X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
    Anyone watch the Michigan/UNO game yesterday? What a crock of..... I betch you any money that if that happened the the Lakers or another small school team like NMU, it would of been NO GOAL.
    You are right. They need the money that Michigan will bring to the finals.
    Go Lakers!

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
      Anyone watch the Michigan/UNO game yesterday? What a crock of..... I betch you any money that if that happened to the Lakers or another small school team like NMU, it would of been NO GOAL.
      Yes, a bit of a surprise that they ruled it a goal. I think there is a general consensus that the puck had crossed the goal line but the video evidence wasn't conclusive enough to overturn the on ice call. A tough play to have to call either way. Rather than taking the easy way out, the refs went with their gut feeling. I think they've stretched the envelope of the rules. I'm not so sure they ruled it a goal just because it was for UM though.

Comment

I think it's pretty obvious they went beyond the letter of the rules. Was the puck in the net? Probably. Could the ref looking at the monitor see for sure that it was in the net? No. And Bill I agree with you that they didn't get the call "just because it was for UM," but teams like Michigan are more likely to get a call like that. If that was a UNO goal they were reviewing, the refs would have been much more cautious about sticking their necks out and being personally responsible for bouncing Michigan from the tournament than they were about UNO. That's just the wrong way for a tournament game to end.

Kind of off topic, but I thought the misconduct call against O'Neill from Yale yesterday was garbage too. Reminded me a lot of the "elbowing" call against LSSU at the end of the ND game a couple weeks back. These refs need to find a way to stay out of the game as much as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by laker_one View Post
          I think it's pretty obvious they went beyond the letter of the rules. Was the puck in the net? Probably. Could the ref looking at the monitor see for sure that it was in the net? No. And Bill I agree with you that they didn't get the call "just because it was for UM," but teams like Michigan are more likely to get a call like that. If that was a UNO goal they were reviewing, the refs would have been much more cautious about sticking their necks out and being personally responsible for bouncing Michigan from the tournament than they were about UNO. That's just the wrong way for a tournament game to end.

Kind of off topic, but I thought the misconduct call against O'Neill from Yale yesterday was garbage too. Reminded me a lot of the "elbowing" call against LSSU at the end of the ND game a couple weeks back. These refs need to find a way to stay out of the game as much as possible.

It was hall and arron in that UMD game so it didn't suprise me to much sinse they are ccha refs. I have noticed a lot this year that if there was a hard check it drew a penalty and even a possible major. McParland was given a 5 minute contact to the head penalty and it looked like a good hit later video proved it to be shoulder to chest hit, and there was many other ones besides this example. I know that reffing is not easy but if you watch behind the play you will notice the refs in the ccha do not even seem like they are paying attention to what they are supposed to be. That tells me that piotroski must be just as incompitent as their head as they are impostering to be compitent on the ice.

The ccha has sure made themselves look foolish with their refs in the Ncaa's in my humble oppinion.
          BLEED BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by Laker54 View Post
            I would like to see a change made for several reasons, some of which I mentioned earlier.

1) A new coach and his staff need to prepare the team both physically and mentally for each and every game. We have all talked about the ‘A’ team or ‘B’ team. Win or lose we all want to see the ‘A’ show up 100% of the time. The Lakers are not far from showing some great things now; if the new coach can get the ‘A’ team to show up for every period in each game. Heck if they showed up 90% of the time it would be a tremendous improve and would improve their record greatly. I like the quote from Lou Holtz. All season long I felt if the ‘A’ team showed up they could play with anyone. This was evident with the end of the season series with the Miami. While they lost the series, after the first 5 minutes of the second game the ‘A’ team seem to showed up to play and they hung in there against a team which may very well be in the Final Four. The ‘A’ team showed up against Ohio State and again in the Notre Dame series. Then I remember watching the ‘B’, in Bowling Green, where they couldn’t beat a ‘C’ team in Bowling Green; definitely the low point of the season. I remember watching people leave games early; over hearing them say ‘same old crap I’m leaving’. Bottom line constancy, you never new which team was going to come to play.

2) A new coach must have a proven record of selecting a proven coaching staff, recruiting quality hockey players, and most important able to develop those players. I think there are some freshmen who good be very good players. My concern is they will not improve their play over the next 3 years. Coach is also a teacher/communicator; some people are not cut out to be a good teacher.

3) Another reason I believe there should be a change is the lack of respect for Laker hockey. A new coach needs to bring back the respect to the LSSU Hockey on and off the ice. This should not be a surprise to anyone if you read my comments earlier about the present coach. However, for the past several years articles and stories I have read it appears the Lakers are an after thought. On the other hand when over the past 6 years you have seasons with 17, 18, 20, 20, 19 and 14 what should one expect? At this rate of improvement in another 6 years we might be down to 10 or 11 loses, baring a set back. Personally, that is a little to long to wait.
            When a team is losing 17-20 games a year under their coach,that team is going nowhere but the bottom of the pack . Lakers are averaging 18 loses a season the last 5 years . If anyone thinks after 6 years the coaching staff at Lake State is getting the job done,you are not looking to win.

Comment

Originally posted by laker_one View Post

Yah, O'Neill hit the UMD player high in the chest; it wasn't a head shot. I don't think Yale was playing their best hockey in the tournament anyway (they barely squeaked by AF), but that call certainly was a big blow to their chances against UMD.

Between ESPNU and ESPN3, it has been nice to be able to watch all of the tournament games (or at least parts of the games where there were overlaps).

Steve Perfetto had the winning goal in OT last night in a Kingston victory over Oakville in the OJHL playoffs.

Comment

Look to me he hit the guy in the head after watching 5 replays of O"Neill .

Comment

Anyone who needs proof that this season's Laker squad could compete with anyone in the nation need to look no farther than the first game of the year, the Lakers went toe to toe with a UMD team that just punched their ticket to a frozen four and in my opinion is playing as well as any team in the tournament right now...the coaching staff failed to get that type of effort out of the team on a regular basis.....

To add on to my comments yesterday regarding the attendance raising and the townspeople taking a vested interest in the team if they start to have better records, I attended the Soo Eagles playoff game last night that saw 1,100 people packed into Pullar Stadium, and featured one of the coolest atmospheres ive seen in a while at a hockey game...every person in the crowd was into the game and it was just generally fun to be there....The Soo is a very small college town but the bottom line is that the people around here love the game of hockey and want to see it played the right way, seeing that last night reconfirmed more than ever my belief that if the Lakers can put a team on the ice that works hard EVERY night out and competes that droves of locals would respond to that change by coming out to Taffy to see the games.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                    Hopefully the new comissioner will get rid of shootouts.
                    I have notice several people don't care for the shootout. I guess I enjoy it because it adds excitment to the game; like they say ties are like kissing your sister. I know the MSU game that ended in a shoot out win, and 2 points, for the Lakers was probably one of or was the most dramatic game I have attended yet. With Kapelka dislocating his shoulder not once but twice leaving the ice after each time, only to return to stop a shot. Then Powers 'Babe Ruthing it' (calling the shot) to win the shoot out. All pretty darn exciting!
                    Go Lakers!

Comment

They made the comment Saturday night that New Hampshire was having trouble scoring on the powerplay and that Scott Borek was the powerplay coach. That made me laugh like hell.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                        They made the comment Saturday night that New Hampshire was having trouble scoring on the powerplay and that Scott Borek was the powerplay coach. That made me laugh like hell.
                        Between the Borek powerplay and Jimbo's that is worth a whole lot of laughs.

The Truth Is Out There.....

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
                          Anyone who needs proof that this season's Laker squad could compete with anyone in the nation need to look no farther than the first game of the year, the Lakers went toe to toe with a UMD team that just punched their ticket to a frozen four and in my opinion is playing as well as any team in the tournament right now...the coaching staff failed to get that type of effort out of the team on a regular basis.....

To add on to my comments yesterday regarding the attendance raising and the townspeople taking a vested interest in the team if they start to have better records, I attended the Soo Eagles playoff game last night that saw 1,100 people packed into Pullar Stadium, and featured one of the coolest atmospheres ive seen in a while at a hockey game...every person in the crowd was into the game and it was just generally fun to be there....The Soo is a very small college town but the bottom line is that the people around here love the game of hockey and want to see it played the right way, seeing that last night reconfirmed more than ever my belief that if the Lakers can put a team on the ice that works hard EVERY night out and competes that droves of locals would respond to that change by coming out to Taffy to see the games.
                          The Lakers also should be proud of the fact that they took another Frozen Four team (Notre Dame) to 3 games in their playoff series and on the road no less...

Comment

Had it not been for shootouts,Lake State would have finished 10th behind Ohio State and MI State. How many on this thread actually think the current coaching staff is making any progress ?

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                              Had it not been for shootouts,Lake State would have finished 10th behind Ohio State and MI State. How many on this thread actually think the current coaching staff is making any progress ?
                              Any fair minded fan of Lake Superior State would answer no. They have made no progress in six years and a change needs to be made if they want to put fans in the seats once again. They are losing them more and more every year because it is "groundhog day" come October and then again in the first week of March and on this forum with the Roque apologists year in and year out.

A change has to be made if this University is serious about winning.
                              Last edited by Truth Serum; 03-28-2011, 11:44 AM.

Comment

At least with Roque they can score goals. "Anzalone 2.0" teams seemed to not be able to do that. I am sick of all these ties though. Roque's teams always seem to be "on the verge" of success. He should be put on a short leash, the trouble is finding someone willing to come to The Soo.

I wonder if Ron Rolston would entertain coming back. I thought there was chance state would make him an offer. If they can get him, they should make the change tomorrow.
                                Arenas I have been to in (chronological order):

Munn Arena: Michigan State
                                Norris Center/Abel Arena: Lake Superior
                                MacInnes Arena: Mich Tech
                                Yost Arena: U-Mich
                                Lakeview Arena: Nothern Mich
                                Ewigleben Arena: Ferris State
                                Lawson Arena: Western Mich.
                                Mariucci Arena ('nuff said)
                                Verizon Wireless Center: MN State
                                Joyce Center: Notre Dame
                                Berry Events Center: Northern Mich