, too? BU fans chant "your priest touched you" at BC games. Wanna trade?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                          All very cute stories, Greg. But I think now would be a good time to point out the terrible behavior of UNH fans over by the visiting section at the Whitt. I've only been numerous times and several of us have been assaulted on trips to the Whitt. You folks even teach your kids to do it at a young age as I've seen kids well under the age of 10 swearing at BC fans and also pulling at BC fans' jerseys in a hissy fit rage. And who could forget the lovely Mrs. Preston Callendar (prior to their engagement and nuptials) and Mike Ayers' mom, two notorious dbags that enjoyed assaulting visiting fans? When you have GFs and moms of the players doing this stuff I start to wonder if it is a cultural thing for those sitting near the visiting sections up there.

Glass houses Greg.

Bad behavior like this is going to happen just about everywhere; some of it you see, a lot of what happens you don't see.

My suggestion to everyone is that if you see some bad behavior from one of your own fans, do your best to put a stop to it. From my personal experience these types of bullies usually stop and start to cry when confronted by one of their own fans telling them how embarrassing they are.

Note: In my 1 trip to Maine we ran into a bitter fan here or there but not once were we assaulted. Just thought I'd mention that.
                          Im just soooooo proud of ya Nick...I may have to reasess my interpretation of ur wisdom.

Two things need to stop at rinks....taunting and reaction to it....otherwise college hawkey becomes a very ugly sport....quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                            So? Water is also wet. Should they chant that, too? BU fans chant "your priest touched you" at BC games. Wanna trade?
                            No

Comment

I've had food thrown at me and told to go home at the Al, but I never felt physically threatened. All in all its a good time, and I really enjoy the rivalry. Maine has some of the best folks in the world. My family has a camp on Sebec Lake which is not too far from Orono and we have made lifelong friendships with our neighbors. They are fine people who would give you the shirt off their backs to help out.. the moment I leave Sebec I am looking forward to the next trip..

Comment

The last time I went to Alfond, the Maine fans were quite cordial right up to when Maine won the game in OT. As soon as they won, the Maine fans got vicious, throwing food, swearing, etc. The high point was a guy with no front teeth telling us to F off. Good times.

Comment

Working...
                                X