PDA

View Full Version : Now. Who is coming to East Lansing

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

aallenpollreisz
03-23-2011, 09:44 AM
WILX is saying Danton Cole will likely be named the new head hockey coach. Press conference at Munn at 4:00p today.

owslachief
03-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Think of this as a safe choice - considering what time of year this is - and probably something he's wanted for a long time. Now imagine how he can impart his passion for Spartan hockey not only for those already in the program but for those who are considering it. For those who dwell on previous college hockey wins & losses: Not to in any way put down UAH, but it's probably easier to share a vision with recruits of what's so great about your alma mater - and had a long string of highly successful seasons - than one about a program that doesn't have a ton of success at D-1 yet.

I'll blindly trust that Hollis looked at many candidates, and that some of those rumored high-profile options did not show enough interest or where constrained by their current circumstances to warrant pursuing them further.

NMU8405
03-23-2011, 11:51 AM
INCH is reporting that Tom Anastos will be the new head coach at MSU...not sure whats going on with the dueling reports.

owslachief
03-23-2011, 11:57 AM
INCH is reporting that Tom Anastos will be the new head coach at MSU...not sure whats going on with the dueling reports.

I somehow trust a local news outlet. Anastos is intruiging, but asst. coach / player ties to MSU and a short DII coaching career somehow don't equate.

NMU8405
03-23-2011, 12:02 PM
I somehow trust a local news outlet. Anastos is intruiging, but asst. coach / player ties to MSU and a short DII coaching career somehow don't equate.

According to INCH's Twitter, WLIX is also confirming that Anastos to MSU is done. But, its INCH...take it with a grain of salt. Its partnered with ESPN.

jeremy sampson of WLIX confirms that Anastos will be head coach saying that this "came out of left field."

If anyone down there in Lansing has any information, feel free.

owslachief
03-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Well after I said all that flowery stuff, look who's coming to East Lansing.
http://www.wilx.com/sports/headlines/In_The_End_Anastos_Gets_the_Nod_118512149.html

I find it interesting because although a guy in his position wouldn't say so publicly, behind the scenes he was quite critical of Comley's tenure.

aparch
03-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Huh, am I too late for the obvious "Walt Kyle to take over for Comley" rumor?

;)

dggoddard
03-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Its Anastos

http://detroit.sbnation.com/2011/3/23/2067676/michigan-state-hockey-coach-tom-anastos-danton-cole

Alton
03-23-2011, 12:19 PM

;)

Yes, but there's always the "Rick Comley to be CCHA Commissioner" rumor.

owslachief
03-23-2011, 12:19 PM
The only thing I can come up with is ...
wow.

pinch
03-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Wow..too

owslachief
03-23-2011, 12:21 PM

;)

Not at all - when you consider how plausible this alternate reality we're now confronted with is.

Nevergoodenough
03-23-2011, 12:22 PM
The only thing I can come up with is ...
wow.

All I can say is ...
?.

Could it really be true?

aparch
03-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Yes, but there's always the "Rick Comley to be CCHA Commissioner" rumor.

Already ahead of you on that one! :D

Arwen22266
03-23-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm willing to give Anastos the benefit of the doubt, but I am not impressed at all. It appears to be true, if a Twitter post from the director of the MSU Alumni Association carries any weight. Here's the thing - guy's been CCHA commissioner for 13 years, so maybe he knows a little about how the game has changed in that time. But how does that translate to coaching? He hasn't been a coach of any kind at a collegiate level for what, 20 years? How is he going to know about motivating and leading players, and how to reach individual players? Is this about rescuing a loyal Spartan because he's not going to have much of a conference to lead in a couple of years? Most of all, how does this hire help MSU get back to where it has been as a program?

I'm going to trust that Mark Hollis has done his due diligence, and that he looked around the country at various assistant coaches who were young and who could have come in and energized things. If not - and if this is about loyalty - then forget it.

fangers
03-23-2011, 12:37 PM
All I can say is ...
?.

Could it really be true?

Guess Anastos could be in town as CCHA commish - MSU still in the CCHA - and some MSU staffer, tired of hounding by the press about Cole being the next coach, gives flippant response "no, it's Anastos". Press sees Anastos in town, assumes it must be true. lol

No more out of left field than Anastos actually being named the coach, eh?

Nevergoodenough
03-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Guess Anastos could be in town as CCHA commish - MSU still in the CCHA - and some MSU staffer, tired of hounding by the press about Cole being the next coach, gives flippant response "no, it's Anastos". Press sees Anastos in town, assumes it must be true. lol

No more out of left field than Anastos actually being named the coach, eh?

I like it... the grassy knoll approach.

owslachief
03-23-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm willing to give Anastos the benefit of the doubt, but I am not impressed at all. It appears to be true, if a Twitter post from the director of the MSU Alumni Association carries any weight. Here's the thing - guy's been CCHA commissioner for 13 years, so maybe he knows a little about how the game has changed in that time. But how does that translate to coaching? He hasn't been a coach of any kind at a collegiate level for what, 20 years? How is he going to know about motivating and leading players, and how to reach individual players? Is this about rescuing a loyal Spartan because he's not going to have much of a conference to lead in a couple of years? Most of all, how does this hire help MSU get back to where it has been as a program?

I'm going to trust that Mark Hollis has done his due diligence, and that he looked around the country at various assistant coaches who were young and who could have come in and energized things. If not - and if this is about loyalty - then forget it.

My every instinct screams "this guy gets sent packing in no more than two years."
I'm trying to wrap my mind around how this can be a good, long-term hire - given a whole host of issues.
BTW - I like the "diversion" theory, fangers.

fangers
03-23-2011, 12:51 PM
BTW - I like the "diversion" theory, fangers.

Well, it does have more people talking/thinking about MSU hockey then might have otherwise (with a widely assumed person named coach)

MOJO
03-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Gotta question his motivation for taking the job. Obviously he has been a decent adminstrator but having been away from the bench for so long and with questionable experience at that it is quite confusing...:confused: I could understand if he took an AD job but to me this is laughable with so many qualified candidates waiting in the wings. :D