Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Now. Who is coming to East Lansing

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
    One of the papers reports that Mason has had quite a bit of contact with Hollis on this decision. He also picked Comley to replace him, so should he have that much say?
    While I respect Ron Mason as one of the finest coaches in college hockey history, I sincerely hope he has little impact on the decision. In the nearly 10 years since Coach Mason retired, many things about the game have changed - the kids have changed too! Michigan State needs someone young, someone who has been a successful assistant somewhere, someone like a Jeff Blashill who could come in and tell his team that while he understands there is an MSU tradition, new traditions have to be made. Someone who can get more out of his players than they thought they had, someone who can tell his players there are no expectations other than to work hard and let the rest take care of itself. Guys coming out of Miami seem to do well - what about the one behind the bench for them last night? Assuming he was a senior in 1994 - when he was the team captain - he's all of 40. MSU needs someone like that, who doesn't have to have any ties to the university - they need someone who can come in and who can convey to his players that they have what it takes to return the program to where it has been and could be again.

OK, rant over ...
    "It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
    - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Arwen22266 View Post
      While I respect Ron Mason as one of the finest coaches in college hockey history, I sincerely hope he has little impact on the decision. In the nearly 10 years since Coach Mason retired, many things about the game have changed - the kids have changed too! Michigan State needs someone young, someone who has been a successful assistant somewhere, someone like a Jeff Blashill who could come in and tell his team that while he understands there is an MSU tradition, new traditions have to be made. Someone who can get more out of his players than they thought they had, someone who can tell his players there are no expectations other than to work hard and let the rest take care of itself. Guys coming out of Miami seem to do well - what about the one behind the bench for them last night? Assuming he was a senior in 1994 - when he was the team captain - he's all of 40. MSU needs someone like that, who doesn't have to have any ties to the university - they need someone who can come in and who can convey to his players that they have what it takes to return the program to where it has been and could be again.

OK, rant over ...
      Arwen, exactly what I wanted to have someone say. You know, sometimes when someone is successful at something, they don't really know why. To ask someone to pick their replacement, they may not really see the traits that made them winners but they "think" they do so they pick someone that isn't the right fit. A CEO shouldn't necessarily pick their successor any more than a coach should pick his.
      "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

Originally posted by Nevergoodenough View Post
        One of the papers reports that Mason has had quite a bit of contact with Hollis on this decision. He also picked Comley to replace him, so should he have that much say?
        Hollis isn't shy about approaching this from every angle, up to and including discussing the possibility with Steve Yzerman.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83
          interesting to note that all three were head coaches at up schools before going to state. Bessone at michigan tech, mason at lake superior state and comley at lssu and northern michigan.
          So you're saying they're going to hire Jamie Russell?
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Has Gwoz called today?

Comment

WILX is saying Danton Cole will likely be named the new head hockey coach. Press conference at Munn at 4:00p today.
              Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
              66 - 86 - 07
              59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
              59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Think of this as a safe choice - considering what time of year this is - and probably something he's wanted for a long time. Now imagine how he can impart his passion for Spartan hockey not only for those already in the program but for those who are considering it. For those who dwell on previous college hockey wins & losses: Not to in any way put down UAH, but it's probably easier to share a vision with recruits of what's so great about your alma mater - and had a long string of highly successful seasons - than one about a program that doesn't have a ton of success at D-1 yet.

I'll blindly trust that Hollis looked at many candidates, and that some of those rumored high-profile options did not show enough interest or where constrained by their current circumstances to warrant pursuing them further.

Comment

INCH is reporting that Tom Anastos will be the new head coach at MSU...not sure whats going on with the dueling reports.
                  Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                  1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                  2006-2007: 15-24-2
                  2007-2008: 20-20-4
                  2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Originally posted by NMU8405 View Post
                    INCH is reporting that Tom Anastos will be the new head coach at MSU...not sure whats going on with the dueling reports.
                    I somehow trust a local news outlet. Anastos is intruiging, but asst. coach / player ties to MSU and a short DII coaching career somehow don't equate.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                      I somehow trust a local news outlet. Anastos is intruiging, but asst. coach / player ties to MSU and a short DII coaching career somehow don't equate.
                      According to INCH's Twitter, WLIX is also confirming that Anastos to MSU is done. But, its INCH...take it with a grain of salt. Its partnered with ESPN.

jeremy sampson of WLIX confirms that Anastos will be head coach saying that this "came out of left field."

If anyone down there in Lansing has any information, feel free.
                      Last edited by NMU8405; 03-23-2011, 12:06 PM.
                      Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                      1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                      1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                      2006-2007: 15-24-2
                      2007-2008: 20-20-4
                      2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

Well after I said all that flowery stuff, look who's coming to East Lansing.
                        http://www.wil*****/sports/headlines...118512149.html

I find it interesting because although a guy in his position wouldn't say so publicly, behind the scenes he was quite critical of Comley's tenure.

Comment

Huh, am I too late for the obvious "Walt Kyle to take over for Comley" rumor?

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Its Anastos

http://detroit.sbnation.com/2011/3/2...os-danton-cole

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                              Huh, am I too late for the obvious "Walt Kyle to take over for Comley" rumor?

Yes, but there's always the "Rick Comley to be CCHA Commissioner" rumor.

"The game of hockey, though much in vogue on the ice in New England and other parts of the United States, is not much known here."

--The Montreal Gazette, March 4, 1875.

Comment

The only thing I can come up with is ...
                                wow.

Comment

Working...
                                X