Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010-2011 IV: We Still Have Allen York. Sorry, Everyone!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-2011 IV: We Still Have Allen York. Sorry, Everyone!

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    If anyone can verify this encounter, then Stewart needs to be shown the door. And for the record, my opinion has nothing to do with this weekend's RPI losses. (They have no one to blame but themselves for losing either of those games, IMO.)

As for Stewart, I've been a proponent of giving this guy time for his changes to impact officiating. I'm a patient man, but alas its run out. The results are in and the on-ice product has taken a BIG step backward. To the point where linesmen are absolutely incapable of conducting clean face-offs or making correct, timely off-sides calls.

Add in that Stewart has the maturity and temperament of a 2 yr. old whose Ritalin Rx ran out ...and I've had my fill. Time for him to retake his spot at the end of the bar back in Southie...and he can take Atlantic City Steve with him. My two cents.
    I totally agree with everything you said. We certainly had every opportunity to win both games. The referees were not the cause of our losses.
    That said, the referees were awful. And the linesmen may be the worst of all the officials. Dropping the puck and calling off sides is not the toughest job in the world. And the new icing rule is going to get someone killed the way the linesmen call it. They blow the whistle too late in most instances giving the players little time to pull up. And if it is close, they don't blow the whistle at all, allowing for extreme collisions. They need to get that right before someone gets seriously injured. I didn't like the rule when it was put in, and I like it even less now that I have seen how it is being called.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
      The groundbreaking and always controversial WaP twitter page is reporting the following as of an hour ago:

"We've been in communication with @Jason_Klump about his encounters with Commissioner Hagwell & Paul Stewart. His side of the story tomorrow."

Let's hope that this thing doesn't get whitewashed. I knew that Tom and GR would get to bottom of this whole episode.
      The story is now up on http://www.withoutapeer.com/

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
        The story is now up on http://www.withoutapeer.com/
        Most interesting.

BTW, it's probably been said before, but does anyone know where Klump's allegiance is? Did he go to any of the ECAC schools?
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Most interesting.

BTW, it's probably been said before, but does anyone know where Klump's allegiance is? Did he go to any of the ECAC schools?
          He attended Wisconsin and Quinnipiac and was a long-time Yale season-ticket holder. His father is an RPI alum.
          Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by realet View Post
            He attended Wisconsin and Quinnipiac and was a long-time Yale season-ticket holder. His father is an RPI alum.
            That's good. That means that he has a wide range of very relevant experience to base his report on, even if he didn't cover the Olympics.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
              Sure looks that way on the replay-but where was everyone from RPI? There was one back against 3 Colgate players and you just cannot do that in OT. Where was the other defenseman?
              With all due respect DrD the location of the RPI players does not matter if the play was offside.
              "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Kudos to Tom and GR for having the courage to run this story. Great work gentlemen. Hard hitting and groundbreaking.
                "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                  Kudos to Tom and GR for having the courage to run this story. Great work gentlemen. Hard hitting and groundbreaking.
                  I'm glad the story is run, however unless there are other schools that are seeing this issue and are also willing to speak out, I fear the issue may not go anywhere and instead be dismissed as us shifting the blame to others because of a disbelief towards losing games. Obviously some of the Union-based press (at least from the standpoint of their radio announcers) was in agreement with us on the November 12th incident, and were willing to voice this opinion on Mr. Wyland's weekly college hockey segment of his radio show. I know there have been times where other teams felt they have been hosed by officials, but I don't follow other press well enough to know if there was anything brought to that attention. The RPI/Cornell playoff series from 2009 comes to mind where there was press involved, and included suspension of a coach.

Comment

This little nugget I found from the Sporting News from 94 that polled players on the referees. Yes, Paul Stewart made the list as one of the worst. Hey Paul stop throwing around your street cred when your peers weren't too high on your performance. Nobody likes a bully.

"We are still waiting to see which players will be in the finals, but you can bet that referee Andy van Hellemond will be there for the most important games. He is the Wayne Gretzky of NHL referee. No one else is close. We know because we took a poll of players, coaches and general managers.

Eleven of the 20 people polled named vanHellemond the best refere. Kerry Fraser got two votes and Rob Shick and Terry Gregson got one vote each.

The other five people polled said, "They're all bad."

Ron Hoggarth got 10 votes as the league's worst referee. Denis Morel received five votes and Paul Stewart and Richard Trottier got two each. One said,"They're bad."

Source http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...7/ai_15278647/

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                      Where was the other defenseman?
                      It was another JFK mistake, actually. He pinched on the blue line to keep the puck in. He was on the North-side boards, so I didn't get a good look at the play, but to me, it looked like a situation where if he kept the puck in, then it was a great pinch, but if he missed it, then it was a terrible decision. Unfortunately, it was the latter.
                      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                        I'm glad the story is run, however unless there are other schools that are seeing this issue and are also willing to speak out, I fear the issue may not go anywhere and instead be dismissed as us shifting the blame to others because of a disbelief towards losing games. Obviously some of the Union-based press (at least from the standpoint of their radio announcers) was in agreement with us on the November 12th incident, and were willing to voice this opinion on Mr. Wyland's weekly college hockey segment of his radio show. I know there have been times where other teams felt they have been hosed by officials, but I don't follow other press well enough to know if there was anything brought to that attention. The RPI/Cornell playoff series from 2009 comes to mind where there was press involved, and included suspension of a coach.
                        We're not letting this go away!!!! shagwell@ecac.com

Comment

I think the league should strongly consider giving teams 1 point for OT Loss.
                          Paul Stewart should be penalized somehow... not sure what
                          - jfk is fine.... 100 %
                          - we havent been 100 % healthy since November.
                          - with bergin and york we are just a different team
                          - i hope one bad weekend doesnt cost us AC and NCAA bid

cornell plays dartmouth this weekend who shall we root for?
                          I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

I agree with that. SA is not going to win this or most any league battle on his own. As far as leaving for another league, I suspect that HEA option has closed and going to the AHA shouldn't be considered for one second. One thing that could happen, and would be worth watching, although it is probably impractical, is that if the BTHC causes the CCHA to explode, the 4 Liberty League teams, with or without Colgate, might consider alligning with some of the remnants, namely those in Ohio.
                            The HEA option MAY open up if there is a 12th team willing to join, as they have noted several times they'd love to go to 12 teams and have a schedule similar to the ECAC non-ivies. Also, remember that HEA has a 5,000 capacity minimum (there were a few schools grandfathered, though). We would have to allow standing room along the ends to get back up to that number.

Comment

That's good. That means that he has a wide range of very relevant experience to base his report on, even if he didn't cover the Olympics.
                              Very interesting story. I like Paul Stewart and thought that his appointment as head of officials by the ECAC would bring some credibility and some improvement in the consistency if not the overall quality. That has not happened. It appears that Stewart is mainly an apologist for the officials; at least in public. We don�t know what goes on behind closed doors after games. There may be reprimands and reassignments and demotions, but those are never made public and that�s okay. There are actions and patterns such as pulling officials from certain assignments that, if taken, could provide some insight. For instance, why was Bryan Hicks allowed to work several more RPI games after the incident at Union. His latest, the Harvard game was a disgrace. Harvard had something like a 9-1 power play advantage in a pretty tame game.

Mr. Stewart�s public defense of his referees after the RPI-Cornell game is laudable, but in private he should be watching the tape of that game with them and questioning several calls, including the two Brutlag penalties and the Foss call. The call on the hit from behind on Kennedy was also a game misconduct, not a DQ for a vicious hit that clearly injured RPI�s captain and senior leader. The interference call against RPI on the play where Merriam was decked may have been justified, but I have not seen the replay.

Two points need to be made:
                              1. These two referees are two of the better officials in the league, but there were certainly some strange calls in this game.
                              2. The officials did not cost RPI the game.
                              Kotyra and Feola usually do a pretty good job, but not that night. There is also clearly a double standard in this league. The Cornell coach, much like Bill Cleary when he was at Harvard, can whine and complain and then the officials will seemingly bend over backwards to get him off their backs. Other coaches just get more penalties called against their team.

The first interference call against Brutlag looked more like the Cornell player trying to push him offside and Brutlag standing his ground. It should have been an offside call or an interference call against Cornell. The interference call against Brutlag in OT was a disgrace. It happened at center ice. Feola was 100 feet away behind the Cornell goal and screened by Brutlag. The Cornell player brushed Brutlag and took a dive. It should have been a no call, but any penalty should have been against Cornell for diving.

As for leaving the ECAC; I don�t see that happening. I think RPI likes being in the ECAC and likes being associated with the Ivies. If it were simply a hockey decision, RPI would�ve gone to HE years ago. There are other factors involved. I was letting off steam when I said that the AD should use that big stick in any discussion with the league. The only hope for RPI Hockey fans is that when the Big 10 forms a league in 4 or 5 years, that it will create a ripple effect that makes a move by RPI to some other league desirable.

Comment

I like the fact that they ran the story/opinion piece. I fail to see how it took courage. Hard-hitting and ground breaking? Woodward and Bernstein were hard-hitting and ground breaking. this is good stuff, especially for a fan blog, but let's not go overboard. It ain't the NY Times.

Comment

Working...
                                X