Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEY HERE IT IS! Its the UNO season thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HEY HERE IT IS! Its the UNO season thread!

Yes. I enjoyed giving the Mavs a standing O at their last game...bitter to lose their last 3 games at home, but overall, an excellent regular season. All UNO has to do is repeat what Denver accomplished in 2003(?)...finished 5th in the WCHA, lost in the 1st round of the playoffs failing to make the WCHA final five, got rested, beat a dominant Sioux team 1-0 in the regionals and went on to win the national championship. They were allowed to rest and nurse any injuries and capitalized on their opportunity. I'd love to see a UNO-Sioux frozen four matchup!

Comment

Originally posted by RODENBIKER View Post
      Yes. I enjoyed giving the Mavs a standing O at their last game...bitter to lose their last 3 games at home, but overall, an excellent regular season. All UNO has to do is repeat what Denver accomplished in 2003(?)...finished 5th in the WCHA, lost in the 1st round of the playoffs failing to make the WCHA final five, got rested, beat a dominant Sioux team 1-0 in the regionals and went on to win the national championship. They were allowed to rest and nurse any injuries and capitalized on their opportunity. I'd love to see a UNO-Sioux frozen four matchup!
      2004. The Regional Final between UND and DU is thought by many to be the best college hockey game played in the last 15+ years.
      North Dakota
      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        2004. The Regional Final between UND and DU is thought by many to be the best college hockey game played in the last 15+ years.
        We'd all love to play North Dakota again at ANY point in upcoming tournament, if possible. Need a rubber game. I enjoyed watching the games we lost. Those were 4 pretty entertaining games (although we'll understand if you don't think so as far as the Friday night game up there is concerned--heheheh). I'd have been prouder, still, if we'd been the only team that had shut you guys out this year as well.

I read, somewhere, a post by an ND fan (in the ND thread?) quoting Coach Blais from his ND days that he thought winning the conference title and/or winning the WCHA tournament had taken a lot out of some of his teams and that he thought they might have had better NCAA tournaments had they not shot their wads doing those things. I'm guessing you know what situations/years he might be referring to? Think he was right?

If true, maybe that IS something for us to hope for. As I have said, I am pretty sure we're "in".

If it just weren't for all the freakin' freshmen on our team................not a time for freshmen moments.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
          We'd all love to play North Dakota again at ANY point in upcoming tournament, if possible. Need a rubber game. I enjoyed watching the games we lost. Those were 4 pretty entertaining games (although we'll understand if you don't think so as far as the Friday night game up there is concerned--heheheh). I'd have been prouder, still, if we'd been the only team that had shut you guys out this year as well.

I read, somewhere, a post by an ND fan (in the ND thread?) quoting Coach Blais from his ND days that he thought winning the conference title and/or winning the WCHA tournament had taken a lot out of some of his teams and that he thought they might have had better NCAA tournaments had they not shot their wads doing those things. I'm guessing you know what situations/years he might be referring to? Think he was right?

If true, maybe that IS something for us to hope for. As I have said, I am pretty sure we're "in".

If it just weren't for all the freakin' freshmen on our team................not a time for freshmen moments.
          I cannot comment specifically on the Blais years but understand the grind of the WCHA season can be rough as any team is capable of winning on any given night. However, trying to win the Broadmoor to enhance your pairwise can take a toll. Last year, the Sioux played 6 high-energy games in 9 days to win the Broadmoor and may have run out of gas in getting beat by Yale the following week. So, in the old Final 5 format, if you finished 4th or 5th in the WCHA and took 3 games to advance to the final 5 and end up playing 3 more games, the additional wear & tear on the body could affect your regional play. I'm hoping CC, Western Michigan, and Dartmouth lose.
          Last edited by RODENBIKER; 03-18-2011, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Go Yale!

Comment

Originally posted by LincolnMav View Post
              Go Yale!
              Yeah, no kidding.

There is actually a fairly plausible scenario that gets UNO a #3 seed, still:

Atlantic Hockey

* Championship game: RIT defeats Air Force

CCHA

* Championship game: Miami defeats Western Michigan
              * Consolation game: Michigan defeats Notre Dame

ECAC

* Championship game: Yale defeats Cornell
              * Consolation game: Colgate defeats Dartmouth

Hockey East

* Championship game: Boston College defeats Merrimack

WCHA

* Championship game: North Dakota defeats Denver

Comment

I could care less at this point what seed they get. JUST. GET. IN!

Comment

I could care less at this point what seed they get. JUST. GET. IN!
                  I think you're safe. I'm not sure if there is a scenario that bounces you.
                  tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                    I think you're safe. I'm not sure if there is a scenario that bounces you.
                    There are a few. They are crazy scenarios, but they do exist. Yale beating Cornell puts them all to bed.

Comment

There are a few. They are crazy scenarios, but they do exist. Yale beating Cornell puts them all to bed.
                      Yeah, as long as Yale wins you guys were fine. Basically DU and UND both winning gave you a big sigh of relief. BSU would've had to win twice to screw you guys, but if CC had beaten UND, there were scenarios that would have put them ahead of you even if they'd lost to DU. .
                      tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

We're in!

A 3 seed as things stand now. Sure would like to see it stay that way, too.

Come on, PLEASE send us to Green Bay or St Louis!

Comment

**** its nice to be glued to the Selection special again!

Comment

Wow. What a draw. Freaking Meatchicken! Time to light up the weasels! GO MAVS!!

Comment

Saved my 100th post for our own thread.

If you aren't headed for St Louis, get your keister down to Aksarben Cinema on Friday afternoon:

http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8237

Come on UNO fan. You. Must. Represent.

Remember:

http://www.omavs.com/custompages/gal...gan/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddJGJe90b5w

It's Weasel Stomping Day on Friday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k76IGLi6jWI

UNO, UNO, UNO!!! Unleash the fury!!!

Comment

This is going to be the longest afternoon ever. Hope UNO comes out and plays their game. I BELIEVE! GO GO UNO!

Comment

Working...
                                X