X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey

Originally posted by Truth Serum View Post
    I guess that signature win against Lake State last season wasn't enough to save his job. Tech needed a bigger PR machine like Roque has up in the Soo.

Roque has nothing to worry about he ain't going anywhere. After six years and his record on and off the ice and dwindling attendance, he must feel like he has the ultimate in job security. It is all about controlling the conversation and the message, or just flat out ignoring it. The fan forum is prime example of that. Look at how the attack dogs go after anyone that dares question this coach and the lack of results on the ice.

Roque has positioned himself well within the university, has the right supporters in place around the Soo, and having Crawford broadcasting the games can only help his cause, due to his total obedience to stay on the Roque message.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of those same supporters might be financially backing the new Norris Center renovations. That is just speculation but something to ponder. We have seen and heard examples of what happens when you question or stand up to this coach. A few players and coaches could refresh your memory.

Year 7 of the Roque Administration will be here soon enough. Send the letters, post on the forum, but nothing will change and we will be having the same worn out and tired conversation next year at this time. More and more people, who love Laker hockey and have for years, are not happy with the direction, results, and same old excuses being made year after year after year. Have to get used to it one more year and you will see fewer and fewer people at the games because of it.
    Truth Squad, you used the wrong schtick for this post. You're slipping, girl.

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
      do you hve info or re you just speculating?
      I have been around Laker hockey for decades and know most/all of the people involved. I have heard nothing from anyone about a decision on the coach's future. I could be wrong but I just do not see it happening. If it did, chances would be high that many posters on this board would be making the same comments about a new guy within 3 years. The three recent changes in coaches in the CCHA had moixed results. OSU - neutral, BG -still in the basement, and WMU - last to 4th. WMU, however, has had a long history of underperforming.

Also, the emergence of a Big Ten league could greatly affect the future of Laker Hockey. Someone even mentioned that Ferris and LSSU have considered dropping their programs. I haven't heard that but it is out there. State funding is a critical issue.

You have made some good comments but I do take exception with one. You mentioned that Roque's first two years were with Anzalone's players. Asst coached typically do the bulk of the recruiting and it was Jim Roque who recruited Jeff Jaikitis. I believe the story was that a goalie recruit reneged in August and they needed another goaltender ASAP. Roque called Jaikitis and he came on short notice. Frank probably never met him until he came to school.

Everyone has their views on Roque's coaching ability but he has always been considered a pretty good recruiter when he was an assistant.

Comment

Originally posted by MeridianStreet View Post
        I have been around Laker hockey for decades and know most/all of the people involved. I have heard nothing from anyone about a decision on the coach's future. I could be wrong but I just do not see it happening. If it did, chances would be high that many posters on this board would be making the same comments about a new guy within 3 years. The three recent changes in coaches in the CCHA had moixed results. OSU - neutral, BG -still in the basement, and WMU - last to 4th. WMU, however, has had a long history of underperforming.

Also, the emergence of a Big Ten league could greatly affect the future of Laker Hockey. Someone even mentioned that Ferris and LSSU have considered dropping their programs. I haven't heard that but it is out there. State funding is a critical issue.

You have made some good comments but I do take exception with one. You mentioned that Roque's first two years were with Anzalone's players. Asst coached typically do the bulk of the recruiting and it was Jim Roque who recruited Jeff Jaikitis. I believe the story was that a goalie recruit reneged in August and they needed another goaltender ASAP. Roque called Jaikitis and he came on short notice. Frank probably never met him until he came to school.

Everyone has their views on Roque's coaching ability but he has always been considered a pretty good recruiter when he was an assistant.
        Yep, Roque's first couple of years coaching the Lakers weren't with just "Anzalone's players". Anzalone may have had the final say so on who was offered scholarships, but as you said the assistant coaches do a lot of the actual recruiting and Roque was an assistant under Anzalone.

Does anyone know if Roque's current contract is up for renewal, or if not, how many more seasons it lasts?

The Big Ten Conference seems to be a given at this point, but I'm not so sure that other Big Ten schools will add Div 1 hockey in the near future and expand the size of the Big Ten Hockey Conference anytime soon. It may depend on how much private money that supporters are able to contribute in this environment. The country as a whole is so far in debt, there is no reasonable way to pay it off. The government will either have to default on the debt (the better solution but probably not the one that will be made), or it will have to monetize it and pay it off with increasingly worthless dollars, which is more likely. It's not the best environment in which to increase the base of Div 1 hockey. Penn State may be doing it, but they've been on the cusp for many years and undoubtedly have lined up a lot of private support.

Comment

Well it's a Mid Am final. So much for the Big Ten; I love it.
          Go Lakers!

Comment

Originally posted by Laker54 View Post
            Well it's a Mid Am final. So much for the Big Ten; I love it.
            It will be really interesting to see what the attendance is like at the game tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker54 View Post
              While things did get exciting at the end of the season with the possible playoff scenarios I still believe LSSU A.D. must make a coaching change now for several reasons.

1. The escapade with the official after the MSU game. In my profession we always spoke of the force continuum. Roques, like many coaches, argue or yell at the officials; next step in the continuum; he decided to leave the bench, after the MSU game to confront an official and makes several acquisitions afterward. What is next throwing something at an official or attacking one? The University cannot take a chance with his actions. He needs to be held accountable for his actions. Quite frankly this is enough to not renew his contract.
              2. Roque's record is 82 wins, 105 losses and 39 ties for a .363 winning percentage after 6 years. Any coach with a losing record should not expect to keep his job. He has been here long enough to have his players in his system and he has not produced a winning team yet.
              3. Lack of player development. I have attended quite a few games over the past six years and have yet to see very few players improve their skills from year to year. What is sad is there are some very good freshmen on this team; if Roque and his staff stay I doubt very much will ever see Kapelka, Jean, Campbell, Radke, Lain and Rave improve over the next 3 years. What about Trotman? At what point is he going to ask himself ‘can I improve here under Roque’s coaching or should I get into the Boston system to make it to the NHL’. Look at what 4 years under Roque’s coaching team did for BMW, who is/was property of the Sharks. While BMW did have a season ending injury it was very obvious he was going to be beat out of his starting job by a very good freshman! Boy what a waste! After watching several games this year I have to wonder about the players; they are busting their tails and get the same results. A losing record. It is time for a fresh start for them and the university.
              4. The Lakers have become the basement dwellers for the past several years. We are all excited about the fantastic improvements coming the next couple of years to the facilities. Which hopefully kick start the program back to where it should be; this will not be accomplished with Coach Roque and his staff.
              5. I find it hard to believe they are making money they could. If their attendance is 2200+- for each game; just think what they could do with a winning team. We might have crowds like the Michigan State Weekend this past January.

Several of the things I believe Lake State should look for in a new coach:
              1. The new coach must bring respect back to the LSSU Hockey program. It has been my observations the Lakers have no respect from the CCHA or teams in the CCHA. After recent his recent run in with the CCHA fine and suspension, no matter our opinions of the CCHA or Roque, with these antics we will never get the respect from others.
              2. He must have a proven record of selecting a proven coaching staff, recruiting quality hockey players, and most important develop those players.
              3. The coach and his staff need to prepare the team both physically and mentally for each and every game. We have all talked about the ‘A’ team or ‘B’ team. Win or lose we all want to see the ‘A’ show up 100% of the time. The Lakers are not far from showing some great things now if the new coach can get the ‘A’ to show up for every period and game. Heck if they showed up 90% of the time it would improve their record greatly.
              4. He needs to be a communicator with the young players, the University, community and the fan base. He must be able to communicate with past players to have them come back to help with the preparation of players. My son meet Roque at a Alumni event during the series in Bowling Green this past January and was brushed off by him after he made several negative comments to him.

I intend to send an e-mail to the A.D. expressing my view point about making a coaching change now. I would encourage others to do the same.
              You can point out the back to back to back to back losing seasons, the fines, reprimands and embarrassment off the ice with filing police reports on linesmen, players all of the sudden gone with no questions four for five over the years that I know of and I don't live there, attendance going down every season, bus rides home and activities, and the covering up by the good old boys up in your little town and by his golf buddy on the mic, but all you have to do is look at Western Michigan and what their coach did, who as hard as it is to believe, is from your little town, and where they are at. Last place and worse way worse than the Lakers last season and in the CCHA final this season. I know the Roque defenders and attack dogs will demean me, former great coaches and say it doesn't matter but you people are only fooling yourselves to think otherwise.

You people up there have done well, despite everything, to keep this administration in tact for another three of four years. You did well to squash the talk of the coach being replaced. I am sure season seven will be another hit and the conversation will be changed to the 2012-2013 season by December and the Neil's and Bill's of this forum and their blind love for this administration will talk about next year once again early next season.

The A.D. would either have to be blind, deaf or there is something preventing her from making a move. This is not a man you want to cross and with the rhetoric ramped up this year in his defense on the forum and on the air, makes you wonder why?

The Truth Is Out There....
              Last edited by Truth Squad; 03-19-2011, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Rick Schofield has signed a deal with the Anaheim Ducks and will be reporting to Syracuse of the AHL

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Squad View Post
                  You can point out the back to back to back to back losing seasons, the fines, reprimands and embarrassment off the ice with filing police reports on linesmen, players all of the sudden gone with no questions four for five over the years that I know of and I don't live there, attendance going down every season, bus rides home and activities, and the covering up by the good old boys up in your little town and by his golf buddy on the mic, but all you have to do is look at Western Michigan and what their coach did, who as hard as it is to believe, is from your little town, and where they are at. Last place and worse way worse than the Lakers last season and in the CCHA final this season. I know the Roque defenders and attack dogs will demean me, former great coaches and say it doesn't matter but you people are only fooling yourselves to think otherwise.

You people up there have done well, despite everything, to keep this administration in tact for another three of four years. You did well to squash the talk of the coach being replaced. I am sure season seven will be another hit and the conversation will be changed to the 2012-2013 season by December and the Neil's and Bill's of this forum and their blind love for this administration will talk about next year once again early next season.

The A.D. would either have to be blind, deaf or there is something preventing her from making a move. This is not a man you want to cross and with the rhetoric ramped up this year in his defense on the forum and on the air, makes you wonder why?

The Truth Is Out There....
                  It sounds like you are about to cry, Truth Squad. Perhaps you need a hug from BJR or TruthSerum.

Comment

Originally posted by MeridianStreet View Post

Didn't 3dognight tell us that Lake State has made a 10 year commitment to the hockey program beginning with the new program that starts in 2012 ?

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                      Didn't 3dognight tell us that Lake State has made a 10 year commitment to the hockey program beginning with the new program that starts in 2012 ?
                      I do remember that he made a statement that the school would keep the hockey program through at least 2022. He said that at some point last September.

Comment

Originally posted by sm2pk View Post
                        I guess I remember seeing that comment. However, in today's fast changing environment and economic climate, I would be surprised to see the school make that commitment. how could they be held to it? Given today's economic realities one wouldn't even want to commit to Lake Superior State's existence in 10 years. Everyone talks up education but that is what is being cut. Lake State needs to get student numbers above 3,000 ASAP.
                        Last edited by MeridianStreet; 03-20-2011, 01:03 PM.

Comment

It is not the wins that has me saying the Lakers need a coaching change,it is the losses. In the last five years the teams losses have run from 17 to 20 every year under Roque and if those losses always stay in that 17-20 range,the Lakers stay in the 9th -last place finish as well. I think everyone on here almost knows for certain the Lakers will once again be facing 17-20 losses next season already and the coaches and media polls will have them in the bottom 3 of the league come September. It is time to just change things up.

Comment

Here is a little blurb on the Big Ten conference: http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...ort-by-2013-14

Comment

It's official. The Big Ten Conference is starting in 2013-2014. The Sault needs to support LSSU hockey more than ever these next few years.
                              LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by LSSULaker889294 View Post
                                It's official. The Big Ten Conference is starting in 2013-2014. The Sault needs to support LSSU hockey more than ever these next few years.
                                You want that to happen you have to give the people of your little town a reason to support it. Look at the attendance this season other than Michigan State and especially the playoffs where there were more like 500-700 people in the crowd each night according to the pictures.

I don't think the rally around Roque is going to hold much water up there besides his buddies and blind supporters on here and his inner circle that keeps his job up there.

You put in a new coach, or brought a legend back, and that would get people excited up at your little school. A conference without Michigan, Michigan State, Notre Dame and Ohio State and year 10 of this administration in 2013 isn't going to exactly pack em in.

The Truth Is Out There.....
                                TBA

Comment

Working...
                                X