Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Hampshire vs. Maine: Feb 4/5

Originally posted by acs64 View Post
    Yeah, I wuzznt going to bring it up, but since it has.....it was pretty disheartening to hear the Maine Sucks cheer loud and clear on NESN. Over and over and over again. I always thought UNH fanz took some pride in their cheer creativity. Most all of hockey east fans now have hit the bottom of the barrel, apparently taking UMass and BU fans as their role models.
    Yeah, it was pretty constant, wasn't it? Just over and over and over again. A solid 12 minutes of the second period was nothing but "Maine Sucks!" repeated over and over again.

Except not really.
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
    -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
      so you're basing this on second hand oppinion? FYI, there are no group cheers at Maine that involve "suck(s)".
      I'm basing that on what people who post on this message board have personally told me of their experiences at Alfond. And a cheer that involves the word "suck" is far better than being pelted with snowballs outside the arena or having soda dumped on you from the balcony above or feeling like you were going to get curb stomped for wearing a UNH jersey into the arena. All of which I have personally been told has happened to various posters on this board when they went to Alfond.

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      On tv you guys have a one word cheer vocabulary and that word is sucks, I heard it all game long in both games. My guess is it was written on the Thunder sticks so you wouldn't forget what to say
      That was very helpful as it is a difficult word to remember over the long haul of a 60 minute game .
      Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
      2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
        Yeah, it was pretty constant, wasn't it? Just over and over and over again. A solid 12 minutes of the second period was nothing but "Maine Sucks!" repeated over and over again.

Except not really.
        Never let the facts get in the way of a good argument.
        Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
        2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post

Except not really.
          We're basing this on what we heard on the broadcast, listen to your DVRed copy and you'll see what we are talking about. Their may be other things said or cheered but NESNs mike don't pick it up or maybe they aren't recognizable?
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
            We're basing this on what we heard on the broadcast, listen to your DVRed copy and you'll see what we are talking about. Their may be other things said or cheered but NESNs mike don't pick it up or maybe they aren't recognizable?
            I heard a lot of "sucks" at the game Friday and on NESN on Saturday. Honestly, that is not what its like at the average home game, the students were pumped and quite vocal. Kids nowadays........

Comment

I agree, there is no reason for anyone to chuck a puck at anyone, player or opposing fan. It pretty ignorant when you can't enjoy a game(win or lose) without being civil.
              Except Curry who shoots pucks into the stands.
              Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

Originally posted by IrishWildcat View Post
                Chad, great to see you, Dean, Tobey, Christian, and the rest of the gang again. It seems to grow bigger every year. Glad you got to see 2 great games, and share some "ginger ales" afterwards. Maybe next year we'll actually get some good weather for you guys.

Glad you guys made it back to your respective homes okay, and we'll be eagerly awaiting the 2012 trip.
                Irish... thanks, buddy... and the trip was amazing... as usual. Well, the rain was again a bit surreal, but nowhere near as bad as last yr! Yep, two more key wins and glad everyone arrived home without too much trouble. Thanks again for coming out and having some fun afterwards each night! Great times, brother... Next yr can't get here quickly enough!
                Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
                ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
                Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
                Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
                NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Well.. aside from the "sucks" issue and what is or is not an appropriate amount to use in cheers.... UNH has now upped its record vs Maine to 10-3-0 since 2/07 and 14-5-0 since 2/05. Not bad for a team Maine does not even consider its arch-rival.
                  Detroit Red Wings - Stanley Cup Champions 08, 02, 98, 97, 55, 54, 52, 50, 43, 37, 36

Arsenal FC - League Champions 04, 02, 98, 91, 89, 71, 53, 48, 38, 35, 34, 33, 31

Proud member of the Coalition of the Swilling

UNH Wildcats
                  ECAC Tourney Champs 79
                  Hockey East Regular Season Champs 09-10, 07-08, 06-07, 02-03, 01-02, 98-99, 96-97, 91-92
                  Hockey East Tourney Champs 03, 02
                  Frozen Four 03, 02, 99, 98, 82, 79, 77
                  NCAA Champ. Game 03, 99

Comment

Does the rest of cheer have "sucks" in it?
                    Nope and it was pretty loud on the tv
                    UNH

"Any idiot can spell a word the same way time after time. But it call for imagination and is much more distinguished to be able to spell it several different ways as I do." -Patton

Comment

Originally posted by gounhwildcats View Post
                      And a cheer that involves the word "suck" is far better than being pelted with snowballs outside the arena or having soda dumped on you from the balcony above or feeling like you were going to get curb stomped for wearing a UNH jersey into the arena.
                      Yeah, if you wear a jacket that even resembles something with Maine colors, we'll just ask you what the score of the game was.

But seriously, I could care less about creativity or being clever or any of that crap. So long as the crowd is making noise, and lots of it, I'm happy. I believe in keeping things simple so that as many people jump in as possible.

Did we say "You Suck!" or Maine Sucks!" a lot? You bet. Does it lack creativity? Of course it does. It's neither clever nor well-thought out. I'll be the first to admit that.

However, it's the crowd's job to create a hostile atmosphere for an opposing team to play in. That's especially imperative when it's our major rival. In order to create such an atmosphere, it's usually a good idea to get as many people involved in chants/cheers as possible. Therefore, it's a good idea to keep things simple and easy to comprehend. "(Insert goalie's name here)...YOU SUCK!" isn't too hard to figure out. Unfortunately, it seems like "You Suck" is a phrase that has a definitive cadence and tone to it that you can distinguish easily on TV.

Just because the mike doesn't pick it up doesn't mean it isn't there. Announcers have a wonderful way of talking over crowd noise. We try to mix it up, usually something along the lines of "Let's Go Cats" or "U-N-H" when there's a play where the crowd starts to get excited (scoring chance, big hit, etc.) some others are useful as general filler. Situational specific stuff (PP, PK, 2-man) There's plenty more than "You suck!" if you either listen for it or make your way down to the Whitt to enjoy a game.

There's more to the crowd than what the mikes pick up. Heck, most of the cheering goes on when the commercials are on the TV.
                      A Decade of Dominance

2001 2003 2004 2007 2008 2011

Comment

Originally posted by MAINEhockeyFireWhitehead View Post
                        University of No Hardware
                        We may be the University of No Hardware (re NCAA)...

But at least we are looking ahead to changing that.

Maine fans are living in the past. Sorry, Grandpa.

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                          ....I know that no one is blaming the athletes, but the only thing I saw differing between the 2 teams was strength in the four lines for UNH vs. 2 for Maine....can any of us imagine how tired Nyquist was when he was skating to the open net? It seemed that he, Abbott and Flynn were out there for the whole 3rd period.....Maine pushed UNH to be the team that they can be...always moving their skates, smart board play, and continual forcing the play to the net, (UNH that is)....
                          UNH does win many games from behind in the 3rd and often it is because the other team just gets tired out on the big ice.

I was wondering if part of Maine's trouble in closing out games could be the heavy fore checking and trapping they do early in the game. I notice Friday they were giving UNH fits getting the puck up ice by forechecking two skaters and putting heavy pressure at the blue line. Is this UMO's regular MO? I would think that could really tire them out so they don't have the drive they need for the 3rd period.

UNH seems to pace themselves well. Playing good positional defense and not hustling to every loose puck, etc. (Which drives me nuts at times.) Don't know if it is a planned strategy but it works. The Cats seem to be able to really step on the gas at the end of the game and score when it's needed. They've done it 6-8 times this year so far -- either to win or tie it up within the last few minutes.

Comment

On tv you guys have a one word cheer vocabulary and that word is sucks, I heard it all game long in both games. My guess is it was written on the Thunder sticks so you wouldn't forget what to say
                            But at least the UNH students can read it. Maine fans would need a tutor.

Comment

Originally posted by WildShawn View Post
                              In reality though, wasn't it more disheartening to see Maine sucking than to hear Maine sucks?

UNH fans haven't been creative or loud, or travel well, etc, since the beginning of the last decade
                              Amen on both points!

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                                When did UNH become UMass with more people? Every chant focused on (insert school/player) "SUCKS!" Disappointing.
                                For the record, these are the cheers used regularly that incorporate "Suck". They have been around for a long time.

1. When the opposing players are introduced, the fans give one clap and "You Suck" -- so that's five "sucks" -- the goalie gets Sieve, Sieve, Sieve...

2. During the song after a goal is scored, the fans point at the goalie and repeat "You Suck" at specific places in the song. Later the fans, hum the song on their own and punctuated with "You Suck" as well. So that could be 4-5 per rendition -- 8-10 "sucks" per goal. So credit the crowd with 60 "Sucks" Friday and 50 "Sucks" Saturday.

3. A couple times during the game (usually the 1st & 3rd period when the visiting goalie is at the student end), the crowd will call the goalie's name a few times then punctuate it with "You Suck"! -- against Maine, with the crowd pumped, and the goalies deserving the evaluation, maybe it added 5 or 6 more "You Suck"s.

That's all the formal cheers I can think of that use "suck". Remind me if I forgot any. There are of course the impromptu, independent calls of "You Suck" directed at the officials (especially Benedetto, Bunyon, etc.) for bad calls or directed at opposing players for dirty hit or simple obnoxiousness.

Despite your claim, those are not the only cheers or chants.

* When an opposing player gets a penalty, the crowd chants "Skate, Skate, Skate" as the player heads to the box, then "Sit Down *****!" when he gets there.

* The most prolific chant is UNH, UNH, UNH after a good play, to drown out the cheer for an opposing goal, or just to have something to say.

* Then there are the variety of "Give me a..." cheers: U-N-H...unh (and with feeling); S-E-X...score, score score; O-R-G-Y...teamwork, teamwork, teamwork.

* Go Blue, Go White -- back and forth from each side happens at least once a game

* There is a lengthy cheer, done section by section, which is too long to repeat here...but it ends with a unison "beat him with the bloody stump...hhhhhmmmm!"

* Near the end fo the game, when a positive outcome is obvious, there is "Is that not the winning team?....."

* Depending on the situation and outcome, you might get "Over-rated" or "Thanks for practice."

* One end-of-the-game cheer that has fallen out of favor in recent years is "Warm up the bus."

Finally, there are a few special chants reserved for specific teams:

* "Bad dog" for a BU or NU player when he gets a penalty

* "Harvard Wannabes" for Dartmouth, etc.

* And my all time favorite -- "Sucks to BU"

So as you can see, we have many more chants than just "You Suck." I agree we fall far short in creativity compared to midwestern & Ivy teams, but that's true of all Hockey East teams. I think the stronger football programs and years of tradition may be the reason for that.

From my experience, UNH fans are certainly not much worse or better than the fans from other schools. Like it or not, it has become part of college hockey. And if you don't agree.....na, na, naaaaaa, naaa, naaa...YOU SUCK too...just kidding.

Comment

Working...
                                X