Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Now. Who is coming to East Lansing

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    State's neglected the hockey program somewhat, especially when compared to Denver. Munn alone could/should get a couple million in renovations, a coach looking at playing in a future BTHC may want an on-campus Olympic sized practice rink given Wisconsin and Minnesota's arenas. I'm sure a MSU fan would have a better idea.
    Allow me to copy and paste...

Though Munn is old, it sets an excellent baseline for renovation.

The sightlines are already excellent, the luxury suites are pretty good, and the scoring electronics are fine despite being about a decade old.

If you put money toward expanding the concourse and the restrooms, build an high-capacity indoor ticket counter area, replace the rink and refrigeration system, rip out the fatigued lime green fiberglass benches and replace the old benches with chairback seating, add a practice facility with an olympic sheet, update the locker rooms, and, in general, make the place look less like a 1960s prop from a sci-fi alien invasion film, and you'll suddenly have one of the best facilities in college hockey again. It sounds like a lot of work, but it's really not compared to some of the other rinks I've visited in this league. The university has done a really great job taking care of the building, but elements of the facility are still straight out of 1974.

Following that, if you move the students down to the glass, drop the student season ticket price by 50 percent, and work a bit harder to promote hockey on campus, you'll suddenly have a great state-of-the-art rink with a good atmosphere that people (and potential recruits) would actually want to visit and experience on a regular basis.

It's not a necessity to pour a ton of money into Munn, but some funds need to be allocated.
    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
    66 - 86 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
      I could see it really easily as well.

If MSU offers him $500K for 5 years, you're at $2.5 there. Some upgrades of some sort at Munn could burn through another mil or two quite easily. It's not hard to get to $4 mil. So, yeah, a few million.
      There is also the buyout of his current contract at $300,000 plus per year which I believe runs through 2014. Paying 2 assistants and a director of hockey op $100,000 to $150,000 each per year. That doesn't include the extras like his summer hockey camp, radio show,etc. The other thing is pretty much every DU home game and a lot of road games are televised locally and nationally or webcast live over the internet. That is a big recruiting tool in that parents and relatives that can't be at the games can see their kids play in the comfort of their home. Historically, the Gophers are the only team that was seen on TV more nationally than DU. UND now has all their home games on Fox College Sports so they are catching up with DU and MN in that regard.
      DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
        Allow me to copy and paste...

Though Munn is old, it sets an excellent baseline for renovation.

The sightlines are already excellent, the luxury suites are pretty good, and the scoring electronics are fine despite being about a decade old.

If you put money toward expanding the concourse and the restrooms, build an high-capacity indoor ticket counter area, replace the rink and refrigeration system, rip out the fatigued lime green fiberglass benches and replace the old benches with chairback seating, add a practice facility with an olympic sheet, update the locker rooms, and, in general, make the place look less like a 1960s prop from a sci-fi alien invasion film, and you'll suddenly have one of the best facilities in college hockey again. It sounds like a lot of work, but it's really not compared to some of the other rinks I've visited in this league. The university has done a really great job taking care of the building, but elements of the facility are still straight out of 1974.

Following that, if you move the students down to the glass, drop the student season ticket price by 50 percent, and work a bit harder to promote hockey on campus, you'll suddenly have a great state-of-the-art rink with a good atmosphere that people (and potential recruits) would actually want to visit and experience on a regular basis.

It's not a necessity to pour a ton of money into Munn, but some funds need to be allocated.
        The DU hockey team has their own practice facility, Joy Burns Arena, when ice is not available at Magness. The hockey team and the other varsity teams have a brand new state-of-the art physical training facility that was donated by Pat Bowlen, the owner of the Broncos. Part of that facility is a large theater for video teaching and game tape review. All of the training rooms are state of the art and the hockey team has a secondary training room in their locker room. The behind the scenes facilities for the team are some of the best around.
        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Wooing a current Head Coach is going to be VERY difficult unless they're about to be sacked where they are. Does this program want a coach that isn't cutting it now? I hope they look at some very talented assistants that area ready for the HC job. DU will probably step up and give Gwoz a healthy raise, so good for him. Serratore is well liked in Colorado Springs, so why would he leave? His brother Tom at Bemidji State would be a great candidate, but he's got a new facility and pretty much the key to the city (OK small city but it's good to be the big dog..). Maybe Don Lucia would be willing to come here, but is that a good thing? I don't know, maybe..

There is talent out there, they just need to be willing to attack this with the thought that they need someone who can take the program, and make it a short-term AND long-term success. The right coach can take the current team and make them a top-three team in the CCHA, the talent is there. The right coach can also make this program a BTHC top team when that happens. Someone who understands that beating MI every year is VERY important to the MSU faithful and prepares accordingly. They have to be able to attract the top players because they want to play for the guy. (think Serratore type of personality)

If Hollis doesn't talk to Guentzel and Hastings at UNO then they are not stepping out to the edges. Rud at Green Bay, another example. DON'T SETTLE, GO FIND!
          "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
            The other thing is pretty much every DU home game and a lot of road games are televised locally and nationally or webcast live over the internet. That is a big recruiting tool in that parents and relatives that can't be at the games can see their kids play in the comfort of their home.
            Hmmm....we're already doing live webcasts of every game, home and away. Maybe that gives PSU an inside edge?
            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Here's a new name: Tom Anastos:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...er-tom-anastos

"A four-year hockey letter-winner at Michigan State (1981-85), Anastos has a bachelor’s degree in construction management. He was drafted by the Montreal Canadiens in 1981, and after a year in the team’s organization he became a hockey coach at the University of Michigan-Dearborn. He was head coach 1987-90, compiling a 68-37-7 record. He also was an assistant coach at Michigan State from 1990-92."
              "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
              - Mark Twain

Comment

Great interview with Comley...

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ick_comley.php

Comment

Michigan Tech will trade you Jamie Russell and staff for a new skate sharpener.

Comment

I'm not sure what it is with fans from the State of Michigan, but when it comes to your University sports teams, you're dillusional! Just like Michigan is no longer a top 5, 10 or 15 program in football, MSU is not a top 5 or 10 program in hockey. The glory days are beind you. Anyone who thinks MSU is going to go out and snag a top coach who already has a good gig with an elite program needs a reality check. Danton Cole is an MSU alum with a Stanley Cup ring.....and that's settling? He played for the NJ Devils, who until this season, have been regarded as one of the best run professional hockey organizations in the NHL in the past 15-20 years. I don't know if it's possible to learn from better teachers? He has proven he can win in the minor leagues as a head coach(go ahead, hockeydb him), was responsible for most of the limited talent BGSU was able to bring in while he was recruiting their(keep in mind he did this with almost no resources, funds or program direction) and was able to have success at UAH, even if it was modest at best. He is respected by all in the hockey community, has the credentials to attract top notch players to MSU, has in's with the USNDTP and has the track record of being a succesful head coach to back it up...so remind me, how is that settling again? Let him bring in some bright up and coming assistant coaches and re-charge the program with some youthful enthusiam and the fan base will respond and the program just might be able to battle its way back to elite status.
                    Last edited by pierre maguire; 01-27-2011, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoelessSchippa View Post
                      Michigan Tech will trade you Jamie Russell and staff for a new skate sharpener.
                      I think they'd make that deal for a used skate sharpener at this point...

Comment

Originally posted by DisplacedCornellian View Post
                        I think they'd make that deal for a used skate sharpener at this point...
                        So what your saying is we have a deal?!

Comment

throw in laces.
                          Cubbies 4 ever

Comment

Originally posted by pierre maguire View Post
                            I'm not sure what it is with fans from the State of Michigan, but when it comes to your University sports teams, you're dillusional! Just like Michigan is no longer a top 5, 10 or 15 program in football, MSU is not a top 5 or 10 program in hockey. The glory days are beind you. Anyone who thinks MSU is going to go out and snag a top coach who already has a good gig with an elite program needs a reality check. Danton Cole is an MSU alum with a Stanley Cup ring.....and that's settling? He played for the NJ Devils, who until this season, have been regarded as one of the best run professional hockey organizations in the NHL in the past 15-20 years. I don't know if it's possible to learn from better teachers? He has proven he can win in the minor leagues as a head coach(go ahead, hockeydb him), was responsible for most of the limited talent BGSU was able to bring in while he was recruiting their(keep in mind he did this with almost no resources, funds or program direction) and was able to have success at UAH, even if it was modest at best. He is respected by all in the hockey community, has the credentials to attract top notch players to MSU, has in's with the USNDTP and has the track record of being a succesful head coach to back it up...so remind me, how is that settling again? Let him bring in some bright up and coming assistant coaches and re-charge the program with some youthful enthusiam and the fan base will respond and the program just might be able to battle its way back to elite status.
                            You say this like fans in Michigan are any different than anywhere else. Fans in Minnesota are the same, as are fans in Indiana, Ohio, Alabama (ok, maybe not), etc.. When I said not to settle, what I meant was to really go out and do a thorough job of looking, and not just jump at Cole without the effort. Hey, if Danton Cole is the right solution after doing a complete job of looking, then I don't think anyone will be unhappy. If the school says to Ron Mason, "who do we hire?" and then just does that, then failure is eminent... But I digress, it's important that given a situation with a little time, then go to work and get the right fit. I said earlier that there is no way a coach that is in a good spot will jump ship just to land in East Lansing. That doesn't mean that the school has to accept a solution without researching the options.

How high is that horse anyway? Get nosebleeds up there? ;-)
                            "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

"How high is that horse anyway? Get nosebleeds up there? ;-)"

Hilarious and a great saying! I deserved it! BTW, the view from the top is pretty good! Everyone looks so small?!

Point taken!

Comment

From today's Lansing State Journal:

COLE INTERESTED: Former Spartan forward Danton Cole, considered one of the top candidates, to replace Comley said he's interested in discussing the job "when the time is right.''

"I think it's the best job in college hockey and I'm a Michigan State guy,'' said Cole, who's in his first season as the U.S. Under-17 team in Ann Arbor. "But you want to respect their team. They still have a season to play and Rick has a lot of coaching to do.

"When the time is right, I'll definitely look into it. In the meantime, I have my hands full here with our team and what we're trying to do with the kids here.''
                                Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency!

Comment

Working...
                                X