Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010-2011 IV: We Still Have Allen York. Sorry, Everyone!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-2011 IV: We Still Have Allen York. Sorry, Everyone!

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
    On another note, cnor pointed out to me last night that the individual team banners were also taken down earlier this season and have not been put up again.
    They took the team banners down over the summer before they re-painted the ceiling. My best guess is that they're working on redesigning those, as well, before re-hanging them.

Comment

tb, that didn't take long. I knew Hockey East would figure in ur thoughts. Concur.
      "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
        One word ... Feola. Looking forward to the thoughts of tb on the "officiating" today. Last week I speculated about the anti-Appert sentiment that permeates the league office and the individuals they pass off as officials, I offer you today's game as exhibit A. Our great coach and the young men he leads do not deserve this second rate treatment.
        I was as upset with the officials as anyone else in the stands after the game. I thought we got screwed on both the Bailen interference call when Merriam was run into and the call against Brutlag. I called "Bull$H!+" at the time of the calls, I booed the refs as they left the ice surface.

But, watching the DVR of overtime and listening to Tim Heiman and Kevin Broad, I am a little more understanding. Bailen did clearly shove the Cornell forward who did not have the puck, which is why he bowled into Merriam. I still don't agree with the call against Brutlag, but there are others who see it differently than I.

To be clear, the refs are not the reason that we took 0 points this weekend. Until this team plays a full 60 minutes, there are going to be let-downs, missed opportunities, and (occasionally) 0-point weekends.

This team is very much still in the hunt for the bye and a spot in the NCAAs. It's just a matter of consistency.

And, I know that this is thinking way too far ahead, but I disagree with you that the loss of Polacek this off-season will be devastating. I am more concerned about the loss of York in two years. But, as I said, that is thinking way too far ahead.
        Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

If anyone was wondering, yes, there were towels thrown at the refs. No, mine was not.

After Merriam got run and we got a penalty for it, I hereby recant any nice feelings I once had toward that abomination of a school to the south (and slightly west) of me.

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
            And, I know that this is thinking way too far ahead, but I disagree with you that the loss of Polacek this off-season will be devastating. I am more concerned about the loss of York in two years. But, as I said, that is thinking way too far ahead.
            Actually, that was the post of my dear brother troyboy. However, I do agree with him. I would rather not play w/out Allen but Bryce has been more than good in his absence. Chase will be a severe loss just look at the # of GWG this year. His leadership, etc. is huge to this team. Earlier in the year SA talked about how Chase made JDA look so good last year (paraphrase). Well, in light of the developments with JDA this week I think this is true. This team has been resilient and will rebound from this weekend.
            "Rick not want to be know as tough guy, Rick want to be known as team guy" Rick "Mongo" Bennett

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              If anyone was wondering, yes, there were towels thrown at the refs. No, mine was not.
              I would think nothing less of you. While the inadequency of the ECAC officiating should be brought to light, behavior such as throwing towels is uncalled for.
              Last edited by AspyDad; 02-12-2011, 09:59 PM.

Comment

I hereby recant any nice feelings I once had toward that abomination of a school to the south (and slightly west) of me.
                Finally ... Thank you.

Comment

After Merriam got run and we got a penalty for it...
                  Read burgie12's post just before yours. He's right.
                  A neg.rep on this thread is a badge of honor.....troyboy March 7 2011

Comment

Originally posted by AspyDad View Post
                    One word ... Feola. Looking forward to the thoughts of tb on the "officiating" today. Last week I speculated about the anti-Appert sentiment that permeates the league office and the individuals they pass off as officials, I offer you today's game as exhibit A. Our great coach and the young men he leads do not deserve this second rate treatment.
                    I may be mistaken, but I think Kotyra was the one who made the Brutlag abomination from center ice.

Schafer's school of flopping prevails again. I need to see a replay, since I am obviously a biased person, but the way the player fell, it was an OBVIOUS flop. These guys are six-foot nothing and can take and dish out big hits ...but a little bump at the blue line and its like he was punched in the face (legs go out and arms flail up, etc).

The only reason a bump like that could "affect the play and result in a legitimate scoring chance" is because Schafer teaches his guys to dive and they take the risk of removing themselves from the play when flopping. Iles tried it midway / late through the third, didn't get the call, and it almost bit him. But when it matters most, you can count in Schafer's influence on the referees (reputation-based) to come through in the critical moments of the game. I recall a playoff series two years ago where RPI wins a close game, Schafer complains about the refs, and the amount of penalties on the subsequent night was staggering. When you build your team for the power play, I guess that's what you have to do.
                    Last edited by olmerd; 02-12-2011, 09:29 PM.

Comment

And riddle me this Batman, if two teams play a hockey game, and each side has 12 infractions, what is expected ratio of power plays? If you said 2-to-1, you'd be right! Why are there always these "equalizing penalties"? How does one interfere with the goaltender if pushed? Sounds like it should have been a penalty to RPI only. I don't get these guys.

One more point of frustration...can't we get any sort of "homer bias" in our own building? I've jokingly complained about goal judges not lighting the light for RPI or lighting it for the other team in our building. Well tonight, the third period ends. The countdown for overtime starts, ALONG with the Cornell penalty time. People notice it, but only put SOME of the time back on the clock. If twenty seconds of the countdown to overtime have expired, how do you only put 7 seconds (I forget the exact numbers) back on the clock? The refs can't even use common sense with a clock, let along make consistent calls. Did that have any effect on the outcome? Absolutely not.

Comment

Aspydad and olmerd- If you check the ECAC site at http://www.ecachockey.com/men/2010-1...s?sort=pim&r=1 you will see Cornell at #1 in League PIM with 374 (likely before this weekend's games) and RPI at #4 with 245. How does this square with your feelings about anti-Appert sentiment and Schaefer's supposed influence over the officials?

Comment

Originally posted by TimV View Post
                          Aspydad and olmerd- If you check the ECAC site at http://www.ecachockey.com/men/2010-1...s?sort=pim&r=1 you will see Cornell at #1 in League PIM with 374 (likely before this weekend's games) and RPI at #4 with 245. How does this square with your feelings about anti-Appert sentiment and Schaefer's supposed influence over the officials?
                          Cornell has had major(s) and/or misconduct(s) in their last 7 games straight. The officials can only let so much slide when guys are taking runs at people and gooning it up every game they play. The 5's and 10's tend to skew the numbers up pretty quick. For example, Cornell's 52 minutes of penalties last night at Union owing to 2 majors, a misconduct, a game misconduct, and a game DQ. I'd be interested to see how the numbers shake out if you took out the majors and misconducts, but don't have the energy to crunch the numbers myself.
                          APBWiki

Comment

Originally posted by TimV View Post
                            Hey stat man, go to our game against Harvard at home. I believe there were 12 penalties in that game, 10 on RPI and 2 on Harvard and the 2 on Harvard were a matching penalty and the other was for too many men on the ice (Bryan Hicks BTW). You want to talk about disallowed goals. Listen, you know Mike instructs his guys to dive, you know it and I know it. Olmerd is spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
                              Cornell has had major(s) and/or misconduct(s) in their last 7 games straight. The officials can only let so much slide when guys are taking runs at people and gooning it up every game they play. The 5's and 10's tend to skew the numbers up pretty quick. For example, Cornell's 52 minutes of penalties last night at Union owing to 2 majors, a misconduct, a game misconduct, and a game DQ. I'd be interested to see how the numbers shake out if you took out the majors and misconducts, but don't have the energy to crunch the numbers myself.
                              Yea... what he he said.

Comment

Ok - so if Cornell leads in PIM it's from Majors and fights, and if they don't, it's because the officials are influenced to call in their favor. Got it.

Comment

Working...
                                X