X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Now. Who is coming to East Lansing

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    Kyle wouldn't leave NMU for MSU.
    What about for Tech? I hear they might have an opening in the not-too-distant future.

In all seriousness, unless Kyle has a serious hard-on for Wildcat Hockey, I can't imagine he wouldn't be doing cartwheels for the MSU job.

Of course it's rather moot. Hard to believe he would be made an offer.
    Last edited by Stauber1; 01-25-2011, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Re: Who is coming to East Lansing

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
      Ron Rolston has an impressive resume, being an assistant at Lake State, Clarkson, Havard, and BC, before landing in Ann Arbor with the USA Development Program. He should be a very formatable candidate!
      That's "Hahvahd" if you're going to get phonetic. And what the he11 does "formatable" mean? Seriously. Speaks you muchly English?
      bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
      SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
      All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
      A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

I think they'll go after a pretty big name. MSU Athletics is probably flush with cash right now after the great season in football so it might be the right time to spend some of dough before the bean-counters try and grab the money.

I'd even go so far to say they've already reached out and got a verbal deal done, but may have to wait to near the end of the season.
        Last edited by dggoddard; 01-25-2011, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
          What about for Tech? I hear they might have an opening in the not-too-distant future.
          There is no way, on this snow-bound earth, that Walt Kyle wants a job with his principle rival. NMU is his alma mater, and I expect he's happy there.

Comment

Should hire Jerry York!!!!!!!
            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              There is no way, on this snow-bound earth, that Walt Kyle wants a job with his principle rival. NMU is his alma mater, and I expect he's happy there.
              Guess I should have included an emoticon. Didn't really think it was necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                Guess I should have included an emoticon. Didn't really think it was necessary.
                Sorry. Apparently I've become so enamored with my own fanbases' sarcasm, everyone elses' is lost on me.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                  I think they'll go after a pretty big name. MSU Athletics is probably flush with cash right now after the great season in football so it might be the right time to spend some of dough before the bean-counters try and grab the money.
                  This is what I was thinking. You can't tell me a place like Michigan State can't/won't spend "big bucks" on a hockey coach. What qualifies as big bucks for college hockey coaches anyway? 400K?

Comment

Scott Paluch!
                    Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                      This is what I was thinking. You can't tell me a place like Michigan State can't/won't spend "big bucks" on a hockey coach. What qualifies as big bucks for college hockey coaches anyway? 400K?
                      With Comley making a neat and tidy exit without the rancor and money tied up in a 3-year contract, I'm sure Hollis sees this as time to open the checkbook.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post

I'd even go so far to say they've already reached out and got a verbal deal done, but may have to wait to near the end of the season.
                        First problem with what your saying is that the extra cash may not be allowed to go towards hockey. Many donors ear mark donations to go towards specific programs. So the successfulness of the football team probably resulted in more donations going towards the football program and nothing else.

Second problem. Just because they have money does not mean it would go towards hockey. MSU might choose to invest that extra money back into football so it can make more money in the future. They also might distribute it around that athletic department. Michigan like every state in the country has been having a ton of budget problems and has had to make cuts to higher education. MSU would probably use that extra cash to either cut aid to the Athletic department or put it in other more needy departments around the school. Hockey is low on the priority list in times like this.

Comment

Originally posted by CHFAN222 View Post
                          First problem with what your saying is that the extra cash may not be allowed to go towards hockey. Many donors ear mark donations to go towards specific programs. So the successfulness of the football team probably resulted in more donations going towards the football program and nothing else.

Second problem. Just because they have money does not mean it would go towards hockey. MSU might choose to invest that extra money back into football so it can make more money in the future. They also might distribute it around that athletic department. Michigan like every state in the country has been having a ton of budget problems and has had to make cuts to higher education. MSU would probably use that extra cash to either cut aid to the Athletic department or put it in other more needy departments around the school. Hockey is low on the priority list in times like this.
                          Actually, with everything I'm reading, a (as some see it) legendary college hockey coach's hand was forced. To me this says the athletic powers at MSU are looking to make a modestly $eriou$ move.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                            Case in point, there's an old saying around here: "Izzo is king."

East Lansing is a basketball haven, and hoops is the well-established "primary" sport.

Football's been coming back. Whereas basketball would have been the number one sport and football number two five years ago, it's more of a one and one-A relationship now. Hockey, in the meantime, has been getting pushed further and further out of the MSU fan consciousness since the mid-2000s.
                            All things considered, women's basketball may replace men's hoops in popularity, especially after tonight's breaking news about Korie Lucious. But let's face it, there are people who never forgave Ron Mason for retiring to accept the AD's job, and who never accepted Comley as Mason's hand-picked successor. Couple that with a number of bad years, and of course everyone but the most dedicated fans will drift away.

Look, I'm as dedicated as they come, but I don't like the fact that we've had to sell our CCHA finals tickets three of the last four years. I don't like looking up at the CCHA regular-season title banner and seeing the latest date on it is 2000-01. When the team has been good - the OT win over UM, for example - it's the best feeling in the world. When it's not, it's indescribable. And I know things won't change overnight. I just wish it had ended some other way.
                            "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
                            - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Arwen22266 View Post
                              All things considered, women's basketball may replace men's hoops in popularity, especially after tonight's breaking news about Korie Lucious.
                              Well, yeah. They had a really good draw for that nothing game on Sunday against Minnesota.

That said, you know it's lean times when women's basketball and men's tennis are the only two sports on this campus worth watching right now.
                              Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                              66 - 86 - 07
                              59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                              59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                                Hockey is the flagship, revenue sport at Denver that makes $2-3 million a year for the University. There is no football team, and Gwoz was in the top 5 national coaches' salaries at his last contract in 2005. Denver is a private school that raised $75 million for an arena 10 years ago, and if they want Gwoz to stay, they'll find the money to keep him here. Denver has invested a lot to make that program a national contender, and given the geographic setting, the relative lack of media pressure, and the lack of a big time football program hogging resources, it's a great place to live and coach. Big 10 programs have resources, but are constrained by the mammoth ahletic beasts that must be fed. Hockey can get lost in that shuffle.
                                Gwoz would only go if they promised a booster seat for him on the bench.
                                License to kill gofers...From the government of the United Nations. - Carl Spackler, Caddyshack

Comment

Working...
                                X