X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Now. Who is coming to East Lansing

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
    No kidding.

So what you're saying is Michigan State is receiving at least $3.5 million they didn't expect to receive when they made the budget at the beginning of the year? Hmm.

You really don't seem to understand this concept, do you?

No matter what, Michigan State was going to get 1/11th of all of the bowl money earned by the Big Ten (roughly $3.5 mill). Considering one of the two spots in the Capital One Bowl is reserved for a Big Ten team, they didn't earn any additional money by happening to be the Big Ten team to fill that slot.

You could say that they got more money by the Big Ten getting 2 teams into BCS bowl games, as opposed to just the guaranteed one. But that's only an extra $17 million ($18 million for the BCS game, minus the ~$1 million the Big Ten would get from some lesser bowl when everything trickled down), divided amongst 11 teams is ~$1.5 million. But the Big Ten gets two teams in BCS games about half the time, so it's really only $750k more than they expected.

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post

You really don't seem to understand this concept, do you?

No matter what, Michigan State was going to get 1/11th of all of the bowl money earned by the Big Ten (roughly $3.5 mill). Considering one of the two spots in the Capital One Bowl is reserved for a Big Ten team, they didn't earn any additional money by happening to be the Big Ten team to fill that slot.

You could say that they got more money by the Big Ten getting 2 teams into BCS bowl games, as opposed to just the guaranteed one. But that's only an extra $17 million ($18 million for the BCS game, minus the ~$1 million the Big Ten would get from some lesser bowl when everything trickled down), divided amongst 11 teams is ~$1.5 million. But the Big Ten gets two teams in BCS games about half the time, so it's really only $750k more than they expected.
      The Bowl Appearance means more than just a conference payout - there are the season ticket renewals, new season ticket holders, increased ancillary revenues, increased sponsor revenues and more media exposure gained by being a major bowl team. That's gotta be worth a few million in extra dough...

Comment

Originally posted by Arwen22266 View Post
        That's taking the easy way out. Yes, he got UAH to the NCAAs, but that was as the champion of a pitiful conference. He was at Bowling Green for three years before that - and we all know how successful BGSU has been. MSU is not like that school down the road - you don't have to be a "Michigan State man" to coach here. Maybe there is someone out there who doesn't have ties to MSU who could be just the right person. Give it time.
        Fearing that I might throw the guy under the bus, I'll just say that I'll be extremely disappointed if Hollis settles for Cole. I thought he really whiffed when he was at UAH after Doug Ross' departure.

Hollis needs to hit a home run here, whether he knows it or not. Cole would be a squib bunt down the third base line.
        Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
        66 - 86 - 07
        59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
        59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
          Something like it happened at Notre Dame 10 years ago when Matt Doherty replaced John McCloud as the hoops coach and then left after just one season for North Carolina. Sort of a comparable situation, as the Notre Dame basketball job was an OK gig, but in a completely different universe from the North Carolina situation. Sort of like a move from Western Michigan hockey to MSU hockey.
          I realize it does happen, but my point was it doesn't happen often--especially in college hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
            Western Michigan's Jeff Blashill might be worthy of consideration. Michigan native, played at Ferris, coached under Rico at Miami and had two successful seasons with the Indy Ice of the U prior to, thus far at least, revitalizing WMU's program.
            NO WAY! He is ours.
            B2
            It will only get better!

Comment

LOL.

Matt Doherty is hardly a name you want to fall back on to your alumni and boosters as a comparable when making a hire. He turned North Carolina basketball into a dumpster fire by his second season. The other recent "coach one year and out" name was Lane Kiffin. So, yeah.

Blashill's not a big enough name to placate the MSU fanbase, especially after coaching 26 collegiate hockey games.

If they get Gwoz, it'll be because they agreed to a list of upgrades and demands that's a few million dollars long, I'd assume. Cole is their "Brady Hoke."
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

well it's just my opinion but the list of guys out there who can come in and win more than Comley did is real short. Regardless if they are available. I agree Gwoz would be on the top, but I don't think you can get him.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                  Fearing that I might throw the guy under the bus, I'll just say that I'll be extremely disappointed if Hollis settles for Cole. I thought he really whiffed when he was at UAH after Doug Ross' departure.

Hollis needs to hit a home run here, whether he knows it or not. Cole would be a squib bunt down the third base line.
                  This.
                  http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Gwoz can gain a lot of DU contract leverage with an NCAA run this year to either the Frozen Four or at least an opening NCAA win and a close loss in the regional final.

He hasn't won an NCAA game in 5 years, and that's probably why DU isn't in a hurry to sign him to a new contract - his current deal is up in 2014.

Some DU fans think DU should just pay GG whatever he wants as a reward for his achievements and be done with it.

But this DU administration is more about pay-for-recent-performance.They gave him a top five deal back in 2005, and I'd love to see Gwoz go deep in the tourney and force DU to pay him big again.

But if he can't win NCAA games anymore, I could see DU letting him walk and bringing in a less expensive coach, especially if DU is forced to play in a crippled WCHA if Wisconsin or Minnesota are not replaced.

I think we'll know a lot in April about Gwoz' future.

Comment

• Re: Now. Who is coming to East Lansing

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                      The Bowl Appearance means more than just a conference payout - there are the season ticket renewals, new season ticket holders, increased ancillary revenues, increased sponsor revenues and more media exposure gained by being a major bowl team. That's gotta be worth a few million in extra dough...
                      Doubtful. Their average attendance this year was actually lower than last year, despite having probably their best regular season since the 1960s. Though they technically got a share of the Big Ten title, either through tiebreakers or common perception, they were a 3rd place team. And they got destroyed in their bowl game. I don't see that translating into them suddenly swimming in cash.

Comment

One name that I'm surprised that hasn't received much play is Ferris State Coach and MSU alum Bob Daniels. He's well respected. He keeps a D-II school competitive year in and year out, is a first class guy and you rarely hear of trouble in his program. I think he has to be every bit as viable a candidate as anyone else.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                          He turned North Carolina basketball into a dumpster fire by his second season.
                          That he did, but I believe Roy Williams won his first national title with stars recruited by Doherty.

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                          If they get Gwoz, it'll be because they agreed to a list of upgrades and demands that's a few million dollars long
                          A few million bucks?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                            A few million bucks?
                            Easily, I heard OSU had sticker shock when they wooed Gwoz last year. PSU has been snooping around campuses and is also shocked at what the top coaches make and demand. It will be awfully hard to hit up their big alum donor after he donated the money for the new facility to toss in several more million to get a top 5 coach and staff in place that knows winning the first few years will not be easy.
                            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

I could see it really easily as well.

If MSU offers him $500K for 5 years, you're at $2.5 there. Some upgrades of some sort at Munn could burn through another mil or two quite easily. It's not hard to get to $4 mil. So, yeah, a few million.
                              FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                                That he did, but I believe Roy Williams won his first national title with stars recruited by Doherty.

A few million bucks?
                                State's neglected the hockey program somewhat, especially when compared to Denver. Munn alone could/should get a couple million in renovations, a coach looking at playing in a future BTHC may want an on-campus Olympic sized practice rink given Wisconsin and Minnesota's arenas. I'm sure a MSU fan would have a better idea.
                                "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X