This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey

Saw an interesting comment on the NOJHL Blog. According to Randy Russon, Soo Eagles coach Bruno Bragagnolo indicated he heard that the Traverse City NAHL franchise has been sold and will be moved to somewhere in Texas next season. Sure it's a blog, but if true that would kind of end the Traverse City to Lakers pipeline, at least to the degree it exists now. I assume it would also put Anthony Palumbo and Mike Matteucci on the coaching sidelines.
    Last edited by Bill; 03-16-2011, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
      Saw an interesting comment on the NOJHL Blog. According to Randy Russon, Soo Eagles coach Bruno Bragagnolo indicated he heard that the Traverse City NAHL franchise has been sold and will be moved to somewhere in Texas nest season. Sure it's a blog, but if true that would kind of end the Traverse City to Lakers pipeline, at least to the degree it exists now. I assume it would also put Anthony Palumbo and Mike Matteucci on the coaching sidelines.
      Coinciding with that story is talk the Eagles will be bought out by a guy from Chicago, and will move into the USHL. The team would stay in the Twin Soo area.

Talk about a pipeline in your backyard!

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Diamond View Post
        Coinciding with that story is talk the Eagles will be bought out by a guy from Chicago, and will move into the USHL. The team would stay in the Twin Soo area.

Talk ab out a pipeline in your backyard!
        The same NOJHL blog indicated that Pat LaFontaine has bought into the Eagles organization. Bragagnolo also said rumors of the Eagles moving to the NAHL weren't true. He did say Eagles owners had some discussions with Traverse City, leading you to believe that maybe they were trying to buy the TC franchise and move it to the Soo. Nothing was mentioned in the blog about a USHL franchise. I don't know if the USHL has any market size restrictions. A USHL team in the Soo would be nice but I'm not sure if the market is big enough. And they probably couldn't count on drawing a lot of fans over from Soo Ont.

Comment

Hopefully we got some news on the Norris Center Project soon.
          LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
            I don't know DB, say the BTHC forms, Miami and ND do switch to a modified "top tier" conference involving say Notre Dame, Miami, North Dakota, Minnesota Duluth, Denver, Colorado College, Nebraska-Omaha, and St. Cloud State...Minnesota State, MTU, UAA, and Bemidji may very well be interested in switching to a less stacked conference where they aren't necessarily destined to be bottom dwellers, say they come join forces with the remnants of the CCHA that would leave you with a conference consisting of LSSU, NMU, MTU, Minnesota State, UAA, UAF, Ferris, WMU, Bowling Green, and Bemidji....it would certainly be a second tier conference but would most likely still hold on to an automatic NCAA bid, and definitely still provide a competitive and quality level of play.

Now lets also inject the likely scenario that Penn State starting D1 hockey and the formation of the BTHC spurs on other high profile American universities to start D1 teams, and over the next 10-15 years 10-20 big name schools also want a piece of the action and start up...in this scenario it's highly possible that college hockey may raise it's profile in the sporting conscious of America, more TV time, more advertising, etc...this would certainly make the type of high profile prospects that are now passing up the NCAA route for the OHL, WHL, QJMHL come to one of the bigger, higher profile, and successful universities because they would now likely be recieving just as much exposure in the way of pro scouts...with the influx of these players some of the guys who are now on the lower end of the depth chart at these type of universities (for an example, Notre Dame has an NHL draft pick who scored 10 goals this season on its fourth line, these type of guys) would be pushed out of a roster spot at these type of schools and would then be apt to come to schools like the ones in the "new CCHA"....So even though the likelihood of the teams in the "new CCHA schools" winning a national title wouldn't be great, it is still very likely that they could be competitive and make some noise in the NCAA tourney in a given year, and the league would still be left with a competitive league that also has some future NHL talent on its teams...

You used NCAA football as an example but keep in mind that even though leagues like the Mountain West, WAC, and even the MAC don't produce national champions, they do provide teams every now and then (TCU, BYU, Boise State) that make a run at the national championship and have no problem getting players that not only make it to the NFL, but become stars...so even if this major facelift to the NCAA hockey landscape does change, all hope is not lost for fans in Sault Ste. Marie playing in a good league and seeing future pro talent on a regular basis...

I find your post thoughtful and for the most part agree with your scenario. I think that occasionally a smaller program will go deeper into the NCAA tourney, such as RIT did last year. It will only remain interesting to me as long as that is possible. I would welcome a conference alignment such as you foresee. Each year there would really be some question who would win the title. In the CCHA in recent years the list of true contenders is short and predictable. I have wished for a while to see the Lakers in a conference similar to the ECAC or Atlantic Hockey. I think that would be the appropriate level of competition for them given their financially dictated level of commitment. The level of hockey in these conferences is excellent, and yes, ocassionally NHL level players develop there. Like in NCAA football, one of the smaller programs will occasionally beat a "big time" program, but that is less important to me than the legitimate week to week competition that a more appropriate conference would bring to the lower spending programs. We would have to put up with the yearly "buy" games that would occur as large schools pay irresistible amounts of money to smaller schools to play non reciprocal games to fill their home schedule. I fondly remember Appalachia State's Ann Arbor win as rare but satisfying punishment for this behavior. So essentially, I agree with your vision, and with it would be content.

Regarding the formation of the Big Ten Hockey conference, do you think the Minnesota Legislature will have any objection to the University of Minnesota abandoning the other Minnesota state universities currently in the WCHA?

Another thought I have is regarding the division of NCAA cash generated by the tournament. This could be a motivator to keep a program such as ND or Miami in a weaker conference, because as previously suggested, a nearly guaranteed league championship, and subsequent cut of the NCAA post season money might be an alluring factor. Without knowing the financial arrangments for the participating schools, this is idle speculation.

Lastly, if you think we are down about the state of the Laker hockey program, check out the Maine thread. Their team hasn't been as bad for as long, and I think they should all be placed on suicide watch.
            Last edited by DB Cooper; 03-16-2011, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DB Cooper View Post
              I find your post thoughtful and for the most part agree with your scenario. I think that occasionally a smaller program will go deeper into the NCAA tourney, such as RIT did last year. It will only remain interesting to me as long as that is possible. I would welcome a conference alignment such as you foresee. Each year there would really be some question who would win the title. In the CCHA in recent years the list of true contenders is short and predictable. I have wished for a while to see the Lakers in a conference similar to the ECAC or Atlantic Hockey. I think that would be the appropriate level of competition for them given their financially dictated level of commitment. The level of hockey in these conferences is excellent, and yes, ocassionally NHL level players develop there. Like in NCAA football, one of the smaller programs will occasionally beat a "big time" program, but that is less important to me than the legitimate week to week competition that a more appropriate conference would bring to the lower spending programs. We would have to put up with the yearly "buy" games that would occur as large schools pay irresistible amounts of money to smaller schools to play non reciprocal games to fill their home schedule. I fondly remember Appalachia State's Ann Arbor win as rare but satisfying punishment for this behavior. So essentially, I agree with your vision, and with it would be content.

Regarding the formation of the Big Ten Hockey conference, do you think the Minnesota Legislature will have any objection to the University of Minnesota abandoning the other Minnesota state universities currently in the WCHA?

Another thought I have is regarding the division of NCAA cash generated by the tournament. This could be a motivator to keep a program such as ND or Miami in a weaker conference, because as previously suggested, a nearly guaranteed league championship, and subsequent cut of the NCAA post season money might be an alluring factor. Without knowing the financial arrangments for the participating schools, this is idle speculation.

Lastly, if you think we are down about the state of the Laker hockey program, check out the Maine thread. Their team hasn't been as bad for as long, and I think they should all be placed on suicide watch.
              Regarding the BTHC, I don't think it's as much as a done deal as some think. Unless the TV money generated feach year is a significant amount of money, I really don't understand the point in creating a conference based on the current landscape in college hockey. Right now it isn't that unrealistic for 4 of the 5 Big 10 schools to make the national tournament, it just happened three years ago. If they all combine to form one league, it's going to be nearly impossible for 3 of them to make it in one year coming out of a 6 team conference. I think that is something they need to consider as well.

The other point I wanted to make you already alluded to regarding Notre Dame and Miami. If Michigan, State, and OSU leave the CCHA, suddenly ND and Miami are shoo-ins for the national tournament nearly every single year. It will be a two team battle atop the CCHA and they will likely have enough wins for one to be an at-large bid for the Frozen Four. If the two teams leave to create the "super conference" it's going to be a battle for even one of them to make the tournament with the likes of North Dakota, UMD, and CC battling for the same spots. But, like you said, without the financial data it's hard to speculate on any of this.

Lastly, in the doomsday scenario that a super conference is created and we are left out in the cold, I'd like to see the formulation of a "mid-major" conference with the opportunity to be a George Mason in the tournament. I think the Lakers could be competitive in a league with WMU, Ferris, NMU, Tech, Bemidji, Minnesota State, and one of the Alaskas. The winner of that conference has the potential to make some noise in the NCAA tournament and in the first couple of years would likely play with a chip on their shoulder if they got matched up against a Big 10 or 'Super Conference' team.

Comment

IMO the BTHC is a good thing. It will truly help college hockey and hockey in general. The students will see this wonderful sport and hopefully fall in love with it like many on this blog do. I also agree that other big schools will follow the BTHC model if it works. Also I am sure like in Juniors and AAA the other schools ADs are talking. I could see the remaining WCHA and CCHA teams joining one league. Though if this happens I do not see that league leaving anyone who wants to join behind. They might even have two divisions though not common in college it is common in many other levels of hockey. I also see teams that might choose not to join but to form their own Little School ten league (MAC). As for product all could be competitive. As college hockey grows (even if it is marketing) I would think more kids would want to play. One thing I do hope is that it does grow like basketball though vs. football. It seems that in basketball small schools can be National Champions in basketball easier than football. I would hope the same for hockey. Great subject. Also for the Lakers I want to say good show to the young Men on the play-offs. They beat OSU, and were competitive against ND and when down kept fighting twice to get back in the games. I wish the ones leaving all the best and hope they remember their Alma mater. Great topic finally.

Comment

No matter what happens with LSSU hockey with all this Big Ten talk happening, they can never take away the time when the Lakers were the most feared team in college hockey. Other schools were afraid every time they'd see those jerseys with the larger than life anchor on them coming into their arena.

Few programs in the country can match what Lake State has done, and I will be forever proud of the little school from the U.P. that shocked the college hockey world in 1988 and then went on and kicked everyone's butts throughout the early 1990s.

GO LAKERS! (insert loud ship horn here and let's all go put on our chooks and hit the hell out of that bell!)

Comment

Originally posted by DB Cooper View Post

Let's say the BTHC does form and Minnesota bolts, I think you would most likely see a "for show" legislative movement to keep them in the WCHA, but it will have little effect, much like the congressional hearings on the BCS.... were they "technically" a government inquistion into the matter? yes, but I think it's safe to say that nobody really expected any changes to come from those hearings, and thus far they have not.

The Gophers leaving would be a major shock to the system of Minnesota hockey; while there are plenty of respectable division 1 teams across the state, the Gophers are absolutely the backbone of Minnesota college hockey ( much like the state of Texas with Division 1 football, Texas Tech, Texas, A&M, Baylor, and to a lesser extent Rice, North Texas, etc. all are legitimate programs and have solid fanbases, but the Longhorns are the "alpha male" of programs in the state, no bones about it).

Minnesota leaving its deep roots in the WCHA would signal a marginalizing of tradition in favor of more money, exposure, and (arguably) chance for more success...I believe this "cold shoulder" by the Gophers towards the idea of tradition for a gain in the other factors mentioned may make it more likely for schools like MTU, Minnesota State, etc. to consider joining a conference like the "mid-major" CCHA that I proposed in a post yesterday....kind of like a " if the Gophers can change conferences then it's ok for us too" (in the same vein of when a child sees his parents cussing and decides that it is acceptable for them to do the same)....

of course these teams coming to the "new" CCHA is in the case that Miami and ND move to the WCHA, which as I have said earlier, I am not convinced will happen.. If I am the athletic director at one of those 2 schools it is going to take one hell of a sales pitch to get me to switch to a conference that is going to cost my school more money for traveling expenses paired with a reduced chance of wins, conference titles, NCAA bids, etc....The counter argument to that is that ND and Miami wouldn't want to be in a conference with much less "prestige" than the WCHA or the BTHC but I don't know, as long as the CCHA holds on to it's automatic bid I think the ND and Miami could be content with being guaranteed 25+ wins or so every year in a conference like that, especially since it's likely that whichever one of them doesn't get the automatic bid, would probably get an at-large bid to the NCAA tourney anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
                      No matter what happens with LSSU hockey with all this Big Ten talk happening, they can never take away the time when the Lakers were the most feared team in college hockey. Other schools were afraid every time they'd see those jerseys with the larger than life anchor on them coming into their arena.

Few programs in the country can match what Lake State has done, and I will be forever proud of the little school from the U.P. that shocked the college hockey world in 1988 and then went on and kicked everyone's butts throughout the early 1990s.

GO LAKERS! (insert loud ship horn here and let's all go put on our chooks and hit the hell out of that bell!)
                      At the Frozen Four last year in Detroit, a banner for each of the schools whose hockey team had won a national title had been hung on one side of the rink. On each banner was the year, or years, that the particular team had won the playoffs. I was proud to see the LSSU banner, with multiple years, and noted how few of the division one programs had ever won a title. I plan to go to the frozen four this year and look forward to seeing the banners.

Some on this forum have speculated that various league realignments will help to increase the popularity, and number of division one college hockey programs. I am sceptical that college hockey could spread into non traditional markets. Witness the chronically thin support for many of the U.S. based NHL teams. In addition, I admit to being a bit protective of the sport, and don't want to see it sold to the lowest common denominator of fans with inevitably silly promotions. College hockey in california? Please. I know how that sounds, but I like the traditional teams in their traditional arenas, preferably old, run down and nearly obsolete. Find sand, insert head.

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
                        Let's say the BTHC does form and Minnesota bolts, I think you would most likely see a "for show" legislative movement to keep them in the WCHA, but it will have little effect, much like the congressional hearings on the BCS.... were they "technically" a government inquistion into the matter? yes, but I think it's safe to say that nobody really expected any changes to come from those hearings, and thus far they have not.

The Gophers leaving would be a major shock to the system of Minnesota hockey; while there are plenty of respectable division 1 teams across the state, the Gophers are absolutely the backbone of Minnesota college hockey ( much like the state of Texas with Division 1 football, Texas Tech, Texas, A&M, Baylor, and to a lesser extent Rice, North Texas, etc. all are legitimate programs and have solid fanbases, but the Longhorns are the "alpha male" of programs in the state, no bones about it).

Minnesota leaving its deep roots in the WCHA would signal a marginalizing of tradition in favor of more money, exposure, and (arguably) chance for more success...I believe this "cold shoulder" by the Gophers towards the idea of tradition for a gain in the other factors mentioned may make it more likely for schools like MTU, Minnesota State, etc. to consider joining a conference like the "mid-major" CCHA that I proposed in a post yesterday....kind of like a " if the Gophers can change conferences then it's ok for us too" (in the same vein of when a child sees his parents cussing and decides that it is acceptable for them to do the same)....

of course these teams coming to the "new" CCHA is in the case that Miami and ND move to the WCHA, which as I have said earlier, I am not convinced will happen.. If I am the athletic director at one of those 2 schools it is going to take one hell of a sales pitch to get me to switch to a conference that is going to cost my school more money for traveling expenses paired with a reduced chance of wins, conference titles, NCAA bids, etc....The counter argument to that is that ND and Miami wouldn't want to be in a conference with much less "prestige" than the WCHA or the BTHC but I don't know, as long as the CCHA holds on to it's automatic bid I think the ND and Miami could be content with being guaranteed 25+ wins or so every year in a conference like that, especially since it's likely that whichever one of them doesn't get the automatic bid, would probably get an at-large bid to the NCAA tourney anyway...

If the conference situation prompts Notre Dame to shop the hockey program, I would be suprised if they didn't also look east. Their athletic department has traditionally shunned affiliation with any conference. They have rejected overtures from the Big Ten conference on multiple ocassions when they have been approached regarding their football team. In fact, the only fixed conference deal they have agreed to in football is with the Big East, for a contracted number of games each year against member schools. When they realized an independent basketball team was going to be at a disadvantage in getting a spot in post season play, and that conference playoffs were cash rich, again they looked to the Big East, and affiliated in basketball and non revenue sports. That being said, with their new arena, and recent elite status, is there a spot for them in an eastern conference? Remember, for Notre Dame, increased costs such as travel expenses are insignificant.

Comment

I see Michigan Tech made it 3 coaches let go this off season. Let's hope Lake State makes it 4.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...ut_russell.php
                          Go Lakers!

Comment

Originally posted by Laker54 View Post
                            I see Michigan Tech made it 3 coaches let go this off season. Let's hope Lake State makes it 4.

Don't hold your breath. Ain't gonna happen.

Comment

Originally posted by MeridianStreet View Post
                              Don't hold your breath. Ain't gonna happen.
                              do you hve info or re you just speculating?

Comment

Originally posted by Laker54 View Post

I guess that signature win against Lake State last season wasn't enough to save his job. Tech needed a bigger PR machine like Roque has up in the Soo.

Roque has nothing to worry about he ain't going anywhere. After six years and his record on and off the ice and dwindling attendance, he must feel like he has the ultimate in job security. It is all about controlling the conversation and the message, or just flat out ignoring it. The fan forum is prime example of that. Look at how the attack dogs go after anyone that dares question this coach and the lack of results on the ice.

Roque has positioned himself well within the university, has the right supporters in place around the Soo, and having Crawford broadcasting the games can only help his cause, due to his total obedience to stay on the Roque message.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of those same supporters might be financially backing the new Norris Center renovations. That is just speculation but something to ponder. We have seen and heard examples of what happens when you question or stand up to this coach. A few players and coaches could refresh your memory.

Year 7 of the Roque Administration will be here soon enough. Send the letters, post on the forum, but nothing will change and we will be having the same worn out and tired conversation next year at this time. More and more people, who love Laker hockey and have for years, are not happy with the direction, results, and same old excuses being made year after year after year. Have to get used to it one more year and you will see fewer and fewer people at the games because of it.
                                Last edited by Truth Serum; 03-18-2011, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X