Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Hampshire vs. Maine: Feb 4/5

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
    AND I had to laugh when I see the scoreboard encouraging fans to be loud! That is embarrassing!
    Did you know that Maine has the "noise meter" on their score board? Isn't that the same exact thing as our uber impressive amber board saying to make noise? I'm pretty sure every arena that has some sort of board does that.
    UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Whitt View Post
      Were there this many complaints after Maine played BU earlier this year ("the song" at the start of periods + PP's, "BC sucks" in their sieve chant, "sucks" during intros, "[goalie 3x] you suck!", etc.)? Cornell down in Florida (rock n' roll part II - "sieve! you suck!", "******* 'em up, ******* 'em up, go CU", "[school name] - sucks!", "hey [goalie], you're an embarrassment to [school] and [school] hockey sucks", etc)? Or can we expose this for the hollow charade that it is.

Maine hockey: we'll ignore complaints of trash being dumped from the balcony for years but if you shout "you suck" at an opposing rink we'll cry till the rafter rings.

The steins must be empty.
      They weren't on TV, so Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by KnowItAll View Post
        really?
        I was not aware that the retirement had been announced to the public....
        I surely hope that Borek is not taking the reins, I mean I know what he did to Lake State, and THEY WERE a tourney powerhouse

best of luck to whistling Dick, a nice man, for certain, happy retirement
        quality post. As you continue your downward spiral towards LSSU and then Michigan Tech status, we'll continue to compete and hopefully some day win a title, but we already know the most competitive days of this rivalry are in our rear view mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
          Yeah, if you wear a jacket that even resembles something with Maine colors, we'll just ask you what the score of the game was.
          Yeah, Dean! Heehee...
          Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
          ECAC Tourney Champs 79
          Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
          Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
          Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
          NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Originally posted by gounhwildcats View Post
            There's also the "Wheels on your house song", which I think is reserved for Maine, although I stand to be corrected. As well there's a couple different variations on the "If you can't get into ----, go to ----" song.

The best cheer of all isn't really a cheer and I've only heard it at UNH games. Just prior to the announcement that there's one minute left in the period, the student section calls out "Hey John, how much time is left?", to which he answer's "One minute, one minute left in the period". The student section then replies "Thank you!!". Normally that's the end of it, but on Friday after the "thank you" in the third period, the PA guy actually said "You're very welcome.". Truly hilarious
            You guys are also forgetting the "Go!!" "Fight!!" "Win!!" "Go, Fight, Win!!!" chant that starts each period and immediately after every UNH goal. Love that cheer the most!
            Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

UNH Wildcats
            ECAC Tourney Champs 79
            Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
            NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

A UNH chant that I like is ¨Drive home safely!¨directed at the other team´s fans in their rink near the games´s end when a UNH win is assured.

Comment

Still pathetic here.... WHERE IS THE TALK ABOUT THE GAMES THIS PAST WEEKEND???? The talk of "sucks" just is a smokescreen to deflect away from what is going on with the rivalry. UNH is 10-3-0 in the last 13 and 14-5-0 in the last 19 vs Maine. If the Maine people really want to be mad at something, be mad at THAT. Be mad that their team is a shell of what it once was. Be mad that Timmay is grinding it into the ground and can't get a drip of good going out of a team that has -- on paper -- good quality: Nyquist, Diamond, Abbott, Dimmen, Dee, O'Neill, et al. Where is the Maine anger at that? All the Maine fans are still railing on about the "sucks" cheers? Come on....

UNH Wildcats
                ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

To break up the chant discussion, something has been puzzling me. Maine's goalie Saturday night, Shawn Sirman refuses to look forward during the national anthem and stares directly at the student section. I believe this was his second start at UNH and he has done it both times. I ask the Maine fans does he do this every time, if so is it because he is Canadian?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    A UNH chant that I like is ¨Drive home safely!¨directed at the other team´s fans in their rink near the games´s end when a UNH win is assured.
                    I also like "THANKS FOR PRAC-TICE" CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP after a blow out

Comment

• Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                      I also like "THANKS FOR PRAC-TICE" CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP after a blow out
                      My absolute favorite is

Is that not the ice down there?
                      (Yes that is the ice down there)
                      Is that not the scoreboard there?
                      (Yes that is the scoreboard there)
                      Is that not a goalie down there?
                      (Yes that is a goalie down there)
                      Is that not a sieve right there?
                      (Yes that is a sieve right there)
                      Is that not the winning team?
                      (Yes that is the winning team)
                      Is that not the losing team?
                      (Yes that is the losing team)
                      Winning team! Losing team! Winning team! Losing team! Winning team! Losing team!
                      A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Malts18 View Post
                        Still pathetic here.... WHERE IS THE TALK ABOUT THE GAMES THIS PAST WEEKEND???? The talk of "sucks" just is a smokescreen to deflect away from what is going on with the rivalry. UNH is 10-3-0 in the last 13 and 14-5-0 in the last 19 vs Maine. If the Maine people really want to be mad at something, be mad at THAT. Be mad that their team is a shell of what it once was. Be mad that Timmay is grinding it into the ground and can't get a drip of good going out of a team that has -- on paper -- good quality: Nyquist, Diamond, Abbott, Dimmen, Dee, O'Neill, et al. Where is the Maine anger at that? All the Maine fans are still railing on about the "sucks" cheers? Come on....
                        Here, here! Good post. I have to laugh when I hear Maine fans complaining, including references of how they are treated at the Whit. First, let's compare the amenities at the Whittemore Center vs. those at Alfond. How about sight lines, how about ability to hear the pa system. I have been to every Maine game at the Whit since the place opened in 1995. Up until this year I sold 50/50 tickets, so I got around the arena quite a bit. Although I don't doubt that Maine fans are occasionally mistreated at the Whit, there is no way that it reaches the level found at Alfond.

A few years ago we witnessed a production at Alfond that included an unfurled banner reading "University of No Hardware" that was skated out onto the ice. Something like that, that is brought out onto the ice during a game has to be sanctioned by the University. A good friend of mine was so incensed, he wrote the AD (forget his name) demanding an apology and, you know what, he got it. But the fact that this happened at all speaks volumes about what Maine is all about.

I can't tell you how many times I have been harassed up there and have observed Maine fans verbally, and sometimes physically, assault UNH fans. And I have heard the same thing from BU and BC fans as well. I won't paint all Maine fans with this broad brush, because I have met plenty of nice people up there, but there is definitely an undercurrent of hostility among a certain subset up in Orono, a subset that I believe is tolerated by authorities.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                          so you're basing this on second hand oppinion? FYI, there are no group cheers at Maine that involve "suck(s)".
                          Originally posted by MagicCat View Post
                          To break up the chant discussion, something has been puzzling me. Maine's goalie Saturday night, Shawn Sirman refuses to look forward during the national anthem and stares directly at the student section. I believe this was his second start at UNH and he has done it both times. I ask the Maine fans does he do this every time, if so is it because he is Canadian?
                          I was wondering the same thing. It was a little creepy.
                          UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
                            My absolute favorite is

Winning team! Losing team! Winning team! Losing team! Winning team! Losing team!
                            An oldie but still the best, in my opinion. That one dates back to at least the 70's.
                            We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
                            ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
                            --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                              Here, here! Good post. I have to laugh when I hear Maine fans complaining, including references of how they are treated at the Whit.
                              *Short of the occasional, harmlessly misinformed undergrad* - do you suppose any of those bitter, classless schmucks barking a big bark while they're safe in Alfond Arena are actually the ones passionately traveling to see the team drop two games at the Whit, but still giving their boys a clap at the end of the game? My guess is no. Every team has rink rats, bleacher creatures, whatever you want to call them. Ignore them.

I made my first trip to the Whit Saturday night (long overdue) and I had a great time! I have only been to Agganis and Whit now -- any suggestions for next years conference venture?

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
                                My absolute favorite is

.by far the best cheer.

Comment

Working...
                                X