• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Now. Who is coming to East Lansing

Pinch me.

Seriously, I'm ready for a bender.

Comment

Would Michigan State grad Jeff Jackson be interested in returning his alma mater to glory???

I too was thinking Gwozdecky (even though he's a Wisconsin guy) and Appert. Appert played at Ferris, so there's a little familiarity.

Comment

Whitehead....please!!!!

Comment

Who is coming to East Lansing

Ron Rolston has an impressive resume, being an assistant at Lake State, Clarkson, Havard, and BC, before landing in Ann Arbor with the USA Development Program. He should be a very formatable candidate!

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
            Would Michigan State grad Jeff Jackson be interested in returning his alma mater to glory???

I too was thinking Gwozdecky (even though he's a Wisconsin guy) and Appert. Appert played at Ferris, so there's a little familiarity.
            One thing to remember is that Coach Appert has a contract at RPI until 2014, whereas State is looking for a coach right away. I don't know if they would be willing to buy out a contract or not.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              One thing to remember is that Coach Appert has a contract at RPI until 2014, whereas State is looking for a coach right away. I don't know if they would be willing to buy out a contract or not.
              Well, how much would that buyout be? Peanuts to a huge Big Ten school like MSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                One thought would be Gwozdecky. I know there have been a lot of grumblings about his contract, and he has MSU roots. I'm not saying that it will happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if Gwoz wound up in East Lansing.
                Hollis wouldn't pay Gwoz half of what he's getting at DU. Not happening.
                Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                66 - 86 - 07
                59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post

Jackson's still really bitter about not getting the MSU job back when Mason retired.

If given the option, I'm sure Jackson would opt to blow up Munn, set fire to the rubble, and put out the glowing embers and ashes with his own urine.
                  66 - 86 - 07
                  59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Comment

Will MSU even be willing to shell out top dollar to a coach? I mean Hockey is not one of the big non football sport at MSU as it can be argued it is at Minnesota, Michigan, and maybe Wisconsin, and probably will be at Penn State since their bball program is so horrendous. It does not make as much money as Bball so why do people think they will make a crazy offer that a non B10 but big hockey supporting school can't match easily?

Comment

Any junior coaches of note who are available or one of his assistants?
                      Cubbies 4 ever

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        I hear Jamie Russell will be looking for a job soon. *****http://www.customsims3.com/smf/Smileys/default/EvilLaugh.gif******
                        Beat me to it!
                        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Also, if Comley has anything to do with this hire, either NMU's Walt Kyle or UAA's Dave Shyiak will be the next MSU head coach.
                          66 - 86 - 07

Comment

Re: Who is coming to East Lansing

Originally posted by FRICKER View Post
                            Ron Rolston has an impressive resume, being an assistant at Lake State, Clarkson, Havard, and BC, before landing in Ann Arbor with the USA Development Program. He should be a very formatable candidate!
                            He can be formatted?

Comment

Allow me to blatantly copy and paste...

The name I'm hearing quite a bit is Danton Cole, the current coach at tNTDP. I still think this would not be a good hire. The guy took the reigns of a progressing Alabama-Huntsville in a poor yet winnable College Hockey America and had some pretty significant problems. I find this very concerning.

I'd like to see us to take a run at Frank Serratore at Air Force. He struggled at DU, but he's done wonders at Air Force. He gets the absolute most out of his limited talent and limited resources, and nearly made the Frozen Four a couple of years ago. He has great energy, a great zeal for hockey, his teams play a very up-tempo style, and this community would fall in love with him.

Dave Burkholder of Niagara and Rick Gotkin of Mercyhurst are two other options, and both have done marginally well. That said, these two have far too low of a profile to coach at Michigan State, and neither has state of Michigan ties to my knowledge. Derek Schooley at Robert Morris is a slightly better choice and has Michigan ties, but I don't see him at MSU.

If we want to "keep it in the family," Bob Daniels is perhaps the best option. He's kind of old, but he's done well (however, not great) at Ferris. If this university falls in love with the "family" option, Daniels is perhaps the best available.

I'd like Newell Brown, too. He was a former assistant under Mason during the late 80s, and coached at Michigan Tech for two seasons. He didn't do that well at Tech, but nobody has done well at that job since, well, a long while. His professional coaching career is pretty solid, however: Four winning seasons as the head coach of the Adirondack Red Wings of the AHL, and an extensive career as an assistant with the Ducks, Blackhawks, and Blue Jackets. Of those available, Newell has the best experience, but I don't know if he'd want to come back to college hockey.

Keith Allain at Yale would be a massive home run. I'd think he'd be pretty affordable, too. That said, he has no state of Michigan ties.

George Gwozdecky, Enrico Blasi, and Jeff Jackson are total pipe-dreams and aren't happening. All three would be too expensive, and all three would be taking major steps backward if they wanted to come from their current employer to Michigan State. Also, if given the option, I'm pretty sure Jeff Jackson would love to nuke Munn Ice Arena and the city of East Lansing.
                              66 - 86 - 07

Comment

If they're willing to hold out for a while they might be able to get Don Lucia.
                                The question then would be: does Hill go with him?

Would also make for some interesting times if the BTHC becomes a reality.

I also wonder how contentious that hire would be among Spartan faithful. Lucia likely has lost a lot of credibility in the eyes of college hockey fans who have been paying attention; but there is no question he at least has the ability to be a great coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X