Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPI 2010-2011 IV: We Still Have Allen York. Sorry, Everyone!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2010-2011 IV: We Still Have Allen York. Sorry, Everyone!

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
    RC-from the radio broadcast it sounded like Bergin got cut in the leg or knee area. If he needed any stitches they will need to stay in for 10-14 days for those areas (if they extend over the joint area that moves it could be even a bit longer). Being held out for 2 weeks would not surprise me but I was hoping to see him play in Princeton this week. I would wait for an official announcement also but that report does sound logical under the circumstances.
    When he first got up and was holding the leg in a bent position I feared it was a knee injury. Then we saw that he was holding the back of his leg (although my addled brain can't remember whether it was the calf or the thigh) so I don't think the cut was on the joint.

I haven't been to the Freakout in about a decade so we had a great time on Saturday night. It's nice to see the boys racking up important wins, although we can't depend on York to bail us out of a 2 to 1 shooting disadvantage every night. I did chuckle, however, listening to a couple of Yale fans that were unhappy because "the Bulldogs dominated 'em" but couldn't score. They are an impressive team but last time I looked goaltender was an official position on a hockey roster. I've only seen him 3 times but Rondeau has't really impressed me so with Mr. York in the nets I'd give us a fighting chance to beat them on any given night.

One last question.... I know I'm getting old but when did "so dirty" become a compliment? The guy behind me must have said to his girlfriend about 30 times "our goaltender is so dirty" (generally after another stunning save by York). Apparently it is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
      When he first got up and was holding the leg in a bent position I feared it was a knee injury. Then we saw that he was holding the back of his leg (although my addled brain can't remember whether it was the calf or the thigh) so I don't think the cut was on the joint.

I haven't been to the Freakout in about a decade so we had a great time on Saturday night. It's nice to see the boys racking up important wins, although we can't depend on York to bail us out of a 2 to 1 shooting disadvantage every night. I did chuckle, however, listening to a couple of Yale fans that were unhappy because "the Bulldogs dominated 'em" but couldn't score. They are an impressive team but last time I looked goaltender was an official position on a hockey roster. I've only seen him 3 times but Rondeau has't really impressed me so with Mr. York in the nets I'd give us a fighting chance to beat them on any given night.

One last question.... I know I'm getting old but when did "so dirty" become a compliment? The guy behind me must have said to his girlfriend about 30 times "our goaltender is so dirty" (generally after another stunning save by York). Apparently it is a good thing.
      Looked to me like he was holding his calf. I watched the replay of RPI goals and all of them seemed solid to me-including the empty netter which Lee just out skated Yale's D. It is sour grapes to hear that the only reason we won was York. Yes he was OUTSTANDING but our forwards and PK and D were very effective also. RPI wouldn't had won had they not delivered in those areas also. If they want to make themselves feel better by saying it was just our goalie let them be unprepared the next time-if and when there is one. It is just one game (Yale) but great boost for this team to sweep again.

Comment

Who do you think is Appert's best recruit? York? AY is aok Polacek? POTY Yale's Little, Kearney Cahill are all good but Chase had 3 points against the formerly no 1 team in the country. Laliberte D'Amigo, Pirri?

Comment

Picked a good two weekends to visit hockey. Four games four wins. Weather was not a plus 18 below was 104 degrees less than the day before we left. Brutlag AAG and McGrady played against everyone's top lines and shut them down. Foss and Bergin also were solid for a lot of minutes. Dolan and Koudys were also good. Bailen is terrific great offensive presence and Capt K all get great credit for allowing only five goals in four games. I said earlier in the year Higgs needed to get a little stronger and a little quicker. He is there. Cannot say enough about Polacek. Regular shift pp pk points every game. His goal against Yale was not a floater as I have read but a great wrist shot. Fun to watch

Comment

I originally thought Mike may have broken his leg when I saw him crumple to the ice but then when he got up, & insisted on skating off on his own, grabbing his calf I thought maybe a severe cramp. We certainly have had more than our share of freaky accidents this year. What constitues a win; most SOG?....better passing?...better goaltender?...best hair?....or score more goals than the other team? I'll take this team over any team I've seen this year. Put some other teams in the same situation (badly being outshot) do they emerge victorious, by 3 goals in both games! In the words of Branch Rickey, " luck is the residue of hard work". Combine talent with hardwork and you have a very good team, IMHO. Also, can some savy sports fans start to explain to the others that you DON'T start chanting, "OVERATED", with 15 minutes left in a game with a 3 goal lead against the #1 team in the country who also happen to lead the nation in scoring...sheesh
            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by Havasu M View Post
              Who do you think is Appert's best recruit? York? AY is aok Polacek? POTY Yale's Little, Kearney Cahill are all good but Chase had 3 points against the formerly no 1 team in the country. Laliberte D'Amigo, Pirri?
              I don't know if there's really a "best recruit". I would say York if you pointed an object of destruction at me and told me to pick, but I think the best thing is that Coach sees something special in each and every player he recruits, and then uses that as a puzzle piece to put together a cohesive team.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                Also, can some savy sports fans start to explain to the others that you DON'T start chanting, "OVERATED", with 15 minutes left in a game with a 3 goal lead against the #1 team in the country who also happen to lead the nation in scoring...sheesh
                Amen! We tried to stop everyone around us when they got on this and "Warm up the bus" while we held on to a 2-goal lead late in the third before the empty netter. People don't realize how much can happen in a very short amount of game time - especially against a team as good as Yale.
                APBWiki

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                  When I saw York go after the Yale player, I couldn't figure out what he did. Now after seeing it on replay, I still don't know what made him so angry. We have all seen that play a million times with the goalie ignoring it.
                  I can only guess that the Yale players were taking advantage of York throughout the game and he had had enough.
                  I couldnt get to the Yale game, but watched on TV. My take is that Yale is very clearly the real deal and a top team. Likewise, I wouldnt want to play these guys in anything more than 1 game. That 2nd period was just a dominating experience - we were completely outplayed. Didnt help that we were on the penalty kill for 8 of the first 10 min of the period, but they completely out skated us that period. I was messaging with a friend of mine who was at the game and my comment was "men against boys" during that period. All of that being said, York played fantastic and our D just didnt give Yale the chances that they typically get with their speed and skill. If anyone saw the Union - Yale game from the night before, you would have seen Yale score what seemed like within 10 seconds of 2 of their powerplays starting. It was scary. So, despite that 2nd period and all of Yale's speed and skill, the combination of York and the D shut them down. Lets also not get it lost on everyone that we scored 5. I think that it has been the good Dr. and I have kept saying at times all year that what we need is an extra goal a game. We got it this one. We capitalized on opportunities which we havent done in the past. If we dont score 5 (or even 4), this game starts taking on a different tone and possibly outcome. My take on York going after the guy was just an attitude thing and as much for the rest of the team as for himself. It seemed to me to be pure attitude in that we are not going to be intimidated or pushed around by anyone, and if you want to go, bring it on. I actually mentioned to my son, and thought a great move as set the tone and kept everyone up and fighting until the end. I like the way we played in the 3rd. There is no quit in these kids. I absolutely LOVE that. They believe in themselves and are willing to do whatever it takes to win. This is an attitude we havent had in years - at least not to this extent. For me, thats what makes these guys so much fun to watch. I'm glad that we have the team that we do. Couple others I think that make a difference every shift are Malachuk and Lee. Yale is a serious top team in the country. We beat them and this solidifies that we can play with anyone. We need a little bit more to be in contention for a national title, but I wouldnt want to have to be playing us.

Comment

Originally posted by GRussinko View Post
                    Amen! We tried to stop everyone around us when they got on this and "Warm up the bus" while we held on to a 2-goal lead late in the third before the empty netter. People don't realize how much can happen in a very short amount of game time - especially against a team as good as Yale.
                    Agreed. I still employ the rule where OVER-RATED / WARM UP THE BUS chants cannot be started until you are leading by more goals than minutes remaining in the game. But, if the opposing team has a powerplay, then that rule is even more strict.

Also, I remember games my freshman / sophomore year when we would pull Lange and the opposing team would score an ENG, they would chant "STILL AN EMPTY NET" when Mathias got back to his station. I wish we would employ a similar chant when we pot an empty netter. But, that's just me.
                    Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

I agree with your comment, " men against boys"......the boys couldn't score against the men who were down 5-4 for half the period
                      Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

• Originally posted by rpi82
                        I did chuckle, however, listening to a couple of Yale fans that were unhappy because "the Bulldogs dominated 'em" but couldn't score.
                        That's when you quote the thread title.
                        Without A Peer - Full coverage of RPI Men's and Women's Hockey, with a twist of lemon.

Without A Peer live tweets every RPI hockey game, men's and women's. Follow us at @without_a_peer on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                          What constitues a win; most SOG?....better passing?...better goaltender?...best hair?....or score more goals than the other team?
                          If best hair constituted a win, I'd be undefeated.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            If best hair constituted a win, I'd be undefeated.
                            Let me see if you say that when you are over 60!
                            Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

It is really fun that this thread has now taken such a light hearted attitude. it is truly amazing what 4 ECAC victories in a row can do for your psyche. Beating top teams like BU, Dartmouth, Yale and the Under 20 team can do that for you.
                              Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                                It is really fun that this thread has now taken such a light hearted attitude. it is truly amazing what 4 ECAC victories in a row can do for your psyche. Beating top teams like BU, Dartmouth, Yale and the Under 20 team can do that for you.
                                Just want to add Union to your list. I was at that win, and Union is no push over.
                                Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                                Benjamin Franklin
                                The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                                Gary Player

Comment

Working...
                                X