Clear All

Re: ECAC the half way point

player of year should be chase polacek no matter what
    I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
      player of year should be chase polacek no matter what
      Why? My vote goes to Jack Maclellan, who has 5 less points in 5 less games and .11 more points per game than Polacek. Polacek has a bunch of players who were top-tier recruits surrounding him and giving him support, while Maclellan has almost single-handedly carried Brown's offense this year. He plays on the first line, PP, PK, and at various points throughout the game when Whittet feels the team needs a boost (which is usually often).

I don't mean to take anything away from Chase, who is certainly a remarkable player and has had a fabulous year but I can't help but question your "no matter what" insinuation. I feel as though Jack Mac deserves similar recognition and consideration, if not more, for his contributions on an undeniably less talented team.

Comment

One thing you always have to watch for is the difference between reputation and reality when it comes to how well people play. Take the two Yale forwards mentioned on Allnightwong's very thorough post: He has Little as 1st-team and Kearney as 2nd-team. In reality, Chris Cahill is 8-11-19 (leading the league in goals and points in only 11 games), and Andrew Miller is 3-12-15 (1st in assists and 3rd in points), whereas Little and Kearney are 6-6-12 and 3-5-8, respectively. Few would argue the value of Little and Kearney, and I understand the natural inclination to award guys who are seniors and have been doing so much for so long, but right now Cahill and Miller are the Yale forwards most deserving of the accolades.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDEli View Post
          One thing you always have to watch for is the difference between reputation and reality when it comes to how well people play. Take the two Yale forwards mentioned on Allnightwong's very thorough post: He has Little as 1st-team and Kearney as 2nd-team. In reality, Chris Cahill is 8-11-19 (leading the league in goals and points in only 11 games), and Andrew Miller is 3-12-15 (1st in assists and 3rd in points), whereas Little and Kearney are 6-6-12 and 3-5-8, respectively. Few would argue the value of Little and Kearney, and I understand the natural inclination to award guys who are seniors and have been doing so much for so long, but right now Cahill and Miller are the Yale forwards most deserving of the accolades.
          I totally get your point and it's real tough when it comes to Yale, cause conceivably you can fill a whole All League team with their roster. When it came to my decision, which is meaningless, Little was a shoe in because with the exception of Polacek, no other player is as talented. If that is not translating onto the scoresheet in league play, oh well. He scares opponents each and every night. Not to mention he leads Miller and Cahill in total points with 13 G, 14 A in 19 games. Miller is an assist machine and Cahill is having a monster year too, but Denny Kearney has an intimidation factor going as well. I did take their whole point totals into consideration and not simply their league totals. When it comes down to it any of the four could be on there. As a QU fan I picked the two that I've been most impressed with. Stats don't always tell the story. They're stacked top to bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
            Why? My vote goes to Jack Maclellan, who has 5 less points in 5 less games and .11 more points per game than Polacek. Polacek has a bunch of players who were top-tier recruits surrounding him and giving him support, while Maclellan has almost single-handedly carried Brown's offense this year. He plays on the first line, PP, PK, and at various points throughout the game when Whittet feels the team needs a boost (which is usually often).

I don't mean to take anything away from Chase, who is certainly a remarkable player and has had a fabulous year but I can't help but question your "no matter what" insinuation. I feel as though Jack Mac deserves similar recognition and consideration, if not more, for his contributions on an undeniably less talented team.
            Chase has 2 more points in the ECAC in the same number of games. He also has 3 GWG vs. 0 for Jack. This is the all ECAC team, not the All American team.

That said, I agree with the premise of not calling this thing before it's all done. Certainly that illegal player Cahill looks pretty good too. Of course if Chase was allowed to go rest for a year and get paid for playing and eating Brie who knows how many points he might have now!

Comment

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
              I totally get your point and it's real tough when it comes to Yale, cause conceivably you can fill a whole All League team with their roster. When it came to my decision, which is meaningless, Little was a shoe in because with the exception of Polacek, no other player is as talented. If that is not translating onto the scoresheet in league play, oh well. He scares opponents each and every night. Not to mention he leads Miller and Cahill in total points with 13 G, 14 A in 19 games. Miller is an assist machine and Cahill is having a monster year too, but Denny Kearney has an intimidation factor going as well. I did take their whole point totals into consideration and not simply their league totals. When it comes down to it any of the four could be on there. As a QU fan I picked the two that I've been most impressed with. Stats don't always tell the story. They're stacked top to bottom.
              I think that's a fair counterpoint... I have only seen them play on TV/online this year, and in those games I do think Little and Kearney looked better than their ECAC stats would indicate, and the "straw that stirs the drink" factor is one that can't always be measured. And one can certainly argue that Cahill and Miller lead the ECAC in goals and assists respectively because of one another, which maybe hurts their shot at All-League honors.

Comment

I know that I am being a homer, but Danny Biega (Sophnore D at Harvard) has to be a first teamer at this point:

1) 3rd leading scorer on team with 12 pts (3-9-12) in 18 games played
                2) He is +1 (He is one of only 2 players on the team with a + next to his name, not to mention the team has been outscored 57-32)

Comment

You can also argue that Cahill and Miller benefit greatly from teams choosing to match their best defensive lines against Yale's Little line. I don't know if that's actually the case, but it's a possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by bothman View Post
                    I know that I am being a homer, but Danny Biega (Sophnore D at Harvard) has to be a first teamer at this point:

1) 3rd leading scorer on team with 12 pts (3-9-12) in 18 games played
                    2) He is +1 (He is one of only 2 players on the team with a + next to his name, not to mention the team has been outscored 57-32)
                    Seriously? Sorry, but 12 points in 18 games isn't even impressive. And I'm a Brown fan; my team wrote the book(s) on offensive futility.

I wouldn't even give that honorable mention at this point. Nothing against Biega himself, but those stats aren't worthy of any accolades.

Comment

ECAC Defensman Scoring (from collegehockeystats.com)

1 Nick Bailen Rensselaer SO D 12 1.17 5- 9-14
                      2 Danny Biega Harvard SO D 13 0.85 3- 8-11

2nd highest scoring D man in the conference, in conference play. You could easily make this argument.

Comment

Originally posted by StayPuftMMcu View Post
                        ECAC Defensman Scoring (from collegehockeystats.com)

1 Nick Bailen Rensselaer SO D 12 1.17 5- 9-14
                        2 Danny Biega Harvard SO D 13 0.85 3- 8-11

2nd highest scoring D man in the conference, in conference play. You could easily make this argument.
                        Ah, I overlooked the fact that he was a defenseman (undoubtedly due to my irrational hatred of all things Harvard ). I'd say he has a solid case then.

Comment

Ah, I overlooked the fact that he was a defenseman (undoubtedly due to my irrational hatred of all things Harvard ). I'd say he has a solid case then.
                          Or maybe you just thought he was talking about his brother Michael, who is a forward
                          RPI Engineers
                          1954, 1985 NCAA Champions

New Jersey Devils
                          1995, 2000, 2003 Stanley Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by RPIHFH View Post
                            Or maybe you just thought he was talking about his brother Michael, who is a forward
                            Danny Biega with the hatrick tonight.

Comment

Chase is having ANOTHER fabulous year, following his fabulous year last season (Hobey finalist). UPDATE: MacLellan 0'fer vs. Chase and RPI tonight. Polacek: 1G, 1A
                              ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                              X