Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010-2011 IV: We Still Have Allen York. Sorry, Everyone!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-2011 IV: We Still Have Allen York. Sorry, Everyone!

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Nice articles.

This may be just me, but it always strikes me as funny when "Mr. Sullivan" refers to RPI as "the 'Tute". To me that is an expression that is usually used only by RPI students, fans, alums, etc. Then again, as an alternative, he could have used RIP, so I shouldn't complain .

It's good to see confirmation that Malchuk expects to return next year.
    I believe there are other nicknames used by the writer for other schools, such as "Elis", "Larries", "Bruno", etc.

Comment

Nice articles.

This may be just me, but it always strikes me as funny when "Mr. Sullivan" refers to RPI as "the 'Tute". To me that is an expression that is usually used only by RPI students, fans, alums, etc. Then again, as an alternative, he could have used RIP, so I shouldn't complain .

It's good to see confirmation that Malchuk expects to return next year.
      I agree that it will be great to have Malchuk back next season. Given SA's quotes, I would not be surprised to see a letter on his shoulder next year.
      Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
      Benjamin Franklin
      The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
      Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
        I agree that it will be great to have Malchuk back next season. Given SA's quotes, I would not be surprised to see a letter on his shoulder next year.
        I know it's WAY too early to speculate about this one, but I'm not sure if there are any other good candidates for captain, at least from the current "junior" class (Bergin's also a redshirt, so I am considering him a sophomore). Goalies aren't allowed to be the designated C (I know a SLU goalie a few years ago had an A).

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          I know it's WAY too early to speculate about this one, but I'm not sure if there are any other good candidates for captain, at least from the current "junior" class (Bergin's also a redshirt, so I am considering him a sophomore). Goalies aren't allowed to be the designated C (I know a SLU goalie a few years ago had an A).
          I would imagine Bailen and O'Grady are strong candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by knsmith View Post
            I would imagine Bailen and O'Grady are strong candidates.
            True, we could see a junior become the captain (after all, Kennedy has been the captain for 2 years). We have no idea what goes on behind the closed doors of practice and the locker room, so we wouldn't necessarily know who from the group of sophomores and juniors is showing those leadership qualities off the ice.

Maybe AAG? I've kind of left him and Cullen out of the picture because they really weren't stepping up and showing that leadership last year. However, every player is given their chance to improve, and I think AAG has been doing a good job with that.

Comment

Did you mean any of these 5 or any of the 35 to date? I would have thought that you have seen all of these 5 play.

I couldn't argue about this group, but I would about a couple of earlier ones. I guess that I should wait until all 50 have been divulged before complaining about any of them.

I suspect that Brinkworth, Juneau, and Oates will be the only RPI players selected.
              Couldn't argue with these 5-I did not agree on all of the previous 30. I agree that we will only place 3 into the group-but they are a very deserving group of 3.
              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Some love for Chase and Yorkie from Mr. Sullivan: http://www.uscho.com/2011/02/03/pola...es-rensselaer/

EDIT: Add in some love for Joel: http://troyrecord.com/articles/2011/...mode=fullstory
                The stuff on Malchuk is right on the mark. Jenny and I were there and saw him go down in Princeton and thought we might never see him play at this level again. I never saw a leg get bent that way before in all my career in medicine. He has come all the way back-he is a force on this team and a big contributor to the success. I am very happy he is coming back for next year and could be counted on as one of the leaders of this team.

Comment

I really don't know who has leadership ability, but I do think that Malchuk is a very likely candidate. From the junior class, perhaps AAG as his brother was a Captain. I'd go with Bailen as the third to wear a little although I wonder because he has been on the team only one year.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I really don't know who has leadership ability, but I do think that Malchuk is a very likely candidate. From the junior class, perhaps AAG as his brother was a Captain. I'd go with Bailen as the third to wear a little although I wonder because he has been on the team only one year.
                    Jerry was supposed to be an A this year, until he bolted. I'm sure we all remember the photoshop.

Comment

Jerry was supposed to be an A this year, until he bolted. I'm sure we all remember the photoshop.
                      He certainly wouldn't be the first to wear a letter in his second season, a matter of fact, at least once, there has been a cocaptain in his first year. That would be the late Dale Watson who wore a C in 66-67 in his soph season when freshmen weren't eligible to play on the varsity. There were extenuating circumstance due to the fact that the junior and senior classes had very little talent because of no recruiting for two years,
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

He certainly wouldn't be the first to wear a letter in his second season, a matter of fact, at least once, there has been a cocaptain in his first year. That would be the late Dale Watson who wore a C in 66-67 in his soph season when freshmen weren't eligible to play on the varsity. There were extenuating circumstance due to the fact that the junior and senior classes had very little talent because of no recruiting for two years,
                        1965-1966 was the most extenuating circumstance I can recall! It was as painful as a root canal to watch. It was my last year at RPI and left a sour taste. Things improved in a hurry with the freshman class led by Watson.

Comment

Ralph, I caught up with your Belt thread today... and was pleased to see that RPI now holds the ECAC Belt. How long has it been since RPI has held the ECAC Belt and how long since we've held The Belt?
                          Here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                            Couldn't argue with these 5-I did not agree on all of the previous 30. I agree that we will only place 3 into the group-but they are a very deserving group of 3.
                            I could argue against Tim Thomas. If he wasn't doing so well with Boston I think he would not have made the list. The entire idea here is publicity and when you've got the probably Vezina winner to boast about you do it. Don't get me wrong... I like Timmy and think he was a great goalie it's just that he never was an all American and since Vermont is no longer in the ECAC I wouldn't have given him the nod over players from current ECAC teams.

Comment

Looking at the stats for this weekend, it looks like we can call the game if one team is leading at the end of either the first or second periods. Quinnipiac is the only team that is not undefeated when leading after the conclusion of a period (8-1-1 after 1, 9-0-1 after 2). But, with the skill and heart of these 3 teams, a "trend" just isn't enough, you're still going to have to show up for all 60 minutes to win the game.
                              Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

I agree with all of these picks from what I see on the ice. Bergin might be a year away due to his "rookie" status as an Engineer...but his play tells me all I need to know. Wildcards might be Bergin, Lee, Rabbani.
                                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                                X