Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010-2011 IV: We Still Have Allen York. Sorry, Everyone!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2010-2011 IV: We Still Have Allen York. Sorry, Everyone!

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    1985, perhaps?
    I dont think we were number 1 until the end of the year-I think Michigan State was number one for most of the year-but my memory is clouded by a lot of medication today.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Back up to #10 in the USCHO poll.

More importantly, we have 10 ECAC games left before playoffs. Winning 7 or more would be a nice way to sew up a 1st round bye while also putting us in good shape for a tournament bid. Game against Brown on Friday is the real test of this weekend. It's a must win on a night that we haven't played our best this season with lots of incentive to be looking past Brown and toward Yale (and Freakout). A win against Yale would be a great bonus, but not a must have. The way we get to a bye and the NCAA is by beating the teams we should beat. Brown, Cornell, Colgate, SLU and .500 or better in the other 6.

Comment

Did anyone notice what type of protection Brock Higgs was using for his throat over the weekend?
        Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-24-2011, 02:55 PM.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          Ddi anyone notice what type of protection Brock Higgs was using for his throat over the weekend?
          I was not able to tell under the helmet, nor was I able to see during the anthems. Perhaps it is one of those that is built into the shirt.

Comment

I was not able to tell under the helmet, nor was I able to see during the anthems. Perhaps it is one of those that is built into the shirt.
            Well, whatever he wore worked.

Off topic: RPI's football coach, Joe King, has stepped down. http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/201...124110145.aspx
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Off topic: RPI's football coach, Joe King, has stepped down. http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/201...124110145.aspx
              I didn't see that coming, at least not quite this soon.

Joe certainly did a great job with the RPI football program. He will be sorely missed.

Thinking about his remark about his family's involvement with the program - I can remember going to an RPI game at Susquehanna U. and having Joe's wife come through the bleachers offering homemade cookies to the RPI fans in attendance. Only in Division III.

Comment

He retired. We will have interviews from ECAV (thanks to yours truly) this weekend during the hockey games.
                Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                  Back up to #10 in the USCHO poll.

More importantly, we have 10 ECAC games left before playoffs. Winning 7 or more would be a nice way to sew up a 1st round bye while also putting us in good shape for a tournament bid. Game against Brown on Friday is the real test of this weekend. It's a must win on a night that we haven't played our best this season with lots of incentive to be looking past Brown and toward Yale (and Freakout). A win against Yale would be a great bonus, but not a must have. The way we get to a bye and the NCAA is by beating the teams we should beat. Brown, Cornell, Colgate, SLU and .500 or better in the other 6.
                  We can add 10th in the USA Hockey Magazine poll to that.

However, let's hope the team doesn't decide to rest on its laurels. We're only +2 on the first round bye pace. Six home games, four road games, potential for 20 points. 11 points is certainly possible, but I would aim for 13 or 14 to be on the safe side. We are one point out of 3rd, but CCT, who is one point behind us, has a game in hand. This weekend will say a lot about the character of our team.

Comment

Did anyone notice what type of protection Brock Higgs was using for his throat over the weekend?
                    I noticed a little extra black piece of fabric poking out from under his shirt. My assumption is that this was his throat guard.

I got bored today and wandered through the RPI hockey media guide and saw that in Powers' 5 seasons as head coach, he finished in the top 4 every year but 91-92. Does anyone remember a reason or at least have some kind of explanation for the relatively terrible season in the midst of 5 really good ones? Also, I was wondering about the change from the relatively loose association that was the ECAC pre-1979 to the three-division split in the 79-80 season and then the 12-team association in the 84-85 season (which corresponded with the HEA split). I figured this thread was a decent spot to ask about RPI / ECAC history.
                    Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
                      I noticed a little extra black piece of fabric poking out from under his shirt. My assumption is that this was his throat guard.

I got bored today and wandered through the RPI hockey media guide and saw that in Powers' 5 seasons as head coach, he finished in the top 4 every year but 91-92. Does anyone remember a reason or at least have some kind of explanation for the relatively terrible season in the midst of 5 really good ones? Also, I was wondering about the change from the relatively loose association that was the ECAC pre-1979 to the three-division split in the 79-80 season and then the 12-team association in the 84-85 season (which corresponded with the HEA split). I figured this thread was a decent spot to ask about RPI / ECAC history.
                      Classes haven't started yet, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
                        Absolutely agreed. I think that the fact that we still have 2 games each to play against Princeton and Quinnipiac will help shake out the standings and clarify the bye vs. home ice discussion quite a bit. I was playing with SiouxSports' "what-if calculator" (like I said, I was really bored today), and I was able to get us in first place with 30 points, a 10-way tie for 2nd with 22, and then Harvard in 12th with 14. So, obviously, there's still a lot of hockey to be played and a lot can happen in that time.
                        Go Red!!

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Classes haven't started yet, eh?
                          I had my first class today. But, it was a 1-hour lecture at 9, and then I was done for the rest of the day. So....... yea. Not a whole lot of productive today.
                          Go Red!!

Comment

I'm very confident we will win against Yale for a few reasons. We match up very well against them, which we proved earlier this year. It's the Freakout, and the place will go nuts. It's the last chance for our seniors to win a Freakout, and I'm sure the boys will be up for the challenge to beat the number 1 team in the country.
                            I'm more concerned about Brown, and hope we can stay out of the Penalty Box, which in my opion is much harder to do against Brown. I hope our Hot Heads keep their cool this weekend, and that we can get some half way decent refs who call a fair game.

Comment

Well, whatever he wore worked.

Oh no!! I have followed RPI football for as long as I have followed hockey-47 years. He is a class act, a wonderful recruiter and a great coah who brought RPI football into respectability. Coming from the 1960's where we were a complete embarrassment on the field-we have become a Division III competitive force. i , for one, will miss him. Great job-coach King!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Go Puckman View Post
                                I'm very confident we will win against Yale for a few reasons. We match up very well against them, which we proved earlier this year. It's the Freakout, and the place will go nuts. It's the last chance for our seniors to win a Freakout, and I'm sure the boys will be up for the challenge to beat the number 1 team in the country.
                                I'm more concerned about Brown, and hope we can stay out of the Penalty Box, which in my opion is much harder to do against Brown. I hope our Hot Heads keep their cool this weekend, and that we can get some half way decent refs who call a fair game.
                                I fully agree that we match up against Yale quite well. But they are number 1 for a lot of reasons. We played extremely well in New Haven-lost it in the third when we got called for 2 consecutive penalties to give them a long 5 on 3. We just could not keep them from scoring short 2 men and then they added an empty netter. We have been their worst nightmare the past two years and I hope we can continue to be so. A key point is how the game is called. Often times at the freakout, the refs try to control the game early-perhaps to control the noise and boisterous attitude. In several of the games in the past we have been called for early penalties. If we can weather the first period well(usually or worst) and are allowed by the officials to play our game-we can be very competitive.
                                I too am concerned about Brown. They do have a way of getting under your skin and have the kind of agitating team that can cause you to retaliate. We cannot afford to be in the box and worst of all cannot afford any DQ's that can affect the next night. We are a very good team-now we just have to consistently play that way. We have to beat the teams we are supposed to-and be competitive against the best teams (win or lose).

Comment

Working...
                                X