No announcement yet.

Plattsburgh State Hockey 2010-11 - "We still have to fine tune some things..."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plattsburgh State Hockey 2010-11 - "We still have to fine tune some things..."

With the old thread closed, "We still have to fine tune some things..."

Lakers add to Cards' frustration - {Article from the Plattsburgh Press-Republican 1/30/2011}

"We still have to fine tune some things..." (a work in progress???)

The Plattsburgh State men's hockey team couldn't have played much better Saturday night.

But, the Cardinals still came up short against top-ranked Oswego when Luke Moodie's power-play goal at 9:41 of the third period gave the Lakers a 4-3 victory in State University of New York Athletic Conference play at the Stafford Ice Arena.

Oswego, beating the Cardinals for the fifth time in a row, improved to 12-0 in the conference and 19-2-0 overall, while the Cardinals, who dropped a 2-0 contest to Cortland the night before, are now 6-6 in the SUNYAC and 13-6-1 overall.

Plattsburgh State doubled Oswego in shots on goal, 38-19, but didn't have the edge on the scoreboard where it mattered the most.

"In my 23 years of coaching, I can't remember a time when we played pretty well in back-to-back games like this and didn't win either game," said Plattsburgh State head coach Bob Emery.

"Good teams find a way to win. And, right now, we're finding ways to lose. But, I'm still proud of the guys."
    The Cardinals and Lakers were tied, at 2-all, entering the third period.

But, Plattsburgh State grabbed a 3-2 advantage on Ryan Craig's power-play goal at 3:41. Vick Schlueter's shot from the side was deflected to Craig, who beat Oswego goalie Paul Beckwith straight on.

The Lakers, however, tied it at the 8:22 mark while being a little fortunate in the process.

Jon Whitelaw got behind the Cardinal defense and went in alone on goalie Josh Leis. Leis made the save, but a Plattsburgh State defenseman, skating back on the play, slid into Leis and knocked the puck loose and just over the line.

Then, just over a minute later, Moodie scored a power-play goal on a tip-in for the game-winner.

"We had a senior take a bad penalty and they were able to score the go-ahead goal," said Emery.

Thoughts of a Plattsburgh State comeback were put in jeopardy with 4:50 remaining when the Cardinals were hit for a five-minute penalty for contact to the head.

But, Oswego was whistled for a too many men on the ice penalty with 1:43 left and Leis was pulled for an extra attacker. The Cardinals, however, weren't able to get the equalizer.

Schlueter, who played a strong game, gave the Cardinals a 2-0 lead in the first period with two power-play goals.

The first came on a rebound from the side at 3:26 and the second was nearly from the same spot just inside the near post at the 11:26 mark

But, Oswego cut its deficit in half at the 17:35 mark. Chris Laganiere sent a shot from just beyond the faceoff circle up top to beat Leis.

The Lakers then tied it at 5:58 of the second when an Oswego shot bounced off the boards and in front to Chris Muise, who scored a power-play from in close.

Plattsburgh State nearly took the lead later in the period when a shot was ruled to have hit the post along the ice and bounced out.

"It was a controversial non-goal call on a shot by Dylan Clarke," said Emery. "We looked at the tape and it was a good goal. But, we can't make excuses."

Beckwith finished with 35 saves in net for the Lakers to remain unbeaten in goal this season. Leis stopped 15 shots for the Cardinals.

"We just have to keep working hard," said Emery. "We still have to fine tune some things and we need to get a little better leadership."

The Cardinals are back at it on Tuesday at the Stafford Ice Arena when they close out their 10-game homestand with a big non-conference game with Middlebury.
    Last edited by norm1909; 01-30-2011, 09:26 AM.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey 2010-11 - "We still have to fine tune some things..."

Originally posted by TacoRob
    It still blows my mind that Emery thinks they played two strong games this weekend; but I guess we all have our own opinions.
    Oh i don't know..if you held a gun to my head I'd take the guy that has two national championships rather than the guy that has probably never played sports.
    Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 01-31-2011, 01:05 PM.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Re: Plattsburgh State Hockey 2010-11 - "We still have to fine tune some things..."

Coach said the Clarke's goal was a "good goal"? Did anybody see it go in? I was down at that end and I was screened by Beckwith. I couldn't see if it crossed the line or not.
      Last edited by CardsFan91; 01-31-2011, 07:11 AM.
      Plattsburgh State Cardinals
      1992 & 2001 NCAA Division III Ice Hockey Champions
      21 SUNYAC Championships

Comment

I was watching it on Primelink and saw several reviews, although not in good quality and the puck appeared to go from post to post. If you think about it logically or mathmatically, how could it cross the line "completely" by going post to post and then out onto the ice. If it had crossed the line it logically would have hit the inside of the 2nd post and then into the net. If I'm wrong I welcome any other reasoning as to how it was a goal.

Comment

It's all Charlie's fault, if not for him, Prez would have been at the Stafford
          Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Some attendance numbers for The Stafford Oswego game:

Friday, November 11, 2005 - 2918
            Saturday, December 2, 2006 - 3173
            Friday, January 25, 2008 - 2415 (NOT a sellout - old seating)
            Friday, December 5, 2008 - 1924 (Sellout)
            Saturday, November 7, 2009 - 2106 (Sellout)
            Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 2056 (Sellout)
            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
              Some attendance numbers for The Stafford Oswego game:

Friday, November 11, 2005 - 2918
              Saturday, December 2, 2006 - 3173
              Friday, January 25, 2008 - 2415 (NOT a sellout - old seating)
              Friday, December 5, 2008 - 1924 (Sellout)
              Saturday, November 7, 2009 - 2106 (Sellout)
              Saturday, January 29, 2011 - 2056 (Sellout)
              What about the 2008 SUNYAC finals? Place was jammed.

2009 SUNYAC finals had to be sold out I would guess.
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                I second that!
                21 SUNYAC Championships

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

2009 SUNYAC finals had to be sold out I would guess.
                  I'll take this one; norm can have the tough lookups

Saturday, March 1, 2008 (SUNYAC Finals) - 3189
                  Saturday, March 7, 2009 (SUNYAC Finals) - 1911 (not even a sellout under the new configuration )

By the by, the last genuine sellout I could find prior to the renovations - in the sense of 3500+, although anything over 3000 made things pretty cozy - was the regular-season Oswego matchup for the '98-'99 season.
                  Go Cards: win or lose, The Better Team.
                  A Lot of (Sometimes Tainted) SUNYAC Championships
                  A Handful of ECAC West Championships
                  A Number of NCAA Appearances, Including Several Trips to the Final Four, Though Some of Them Don't Count
                  Some National Championships:
                  Women's (THIS YEAR, LAST YEAR, A Couple Years Back, '08, '07)
                  Men's (Wow Look at the Time Pass, A While before That)

Comment

Originally posted by CardsFan91 View Post
                    Coach said the Clarke goal was a "good goal"? Did anybody see it go in? I was down at that end and I was screened by Beckwith. I couldn't see if it crossed the line or not.
                    I was sitting in the 3rd row, section F with a clear view and watched it go in, along with both Platty playa's....it was a proper goal...

EDIT - I was referring to the "other goal" sorry - I am still a bit giddy...play on
                    LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

I was just going through the national statistics. Plattburgh is dead last in the country in penalty minutes per game at 9.2. Atleast people can't complain that we're not playing disciplined hockey.

Just a reminder. Behind the Bench with Ducky Drake and Bob Emery is tonight at 6:30pm on WIRY. It will be interesting to hear Emery's thoughts on this past weekend.
                      21 SUNYAC Championships

Comment

Emery is just going to talk about how well the team played and how "the puck just didn't bounce our way." I didn't see the game Friday, but the team played great Saturday, even better than they played in Oswego. I saw it mentioned on here, but I wonder if he is going to talk about Corry (probably not mentioning by name) being in the doghouse.

Oh well, Middlebury tomorrow night and then making the short trip to Morrisville on Saturday. I'm praying I don't leave the IcePlex with a Cardinal loss.

Comment

Im sure there are enough people out there who will say Plattsburgh played well this weekend . On the otherhand lets face it they went 0-2 , where I come from the two are not the same. Plattsburgh is in the league of teams that are not judged by means of playing well. Very few teams just play well and hang a national championship banner in the rafters. Teams that play well and find a way to win when they play well do , or find a way to win even if they dont play well do , but going 0-2 against both ends of the conference spectrum is troubling . We are what we are and at this point we are 6-6 in the SUNYAC Conference , middle of the pack.

This team has exhibited a middle of the pack persona too often , Why? Is it talent ? , depth ? or just lack of fear and respect from other teams who viewed Plattsburgh as unbeatable just a few seasons ago . In any event if this average middle of the pack persona shows up again its over for the Cards.

If they play like that in the SUNYAC Playoffs ,over , if they are fortunate enough to get in the NCAA Tourney and it makes an appearance, its over. They need to get an us against the world mentality , road warrior mentality , and every single player has to raise his game to the highest level they have ever played and then find about 10% more than that or its over. I cant figure out what they have been playing for all year ,certainly the regular season conference title is gone , so now they are playing for the SUNYAC Playoff Championship lets see if they can reach that goal.

I thought the fact that a #9 was sewn on their sweaters would help them gut it out and reach down inside when it was needed most. No disrespect but I cant recall any instance where the team gutted one out this season.

I dont know if its too late for this team or if they will all of a sudden wake up and realize that its getting late and this years team is going to either raise their collective efforts or
                          are they going to accept a "middle of the pack " designation like so many other teams in the country.

There I said it and if the players read it I hope I bruised an ego or two but its time to find out if you have what it takes to look inside and ask yourself " Have I given everything I have every second Im on the ice or not ? "

At 6-6 in the conference I' ll answer for you NO YOU HAVEN'T

Comment

Is it possible to play well and not win a game? Of course it is. Did Plattsburgh do that twice this weekend? Yeah, they really did. That gets them nothing in the standings, and Coach Emery knows that, but to not acknowledge they played well when they did doesn't seem to make much sense either. That said, they were ahead in Saturday's game because Oswego was accomodating with some undisciplined penalties. They lost Saturday's game because they returned the favor in the third period when it counted most. IT's great that they only have 9.whatever minutes in penalties a game, but if seven of them occur in the third period of a tight game you have to win...
                            Steve
                            Penn State Class of '95
                            Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                              Is it possible to play well and not win a game? Of course it is. Did Plattsburgh do that twice this weekend? Yeah, they really did. That gets them nothing in the standings, and Coach Emery knows that, but to not acknowledge they played well when they did doesn't seem to make much sense either. That said, they were ahead in Saturday's game because Oswego was accomodating with some undisciplined penalties. They lost Saturday's game because they returned the favor in the third period when it counted most. IT's great that they only have 9.whatever minutes in penalties a game, but if seven of them occur in the third period of a tight game you have to win...
                              +1 - Well said.
                              Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                              X