Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010-2011 IV: We Still Have Allen York. Sorry, Everyone!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    I dont think we were number 1 until the end of the year-I think Michigan State was number one for most of the year-but my memory is clouded by a lot of medication today.
    Not us our opponent
    I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Re: RPI 2010-2011 IV: We Still Have Allen York. Sorry, Everyone!

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
      I noticed a little extra black piece of fabric poking out from under his shirt. My assumption is that this was his throat guard.

I got bored today and wandered through the RPI hockey media guide and saw that in Powers' 5 seasons as head coach, he finished in the top 4 every year but 91-92. Does anyone remember a reason or at least have some kind of explanation for the relatively terrible season in the midst of 5 really good ones? Also, I was wondering about the change from the relatively loose association that was the ECAC pre-1979 to the three-division split in the 79-80 season and then the 12-team association in the 84-85 season (which corresponded with the HEA split). I figured this thread was a decent spot to ask about RPI / ECAC history.
      Some guy named Juneau graduated and took 8 more of the top 10 scorers from '90-91 with him. Hard to replace 134 goals immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
        I fully agree that we match up against Yale quite well. But they are number 1 for a lot of reasons. We played extremely well in New Haven-lost it in the third when we got called for 2 consecutive penalties to give them a long 5 on 3. We just could not keep them from scoring short 2 men and then they added an empty netter. We have been their worst nightmare the past two years and I hope we can continue to be so. A key point is how the game is called. Often times at the freakout, the refs try to control the game early-perhaps to control the noise and boisterous attitude. In several of the games in the past we have been called for early penalties. If we can weather the first period well(usually or worst) and are allowed by the officials to play our game-we can be very competitive.
        I too am concerned about Brown. They do have a way of getting under your skin and have the kind of agitating team that can cause you to retaliate. We cannot afford to be in the box and worst of all cannot afford any DQ's that can affect the next night. We are a very good team-now we just have to consistently play that way. We have to beat the teams we are supposed to-and be competitive against the best teams (win or lose).
        A round of vodka gimlets says we get Hicks and Baker.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          I predict a brick through a specific window in Albany if that happens.

Just a prediction. It won't be me.
          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
            Some guy named Juneau graduated and took 8 more of the top 10 scorers from '90-91 with him. Hard to replace 134 goals immediately.
            Who's that!? Never heard of him!

OK, well, that explains that. Any insight by Ralph / DocD / Waite21 / others into the different makeups of ECAC?
            Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post

I predict that to be true from at least 12 different people (assuming the building has that many windows). It won't be me, either.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                Well, we've won the last 2 times we had Kotyra-and that has never happened before so all bets are off from me. Hicks has now probably replaced Kotyra on my list of who we don't want. I just hope we get a fair shake-if we are the ones to mug it up, then call us. But if it both sides or the opponent-then don't just make the calls on us. I am not asking for much but I think we are a fine 5 on 5 team and we do OK a man short as long as it is not an endless stream of players to the box. I am always a bit suspicious of the calls early at the freakout. Some times i feel the officials are just making an extra effort to take the crowd out of the game. Just an opinion though.
                Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Who's that!? Never heard of him!

OK, well, that explains that. Any insight by Ralph / DocD / Waite21 / others into the different makeups of ECAC?
                  Probably our best authority would be Kurt in this case. I was around for all the years involved but don't know much about the politics involved. I do know it was fun when the ECAC basically contained everyone and we got to see the Boston teams all the time.
                  Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                    I wonder how many of us got suckered into listening to that.
                    Listened to it and it was one the most hard hitting in depth interview I'v ever heard I wonder who that reporter was ???????????????????? well done !!!!!!!!!
                    What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I was wondering about the change from the relatively loose association that was the ECAC pre-1979 to the three-division split in the 79-80 season and then the 12-team association in the 84-85 season (which corresponded with the HEA split). I figured this thread was a decent spot to ask about RPI / ECAC history.
                      You're right that the ECAC was a relatively loose association prior to 1979. There was no requirement that every member play every other member at all, let alone that they play every other member the same number of times.

I was living in Philadelphia in 1979-80. Philadelphia was never a good place to get news about college hockey, especially after Penn dropped its varsity program in 1978. I honestly didn't even remember that there had been a time when there was a three-division setup in the ECAC.

I do have a recollection that, when Hockey East was formed, RPI was invited to join and become their 8th team. RPI declined, partly due to a desire to remain associated with the academic prestige of the Ivies and partly due to reluctance to abandon long-standing rivalries with Clarkson and St. Lawrence. Instead of RPI becoming the 8th Hockey East team, Army rejoined the ECAC and became the 12th ECAC team.

You can find some information on the history of the various leagues if you go to augenblick.org and click on the link to College Hockey Historical Archives.

Comment

And it won't be me either... it will be a mystery.
                        And I am in possession of many mysteries, including knowledge of how some goalposts were painted red in Schenectady many years ago.

Let's enjoy a good weekend ion the ice... starting w Brown who matches up w us well and plays in a most effective and exaspering way against us.
                        Last edited by fr joe; 01-24-2011, 11:14 PM.
                        Here we come!

Comment

Who the hell stated the "overrated" chant on Saturday? That was right up there with booing D'Amigo in the "world's dumbest moves" list. We're ranked higher than them. They're SUPPOSED to lose to us.
                          Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                            You're right that the ECAC was a relatively loose association prior to 1979. There was no requirement that every member play every other member at all, let alone that they play every other member the same number of times.

I was living in Philadelphia in 1979-80. Philadelphia was never a good place to get news about college hockey, especially after Penn dropped its varsity program in 1978. I honestly didn't even remember that there had been a time when there was a three-division setup in the ECAC.

I do have a recollection that, when Hockey East was formed, RPI was invited to join and become their 8th team. RPI declined, partly due to a desire to remain associated with the academic prestige of the Ivies and partly due to reluctance to abandon long-standing rivalries with Clarkson and St. Lawrence. Instead of RPI becoming the 8th Hockey East team, Army rejoined the ECAC and became the 12th ECAC team.

You can find some information on the history of the various leagues if you go to augenblick.org and click on the link to College Hockey Historical Archives.
                            Just to add a bit. As you wrote, originally everyone could play whomever they wanted to. Seedings for the playoffs were decided in a smoke-filled room. This, of course, produced a lot of dissension with schools and fans thinking that they were screwed. So eventually, specific scheduling requirements were started.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Who the hell stated the "overrated" chant on Saturday? That was right up there with booing D'Amigo in the "world's dumbest moves" list. We're ranked higher than them. They're SUPPOSED to lose to us.
                              Thank you. I was also upset with this.
                              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Thank you. I was also upset with this.
                                Yes. Probably some pairwise fanatic
                                I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Working...
                                X