Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Hampshire vs. Maine: Feb 4/5

Originally posted by gdawg View Post
    For the record, these are the cheers used regularly that incorporate "Suck". They have been around for a long time.

1. When the opposing players are introduced, the fans give one clap and "You Suck" -- so that's five "sucks" -- the goalie gets Sieve, Sieve, Sieve...

2. During the song after a goal is scored, the fans point at the goalie and repeat "You Suck" at specific places in the song. Later the fans, hum the song on their own and punctuated with "You Suck" as well. So that could be 4-5 per rendition -- 8-10 "sucks" per goal. So credit the crowd with 60 "Sucks" Friday and 50 "Sucks" Saturday.

3. A couple times during the game (usually the 1st & 3rd period when the visiting goalie is at the student end), the crowd will call the goalie's name a few times then punctuate it with "You Suck"! -- against Maine, with the crowd pumped, and the goalies deserving the evaluation, maybe it added 5 or 6 more "You Suck"s.

That's all the formal cheers I can think of that use "suck". Remind me if I forgot any. There are of course the impromptu, independent calls of "You Suck" directed at the officials (especially Benedetto, Bunyon, etc.) for bad calls or directed at opposing players for dirty hit or simple obnoxiousness.

Despite your claim, those are not the only cheers or chants.

* When an opposing player gets a penalty, the crowd chants "Skate, Skate, Skate" as the player heads to the box, then "Sit Down *****!" when he gets there.

* The most prolific chant is UNH, UNH, UNH after a good play, to drown out the cheer for an opposing goal, or just to have something to say.

* Then there are the variety of "Give me a..." cheers: U-N-H...unh (and with feeling); S-E-X...score, score score; O-R-G-Y...teamwork, teamwork, teamwork.

* Go Blue, Go White -- back and forth from each side happens at least once a game

* There is a lengthy cheer, done section by section, which is too long to repeat here...but it ends with a unison "beat him with the bloody stump...hhhhhmmmm!"

* Near the end fo the game, when a positive outcome is obvious, there is "Is that not the winning team?....."

* Depending on the situation and outcome, you might get "Over-rated" or "Thanks for practice."

* One end-of-the-game cheer that has fallen out of favor in recent years is "Warm up the bus."

Finally, there are a few special chants reserved for specific teams:

* "Bad dog" for a BU or NU player when he gets a penalty

* "Harvard Wannabes" for Dartmouth, etc.

* And my all time favorite -- "Sucks to BU"

So as you can see, we have many more chants than just "You Suck." I agree we fall far short in creativity compared to midwestern & Ivy teams, but that's true of all Hockey East teams. I think the stronger football programs and years of tradition may be the reason for that.

From my experience, UNH fans are certainly not much worse or better than the fans from other schools. Like it or not, it has become part of college hockey. And if you don't agree.....na, na, naaaaaa, naaa, naaa...YOU SUCK too...just kidding.
    There's also the "Wheels on your house song", which I think is reserved for Maine, although I stand to be corrected. As well there's a couple different variations on the "If you can't get into ----, go to ----" song.

The best cheer of all isn't really a cheer and I've only heard it at UNH games. Just prior to the announcement that there's one minute left in the period, the student section calls out "Hey John, how much time is left?", to which he answer's "One minute, one minute left in the period". The student section then replies "Thank you!!". Normally that's the end of it, but on Friday after the "thank you" in the third period, the PA guy actually said "You're very welcome.". Truly hilarious
    Last edited by gounhwildcats; 02-10-2011, 01:21 AM.
    Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
    2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      We're basing this on what we heard on the broadcast, listen to your DVRed copy and you'll see what we are talking about. Their may be other things said or cheered but NESNs mike don't pick it up or maybe they aren't recognizable?
      So, would it be more accurate to say that the most recognizable cheers were the ones that contained the words "suck" or "sucks"? (Even if so, the claim that all of the cheers were "Maine sucks" is false.) I haven't re-watched Friday's game, but I did re-watch Saturday, and I can say for certain that I heard other cheers. Maybe NESN simply doctored the broadcast into the tundra of Maine, replacing all the other crowd noise with "Maine sucks"?

For the record, these are the cheers used regularly that incorporate "Suck". They have been around for a long time.

* The most prolific chant is UNH, UNH, UNH after a good play, to drown out the cheer for an opposing goal, or just to have something to say.

* Then there are the variety of "Give me a..." cheers: U-N-H...unh (and with feeling); S-E-X...score, score score; O-R-G-Y...teamwork, teamwork, teamwork.

* Go Blue, Go White -- back and forth from each side happens at least once a game
      All of these could be heard on the Saturday broadcast.

* There is a lengthy cheer, done section by section, which is too long to repeat here...but it ends with a unison "beat him with the bloody stump...unh!"
      "Beat 'em, Smash 'em, Break his face" (fixed the end of it in for you). Also audible on Saturday.

Apparently it all sounds like "sucks" to Maine fans.
      Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
      -Fred Shero

Comment

Have avoided this post as these were 2 games I did not need to relive! However since I was at both games, and as someone who attended my first UNH game in 1979 while in High School and at least go to the Maine games at UNH every year I am sorry to say that the UNH had only 1 original cheer all weekend, and the prevalent cheer contained the word Suck.

Examples, we have the obvious "Sieve, sieve, sieve, you suck!", "Maine Sucks", A new one "M-A-I-N-E, Youuuuuu Suck!" etc.

The one original was "Hi-Ber-Nation!" which was good.

A buddy and I actually had a UNH fan come up to us with his young son and ask if it was "this bad" at Maine?

AND I had to laugh when I see the scoreboard encouraging fans to be loud! That is embarrassing!

Also annoying is the constant reading of promotional info by the PA guy during play, no wonder you have to be told when to cheer, when he is done speaking!

Oh and Friday night as I climbed the snowbank instead of waiting to go up the stairs some 8 year-old sees my hat and yells "Maine Sucks" while his parents smiled in approval! Very disappointing, as none of this existed when my daughters, now college age were going to games at that age. I actually blame the whole "Yankees Suck" bumper stickers for this new trend. Would much rather see fans come up with original cheers, but see little of that these days.
        Last edited by BobF; 02-10-2011, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
          Oh and Friday night as I climbed the snowbank instead of waiting to go up the stairs some 8 year-old sees my hat and yells "Maine Sucks" while his parents smiled in approval!
          Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson:
          "The impertinent whippersnapper."
          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
            Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson"The impertinent whippersnapper.":
            Now that's funny!

Comment

* One end-of-the-game cheer that has fallen out of favor in recent years is "Warm up the bus."
              It's been quite a while, possibly '03-'04 or '04-'05. The last two that I remember were "warm up the buuse (rhymes w/ moose), eh?" for a Canadian exhibition and "warm up the tractor" (which became "start your tractors" *clap clap* *clap clap clap* the following year) for Maine.

"Maine Sucks", A new one "M-A-I-N-E, Youuuuuu Suck!" etc.
              There was "M-A-I-N-E, Maine sucks", there was not "Maine sucks" and "M-A-I-N-E, Youuuuuu Suck!", nor is M-A-I-N-E "new", I think it got it's start in '05-'06.
              Last edited by ClOuD 9; 02-10-2011, 08:25 AM.
              "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
              Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
              NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
              EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
              AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
              1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson:
                "The impertinent whippersnapper."
                Now that's funny!
                From a fellow member of the Mr. Wilson Club.
                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Have avoided this post as these were 2 games I did not need to relive! However since I was at both games, and as someone who attended my first UNH game in 1979 while in High School and at least go to the Maine games at UNH every year I am sorry to say that the UNH had only 1 original cheer all weekend, and the prevalent cheer contained the word Suck.

Examples, we have the obvious "Sieve, sieve, sieve, you suck!", "Maine Sucks", A new one "M-A-I-N-E, Youuuuuu Suck!" etc.

The one original was "Hi-Ber-Nation!" which was good.

A buddy and I actually had a UNH fan come up to us with his young son and ask if it was "this bad" at Maine?

AND I had to laugh when I see the scoreboard encouraging fans to be loud! That is embarrassing!

Also annoying is the constant reading of promotional info by the PA guy during play, no wonder you have to be told when to cheer, when he is done speaking!

Oh and Friday night as I climbed the snowbank instead of waiting to go up the stairs some 8 year-old sees my hat and yells "Maine Sucks" while his parents smiled in approval! Very disappointing, as none of this existed when my daughters, now college age were going to games at that age. I actually blame the whole "Yankees Suck" bumper stickers for this new trend. Would much rather see fans come up with original cheers, but see little of that these days.
                  I find it curious that you are "... sorry to say that the UNH had only 1 original cheer all weekend..." Would it have eased your pain of losing both games if UNH fans had 2 or 3 "original" cheers last weekend. I could care less what cheers come from opposing fandoms. Over the years I have been thoroughly entertained by UNH fans and their cheers. I am particularly fond of the "dirty hippies" cheer when playing UVM. I know a lot of UVM fans and never once have I heard them complain about UNH cheers. It's part of the experience. Why would you be embarassed when you see the scoreboard encouraging fans to be loud? If I were you I'd be more embarassed about your team play than UNH fans. I'm sure UNH fans didn't need that prompt to be loud anyway. We were playing Maine ferrchrissake!!!

Hope this isn't too much vitriol for you to stand but really your comments just sound like sour grapes more than anything else
                  Last edited by e.cat; 02-10-2011, 09:52 AM.
                  UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Actually e. cat I enjoy the entire experience at games, and have been to other games at UNH that are not nearly as entertaining as when they play Maine. I was not commenting on the results both were entertaining hockey games and I left disappointed both nights. However having attended college hockey games for over 30 years now, I would say that yes I am disappointed that it has evolved to "you suck" at virtually every rink in Hockey East. And call me crazy but I do like "original cheers". Last year, or the year before the students broke into "Oh My Darling" when Scott Darling gave up a goal, easy and good. Maine Sucks, not so. Was confused by the state school cheer as the students may not understand they are one and the same, but at least suck was not part of the cheer and it was not original.

Glad you are entertained by the cheers it's just my .02 cents and over the years UNH has been better than other schools with the cheering, guess I am just tired of the you suck cheers.

As for the board encouraging noise, most of my friends are UNH alums and we were with another couple that night who are UNH alumni and they too thought that was very weak that prompting was needed (and it was at times) to get the students to cheer. Maine has the same problem with the older crowd sitting on their hands, but students and pep band (not blasted music) can get the crowd going.

Comment

Actually e. cat I enjoy the entire experience at games, and have been to other games at UNH that are not nearly as entertaining as when they play Maine. I was not commenting on the results both were entertaining hockey games and I left disappointed both nights. However having attended college hockey games for over 30 years now, I would say that yes I am disappointed that it has evolved to "you suck" at virtually every rink in Hockey East. And call me crazy but I do like "original cheers". Last year, or the year before the students broke into "Oh My Darling" when Scott Darling gave up a goal, easy and good. Maine Sucks, not so. Was confused by the state school cheer as the students may not understand they are one and the same, but at least suck was not part of the cheer and it was not original.

Glad you are entertained by the cheers it's just my .02 cents and over the years UNH has been better than other schools with the cheering, guess I am just tired of the you suck cheers.

As for the board encouraging noise, most of my friends are UNH alums and we were with another couple that night who are UNH alumni and they too thought that was very weak that prompting was needed (and it was at times) to get the students to cheer. Maine has the same problem with the older crowd sitting on their hands, but students and pep band (not blasted music) can get the crowd going.
                      Fair enough BobF. Good luck the rest of the way this year......
                      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Was confused by the state school cheer as the students may not understand they are one and the same, but at least suck was not part of the cheer and it was not original.
                        What "State school" cheer?
                        Aren't you the same geniuses that had a "If you can't get in to college go to State" sign in Albany for Michigan State?

I actually agree with you on this one, the lone stick figure animation was cute and fun (perhaps due entirely to the randomness of it), but now they are trying to expand it further using the amber board to start cheers ("ooooooooh") and it is becoming increasingly Busch League. If athletics were to get involved at all it should be as a facilitator, not regulator, of cheers.
                        "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                        Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                        NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                        EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                        AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                        1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

We may be the University of No Hardware (re NCAA)...

But at least we are looking ahead to changing that.

really?
                          I was not aware that the retirement had been announced to the public....
                          I surely hope that Borek is not taking the reins, I mean I know what he did to Lake State, and THEY WERE a tourney powerhouse

best of luck to whistling Dick, a nice man, for certain, happy retirement

Comment

You sure he wasn't asking about the condition of the hockey team?
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Were there this many complaints after Maine played BU earlier this year ("the song" at the start of periods + PP's, "BC sucks" in their sieve chant, "sucks" during intros, "[goalie 3x] you suck!", etc.)? Cornell down in Florida (rock n' roll part II - "sieve! you suck!", "******* 'em up, ******* 'em up, go CU", "[school name] - sucks!", "hey [goalie], you're an embarrassment to [school] and [school] hockey sucks", etc)? Or can we expose this for the hollow charade that it is.

Maine hockey: we'll ignore complaints of trash being dumped from the balcony for years but if you shout "you suck" at an opposing rink we'll cry till the rafter rings.

The steins must be empty.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Whitt View Post
                                Were there this many complaints after Maine played BU earlier this year ("the song" at the start of periods + PP's, "BC sucks" in their sieve chant, "sucks" during intros, "[goalie 3x] you suck!", etc.)? Cornell down in Florida (rock n' roll part II - "sieve! you suck!", "******* 'em up, ******* 'em up, go CU", "[school name] - sucks!", "hey [goalie], you're an embarrassment to [school] and [school] hockey sucks", etc)? Or can we expose this for the hollow charade that it is.

Maine hockey: we'll ignore complaints of trash being dumped from the balcony for years but if you shout "you suck" at an opposing rink we'll cry till the rafter rings.

The steins must be empty.
                                Good post man. My eyes and ears hurt like he11, but otherwise than that, good job.
                                I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X