Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Now. Who is coming to East Lansing

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
    I think the job is signed, sealed and delivered to Danton Cole right now. He has program ties and he'll be dirt cheap.
    If Cole is offerred the job, he will 100% iron-clad guaranteed take it - unless the terms are insulting.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
      I think the job is signed, sealed and delivered to Danton Cole right now. He has program ties and he'll be dirt cheap.
      That's taking the easy way out. Yes, he got UAH to the NCAAs, but that was as the champion of a pitiful conference. He was at Bowling Green for three years before that - and we all know how successful BGSU has been. MSU is not like that school down the road - you don't have to be a "Michigan State man" to coach here. Maybe there is someone out there who doesn't have ties to MSU who could be just the right person. Give it time.
      "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
      - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
        Why would he ever consider coaching the club team?
        The only reasoning, and this is a severe longshot which I wouldn't think would actually happen, would be if the club members are the ones that will be on the varsity team, and the coach wants to be more familiar with the hand he/she is dealt, assuming the players' willingness to play is to be honored.

Comment

Not sure if it has been mentioned or what direction they may want to take. But I am sure that Brent Brekke at Miami will throw his hat in the ring. He has CCHA ties and will get a job shortly. This may not be the one but I think he would be a good fit. I don't want him to leave but its a matter of time until he does for a head coaching job. He is a great recruiter and will be successfull. Maybe they want a proven coach and if they do Seth Appert would be a good fit but I think they will have their pick of some really good coaches.
          Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
            I wasn't talking about donations, I was referring to the Capital One Bowl money and the unexpected attendance and season ticket increases as a result of the great football season. No one can argue that the revenue will be higher than what was budgeted.

Who knows what the Michigan State Athletic Department might do with an unexpected surplus, but it seems to me to be a unique opportunity to shore up the third or fourth highest revenue sport at the school.
            MSU doesn't get the "Capital One money." All the Big Ten (or 11 or 12) schools split all bowl monies equally. The league puts it all in a pot, deducts expenses, then all 11 current teams get an equal share. The actual payment to State will be about $3.5 million.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Western Michigan's Jeff Blashill might be worthy of consideration. Michigan native, played at Ferris, coached under Rico at Miami and had two successful seasons with the Indy Ice of the U prior to, thus far at least, revitalizing WMU's program.
              http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally I was also interested in next years freshman.
                Cubbies 4 ever

Comment

Originally posted by redhawk95 View Post
                  Western Michigan's Jeff Blashill might be worthy of consideration. Michigan native, played at Ferris, coached under Rico at Miami and had two successful seasons with the Indy Ice of the U prior to, thus far at least, revitalizing WMU's program.
                  After one year? That doesn't happen often in college athletics, nevermind college hockey.

Comment

Keith Allain would be a major coup. Dont know his contract status at Yale, but he has done a great job with a struggling program and may be ready for a move.

Comment

Originally posted by rightwing View Post
                      Keith Allain would be a major coup. Dont know his contract status at Yale, but he has done a great job with a struggling program and may be ready for a move.
                      Maybe, but he's also a Yale alum.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        After one year? That doesn't happen often in college athletics, nevermind college hockey.
                        Something like it happened at Notre Dame 10 years ago when Matt Doherty replaced John McCloud as the hoops coach and then left after just one season for North Carolina. Sort of a comparable situation, as the Notre Dame basketball job was an OK gig, but in a completely different universe from the North Carolina situation. Sort of like a move from Western Michigan hockey to MSU hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          Maybe, but he's also a Yale alum.
                          True, but money talks. If you have enough, he will move. Regardless it will take quite a bit whomever you hire.I would bet the resumes are flowing in already.
                          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                            Something like it happened at Notre Dame 10 years ago when Matt Doherty replaced John McCloud as the hoops coach and then left after just one season for North Carolina. Sort of a comparable situation, as the Notre Dame basketball job was an OK gig, but in a completely different universe from the North Carolina situation. Sort of like a move from Western Michigan hockey to MSU hockey.
                            Also Doherty was a UNC graduate.
                            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              MSU doesn't get the "Capital One money." All the Big Ten (or 11 or 12) schools split all bowl monies equally. The league puts it all in a pot, deducts expenses, then all 11 current teams get an equal share. The actual payment to State will be about $3.5 million.
                              No kidding.

So what you're saying is Michigan State is receiving at least $3.5 million they didn't expect to receive when they made the budget at the beginning of the year? Hmm.
                              Last edited by dggoddard; 01-26-2011, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                                First problem with what your saying is that the extra cash may not be allowed to go towards hockey. Many donors ear mark donations to go towards specific programs. So the successfulness of the football team probably resulted in more donations going towards the football program and nothing else.

Second problem. Just because they have money does not mean it would go towards hockey. MSU might choose to invest that extra money back into football so it can make more money in the future. They also might distribute it around that athletic department. Michigan like every state in the country has been having a ton of budget problems and has had to make cuts to higher education. MSU would probably use that extra cash to either cut aid to the Athletic department or put it in other more needy departments around the school. Hockey is low on the priority list in times like this.
                                I don't think you understand MSU. There's a reason Munn is called a morgue. Many of us that are season ticket holders have been since before Ron Mason was the head coach. We're an influential fan base that's getting disgruntled. We were here when hockey was the only game on campus. Season ticket holders alone accounted for sellouts for around 25 straight years. There's still a belief in the community that you can't get tickets to games. To not be a contender every year is no longer acceptable. Especially when the basketball and football programs are playing so well. Hollis has been under a lot of pressure. I like Comely but it's time to move on.

I believe Gwoz is the first choice, Cole is the second and it won't get any farther than that.
                                Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency!

Comment

Working...
                                X