Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maine Recruit Updates: Monarchs and More......

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Recruit Updates: Monarchs and More......

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
    Kyle Williams, a 5-10 180 lb. defenseman from Bowdoinham, Me. has verbally committed to the University of Maine. He's the second leading (defenseman) point scorer for the New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs.
    Another Jr. Monarch...you gotta be kidding me.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
      FWIW Matt Morris ranked 28th among North American goalies in the CSB mid-terms.

Below some guy playing Boston Advantage.....Eek.
      I wouldn't put to much stock into the Draft Ranking for Morris. He doesnt have the pro size NHL teams are looking for and those rankings are based on pro potential rather than whos the better goalie right now. Morris has the potential to be a great college goalie and his pro potential will be based how well he does at Maine.
      USCHO.com's MASCAC and ECAC-Northeast Columnist

Maine Hockey Journal

Comment

Kyle Williams, a 5-10 180 lb. defenseman from Bowdoinham, Me. has verbally committed to the University of Maine. He's the second leading (defenseman) point scorer for the New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs.
        He'll be 21 in May.......impact player!

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
          Another Jr. Monarch...you gotta be kidding me.
          Should not take rocket science to get this. Kid is a Maine kid, in state tuition and some depth, probably not a scholarship. Looking at the list we are full at forward and am guessing he is being brought in for depth. We lose O'Neil and Hegarty, guessing Hutton and Renouf fill those slots. Norman is still a question mark and we lose 3 d-men the next year in Nemec, Cornell and Pryor, so having someone in for a year not a bad idea. Cornell and Nemec did not light it up in the EJHL either and they both have turned out fine.

Issue remains scoring depth and goaltending, defense has been okay.

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
            You aren't sold... on the level of play... of the USHL? Short of getting a kid out of the Swedish Elite League, there really isn't any league out there with NCAA eligible players being played at a higher level. Some might argue (and in fact do argue) that UMaine's whole issue the past decade has been relying on the inferior EJHL and NAHL much more than the USHL for recruiting.
            May be referring to indiana dman 2&8's play on the first goal, quite franky it was pathetic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sportsmaniac View Post
              I wouldn't put to much stock into the Draft Ranking for Morris. He doesnt have the pro size NHL teams are looking for and those rankings are based on pro potential rather than whos the better goalie right now. Morris has the potential to be a great college goalie and his pro potential will be based how well he does at Maine.
              That's great but all this nonsense about Boston Advanage and then they have a goalie ranked better than the vaunted USHL guy....I found it interesting.

Obv. the U is better 8 times out of 10 but it sure puts some holes in the absolutes people around here talk in.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post

Issue remains scoring depth and goaltending, defense has been okay.
                OK? What team have you been watching? Defensemen have been ok, the defense is awful and thats a result of Timmays poke check D that he wants them to play
                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  OK? What team have you been watching? Defensemen have been ok, the defense is awful and thats a result of Timmays poke check D that he wants them to play
                  Well I didn't say they have been terrific!

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                    That's great but all this nonsense about Boston Advanage and then they have a goalie ranked better than the vaunted USHL guy....I found it interesting.

Obv. the U is better 8 times out of 10 but it sure puts some holes in the absolutes people around here talk in.
                    You also have to take in consideration that Morris was injured from late October to early December which affected his ranking too. Now that hes playing again he will climb back in the 10-20 range for the final rankings.

At the end of the day, I don't think Morris will get drafted because of his size.

Just look at the grade they gave Alex GALCHENYUK. A top five talent but a limited viewing because he's been injured for most of the season. Most teams have him probably in their personal top ten right now. When he comes back I am sure NHL Central Scouting will ranked accordingly to his talent.

You are right about the USHL being better than the Tier I Elite League that the Advantages play in, but Central Scouting sees something in that kid right now because they like his skillset. In all honestly I don't think that kid will get drafted either. If he does it will be in the 6th-7th round.
                    Last edited by Sportsmaniac; 01-13-2012, 07:54 PM.

Maine Hockey Journal

Comment

Maine nets local recruit from Bowdoinham
                      By Nathan Fournier Published: 13th January 2012

Kyle Williams dream has come true.

The 20 year-old, 5-10, 185 pound defenseman from Bowdoinham, who plays for the New Hampshire Junior Monarchs has committed to the University of Maine for next season.

“I grew up watching the Black Bears and I dreamed of playing at the Alfond Arena,” said Kyle Williams. “Finally getting that opportunity, it’s a pretty easy decision.”
                      LINK>>>

UMaine Notebook: A trio of recruits heading for EJHL All-Star game
                      By Nathan Fournier Published: 13th January 2012

Cam Brown and Brian Morgan, the two top scorers of the New Hampshire Junior Monarchs and future University of Maine Black Bears teammates, are heading to the Eastern Junior Hockey League All-Star game Monday afternoon at Tri-Town Arena in Hooksett, NH.

“They have been great,” said New Hampshire Junior Monarchs coach Sean Tremblay. “I have had them on the same line since the get go, not so much because they are going to Maine, but they play so well together.”
                      LINK>>>

Maine Hockey Journal

Comment

Spoke with Kimball Union defenseman Doyle Somerby this weekend. He has offers from Maine, UNH, UMass, and St. Lawrence. He also visited BU according to a report this past week. He said he will make his decision probably this upcoming weekend. A ’94 birthdate and ranked 127th on the NHL Central Scouting’s Midterm rankings.

Maine Hockey Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsmaniac View Post
                          Spoke with Kimball Union defenseman Doyle Somerby this weekend. He has offers from Maine, UNH, UMass, and St. Lawrence. He also visited BU according to a report this past week. He said he will make his decision probably this upcoming weekend. A ’94 birthdate and ranked 127th on the NHL Central Scouting’s Midterm rankings.
                          Makes this weekend's series even bigger!

Comment

https://twitter.com/#!/jswaves18/sta...83370537664513

Looks like Jon Swavely's younger brother Steven will be joining the Black Bears.

Comment

Steve Swavely is currently 19th in EJHL goal scoring with 14 goals and second in team scoring with 31 points. He plays for the Jersey Hitmen who recently had 5 players selected to the all-star roster of the southern division in the EJHL. Steve scored the tying goal in regulation play with seconds remaining in the game. The north won in a shootout. Other players verbally committing to Maine who were in the all-star game were Cam Brown and Kyle Williams. By the way, the mother of Steve and Jon sang the National Anthem at a recent Maine home game. Very nicely done.
                              Last edited by Runsub5; 01-23-2012, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Steve Swavely is currently 19th in EJHL goal scoring with 14 goals and second in team scoring with 31 points. He plays for the Jersey Hitmen who recently had 5 players selected to the all-star roster of the southern division in the EJHL. Steve scored the tying goal in regulation play with seconds remaining in the game. The north won in a shootout. Other players verbally committing to Maine who were in the all-star game were Cam Brown and Kyle Williams. By the way, the mother of Steve and Jon sang the National Anthem at a recent Maine home game. Very nicely done.
                                Not to sound like a BC fan, but he will be 21 when he joins the program in the fall.

Comment

Working...
                                X