Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEY HERE IT IS! Its the UNO season thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HEY HERE IT IS! Its the UNO season thread!

So I must ask this....

I am bring my parents for the Friday night game. Tickets are sorted. Which is the better place? JDs or Farrells???

I want the better food, beer, more fans....atmosphere...friendly banter.
    Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

2016-17 Penrose Cup Champions

YEARS SINCE LAST COLORADO COLLEGE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - 61...and counting

Chicago Cubs - WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS - 1907, 1908, 2016

Chicago Blackhawks - STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS - 1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013, 2015

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
    www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
      So I must ask this....

I am bring my parents for the Friday night game. Tickets are sorted. Which is the better place? JDs or Farrells???

I want the better food, beer, more fans....atmosphere...friendly banter.
      You will be well served in either place. Farrells is a smaller location. DJ's is a bit loud, high ceilings, but a block closer to the Qwest. I haven't eaten at Farrells, there are lots of places to eat in the Old Market. If you have time, roam around a bit (depending on the weather.) Only 28 degrees as a high on Friday, so walking with parents could be at a minimum from hotel/parking.

Where are you staying?

Comment

Originally posted by NoClu View Post
        You will be well served in either place. Farrells is a smaller location. DJ's is a bit loud, high ceilings, but a block closer to the Qwest. I haven't eaten at Farrells, there are lots of places to eat in the Old Market. If you have time, roam around a bit (depending on the weather.) Only 28 degrees as a high on Friday, so walking with parents could be at a minimum from hotel/parking.

Where are you staying?
        I'm actually staying in Topeka and we're all driving up. Getting there between 430 and 5pm. Shorter the walk, the better...
        Denver Pioneers - NCAA ICE HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS - 1958, 60, 61, 68, 69, 2004, 05, 2017

Manchester City F.C. - Premier League/First Division Winners - 1937, 1968, 2012, 2014.

RIP Butch

sigpic
        www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

Originally posted by gomavs#1 View Post
          One more victory and we are at that all important 20 win season, required for consideration into the NCAAs. We have had a few really bad losses, but we have huge wins against some really good teams.
          Just so you know, hockey is not like NCAA basketball, there is no "selection," there is no consideration, no quality wins, no bad losses.... its all math. Win the conference playoffs and you're automatically in, then they fill the rest with the top teams in the PWR, where you guys are currently tied for 8th.
          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Crazy idea that me and a couple buddies floated tonight over a couple beers.

Maybe not so crazy.

What with all the Big 10 Hockey Conference talk and, as things stand now, that being a 6 team league, why couldn't UNO petition the Big 10 to become a league member in hockey and hockey alone? This is certainly not without precedence. For example, Notre Dame is a member of the Big East, in basketball alone. I realize that we are talking Notre Dame and UNO, however, I can think of at least some reasons that this might pass muster with the Big 10.

First and foremost, is that UNO is part of the same university system that the University of Nebraska at Lincoln is. I don't need to remind everyone who the newest member of the Big 10 is.

Second, it certainly makes some geographic sense.

Third, it also solves the 6 school problem since nobody else in the Big 10 has made serious public overtures about going D-1 in hockey despite the precense of strong club programs at Indiana, Illinois, and Nebraska and maybe even some of the other schools that I am not aware of. Maybe somebody else coattails along under the same pretenses with UNO out of the CCHA or WCHA with them to make an 8 team league. Notre Dame? I promise you, the Big 10 would be interested in that.

As an aside to this, it would also potentially make the University of Nebraska at Lincoln publicly state whether they are or are not interested in doing this themselves, now, or, in the future. This has already been the source of some conjecture around here:

http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8044

I note that there are no plans that I am aware of to put ice-making capability in the new arena that UNL is building in conjunction with the City of Lincoln. One could infer that they aren't a player in the Big 10 hockey game, then (unless they are planning to play at the Ice Box!). By doing this UNO could effectively erase UNL as a competitor in ice hockey. I don't know if the state could support two programs, anyway. My hope is that UNL (the regents) would realize that and not step on UNO's toes, particularly since UNO hockey is SO important to UNO's Athletic Department and Title 9 considerations there. The way I see it, UNL might even aid UNO in making this happen with the Big 10.

Whatever goes down, it's going to be an interesting next couple years or so. Anybody have thoughts on why this wouldn't, couldn't, or shouldn't happen?

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post

Maybe not so crazy.

What with all the Big 10 Hockey Conference talk and, as things stand now, that being a 6 team league, why couldn't UNO petition the Big 10 to become a league member in hockey and hockey alone? This is certainly not without precedence. For example, Notre Dame is a member of the Big East, in basketball alone. I realize that we are talking Notre Dame and UNO, however, I can think of at least some reasons that this might pass muster with the Big 10.

First and foremost, is that UNO is part of the same university system that the University of Nebraska at Lincoln is. I don't need to remind everyone who the newest member of the Big 10 is.

Third, it also solves the 6 school problem since nobody else in the Big 10 has made serious public overtures about going D-1 in hockey despite the precense of strong club programs at Indiana, Illinois, and Nebraska and maybe even some of the other schools that I am not aware of. Maybe somebody else coattails along under the same pretenses with UNO out of the CCHA or WCHA with them to make an 8 team league. Notre Dame? I promise you, the Big 10 would be interested in that.

As an aside to this, it would also potentially make the University of Nebraska at Lincoln publicly state whether they are or are not interested in doing this themselves, now, or, in the future. This has already been the source of some conjecture around here:

I note that there are no plans that I am aware of to put ice-making capability in the new arena that UNL is building in conjunction with the City of Lincoln. One could infer that they aren't a player in the Big 10 hockey game, then (unless they are planning to play at the Ice Box!). By doing this UNO could effectively erase UNL as a competitor in ice hockey. I don't know if the state could support two programs, anyway. My hope is that UNL (the regents) would realize that and not step on UNO's toes, particularly since UNO hockey is SO important to UNO's Athletic Department and Title 9 considerations there. The way I see it, UNL might even aid UNO in making this happen with the Big 10.

Whatever goes down, it's going to be an interesting next couple years or so. Anybody have thoughts on why this wouldn't, couldn't, or shouldn't happen?
              Great idea. Now get in line behind North Dakota, Denver, Duluth, Miami and Notre Dame.

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

Comment

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
                I'm actually staying in Topeka and we're all driving up. Getting there between 430 and 5pm. Shorter the walk, the better...
                Then DJ's is your answer, its literally right across the street from Qwest at 10th & Capitol.

Comment

Maybe not so crazy.

I just dont see that happening ever. If anything, UNL starts hockey before UNO gets into the Big 10.

Comment

Why would UNO want to be in a Big 10 Hockey league. To be ******ed on or otherwise mal-treated and ignored by an admnistration which wouldn't likely be concerned about anything outside of their "high profile" schools? We spent 10+ years in the CCHA, that was enough.
                    Last edited by NoClu; 02-26-2011, 11:51 AM.

Comment

SCSU -
                      Interesting information....I always was under the impression that in order to even be considered for NCAAs you had to have 20 wins. I knew they simply went down the line with the PWR, but I thought that if you didn't have 20 wins, the PWR didn't matter, you weren't receiving a bid. Thanks for droppin' some knowledge...of course, I need to tell Dean Blais that because I swear he mentioned that at his last radio show.
                      If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

Maybe we could do a little reading before we go yipping off, yes?

1) Agreed with NoClu. UNO is treated with respect in the W. We'd be a second-class citizen from the moment we joined the BTHC. The parallel with our treatment in the CCHA is if anything not strong enough. The WCHA will remain a power conference without MN and WI. Besides, given the comments of the Penn State guy earlier this week, the BTHC is likely to be in. suffer. able.

2) The PWR is Simple Math (tm). While you have to be a TUC to be in the pairwise, and they fool around occasionally with the TUC criterion, (RPI above .500, record above .500), they won't skip someone with 19 wins who is a TUC, and who is otherwise high enough in the Pairwise. It's tough, but not impossible, to qualify with fewer than 20 wins.

Comment

For example, Notre Dame is a member of the Big East, in basketball alone.
                          Anybody have thoughts on why this wouldn't, couldn't, or shouldn't happen?
                          First off, Notre Dame is a member of the Big East in everything but football. So you've got that one wrong.

As to why it wouldn't work, because only marginal conference tend to have "affiliate members." Ask yourself this, what the hell would the Big Ten gain out of adding UNO to their conference? Why would Indiana want to dilute its TV money for UNO (or any other non-Big 10 school)?

Comment

Originally posted by gomavs#1 View Post
                            SCSU -
                            Interesting information....I always was under the impression that in order to even be considered for NCAAs you had to have 20 wins. I knew they simply went down the line with the PWR, but I thought that if you didn't have 20 wins, the PWR didn't matter, you weren't receiving a bid. Thanks for droppin' some knowledge...of course, I need to tell Dean Blais that because I swear he mentioned that at his last radio show.
                            Hey, at least they made the .500 deal. Ask Mankato fans about that one... few years back they finished 4th in the league, got beat by the Goofs at home in the playoffs (one of the best WCHA playoff series ever; Kangas vs. Zacharias, lots of overtimes, low-scoring three-game spectacular!), and then a 6th place, swept by us in the the first round and SUB .500 Wisconsin stole their spot. And wanna know when you come down to looking at it what caused it? You guys sweeping them that year.

Comment

Originally posted by LincolnMav View Post
                              Then DJ's is your answer, its literally right across the street from Qwest at 10th & Capitol.
                              Very nice! How many of you will be there???

RIP Butch

sigpic
                              www.firstandmonday.com

Comment

"I just dont see that happening ever. If anything, UNL starts hockey before UNO gets into the Big 10."

Then we better see them putting ice making capability in that new arena downtown, something that ain't currently part of the design.

Further, we could then make UNL commit one way or the other by doing applying. I have been told by several individuals that Tom Osborne is pretty cool to the idea of hockey at UNL although I don't know why that would be and I don't know if it's true, even. It would certainly become a better revenue sport than basketball ever will. NU basketball is nobody, doing nothing, going nowhere. Never has and never will. New facilities or not. If UNL did upgrade to D-1 hockey, I submit that the hockey team would win a National Championship before UNL ever wins a NCAA tournament basketball game. Anybody ever been to a Husker Hockey game? I have, they play in Fremont:

http://www.huskerhockey.com/

It's a disgrace that their isn't ice at the Devaney so they can play there or, that they can't even play at the Icebox, which the University, I believe, now owns.

Comment

Working...
                                X