This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LSSU Laker Hockey

I am not sure who is in charge of or how much influence the Lakers have when it comes to setting up their schedule but the ball has really been dropped on two occasions this year, the first being the Lakers having an away series during I 500 weekend which has been the case as well in past years...that is one of the biggest tourist weekends of the year in the Soo and my guess is that ticket sales would certainly take a large jump for that weekend...the only reason i can think of not having a home series then is for the fear of people under the influence coming to the game under the influence after the snowmobile race on saturday...

My response to that is 1. it's a weekend college sporting event, if anyone is naive enough to think that people aren't doing this already then the need a reality check and
    2. there is a public safety officer manning every section of every home game anyways, most of the time they just stand there twiddling their thumbs, with this being a university who advertises their criminal justice program, these public safety officers should theoretically be up to the task of handling some potentially rowdy fans shouldn't they? It's not like alcohol is served at the games and if nothing else the rink would figure to be substantially louder.....

The second scheduling gaffe involves the series in two weeks with Miami... now hopefully the Lakers will wind up hosting a first round playoff matchup but nothing is guaranteed with that and certainly wasn't when the schedule was made up so why in the world was the Lakers final home series of the regular season, and most importantly senior night on Saturday scheduled for a weekend when the vast majority of students will be gone on the first weekend of spring break?? This years senior class involves many players who have recieved regular playing time for nearly all of their eligibility here, BMW is in the top 5 all time in several of LSSU's goaltending categories, Will Acton and Chad Nehring have made steady offensive contributions, Cowie and Stonehouse have been durable in manning the blueline and Rick Schofield has been the team's most clutch and consistent offensive performer all in the last 4 seasons..it is an absolute slap in the face to these players that their senior night and potentially their last game in Taffy is scheduled on a night when there will likely be less than 1,000 people in the stands, almost none of which will include students such as myself who have appreciated the efforts of these players during their time here...The only way (and it is a longshot) to rectify this situation would be if the Lakers could luck out and get 6 points this weekend to clinch a home playoff series, then the school could move the senior night ceremony to the Saturday of the home playoff series. This is not necessarily likely to happen but if the Lakers were able to clinch home ice this weekend then I would IMPLORE the school to make this scheduling change.

Comment

Originally posted by AnchorsAway View Post
      The only way (and it is a longshot) to rectify this situation would be if the Lakers could luck out and get 6 points this weekend to clinch a home playoff series, then the school could move the senior night ceremony to the Saturday of the home playoff series. This is not necessarily likely to happen but if the Lakers were able to clinch home ice this weekend then I would IMPLORE the school to make this scheduling change.
      Correct me if I am wrong but.... who's to say, if they did go out and get 5 or 6 points this weekend that they wouldn't end up as the 5th seed and then be on the road after a bye week? My understanding is that depending on what WM and FS do, the 4th and 5th seeds are still up for grabs for LSSU. Only the 1, 2 and 3 seeds are out of reach as of now.

Comment

The CCHA determines the schedule and allows for very little input from member schools. The schedule is set over a year in advance. Changing dates is very difficult as both schools have to agree on those changes. As to the I-500, it has not brought in more fans for home games in the past and has actually hurt the gate. It has nothing to do with drunk fans.
        Last edited by whitefishpt; 02-14-2011, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Some of the calls over the weekend were tough to figure out, but in general I thought the refs did a good job. Their influence on the outcomes of the games was minimal, and the games had a good flow. Often, the opposite occurs because of poor officiating. The stronger of the two refs is clearly the taller man (?shergott?). I have liked the way he has called games in the past. He is one of the few CCHA refs that is not intent on making it a non checking league.

I continue to be impressed with the Alaska team. They clearly are recruiting a smaller quicker player, as opposed to the Laker's coaches general preference for a taller, rangier player. They show great discipline, but do seem to lack scorers, like a lot of teams.

In addition to the previously mentioned Lakers, I think Hobbins and Jean were particularly improved this weekend. Jean seems to have found out how to better utilize his size, in combination with good skills. Hobbins has been very effective and smart on the ice. If the Laker program red shirted the freshman, as many of the other programs are able to do, I believe Hobbins would be a very sound player in his 5th year.

Comment

Originally posted by whitefishpt View Post
            The CCHA determines the schedule and allows for very little input from member schools. The schedule is set over a year in advance. Changing dates is very difficult as both schools have to agree on those changes. As to the I-500, it has not brought in more fans for home games in the past and has actually hurt the gate. It has nothing to do with drunk fans.
            Good points. Plus, most colleges have the same Spring Break. As for the weekends before and after Spring Break, half of the teams are going to be home and half of the teams are on the road. What can you do?

Comment

Originally posted by Anchorsaweigh! View Post
              Correct me if I am wrong but.... who's to say, if they did go out and get 5 or 6 points this weekend that they wouldn't end up as the 5th seed and then be on the road after a bye week? My understanding is that depending on what WM and FS do, the 4th and 5th seeds are still up for grabs for LSSU. Only the 1, 2 and 3 seeds are out of reach as of now.
              It's possible but were 6 points out of 4th, 3 points out of 5th and in a 3 way tie for 6th...granted one of the 3 tied teams (Alaska) only has 1 series left while every other team in play has 2 series left, but i'm just looking at the odds, and its a much more likely scenario that the Lakers would end up in 6th 7th or 8th than 4th or 5th

Comment

Originally posted by whitefishpt View Post
                I was not aware of this, that certainly makes a lot of sense then, thanks for the info!

Comment

It's possible but were 6 points out of 4th, 3 points out of 5th and in a 3 way tie for 6th...granted one of the 3 tied teams (Alaska) only has 1 series left while every other team in play has 2 series left, but i'm just looking at the odds, and its a much more likely scenario that the Lakers would end up in 6th 7th or 8th than 4th or 5th
                  Yah, at this point I'm more concerned that they get enough points to finish no lower than 8th place, and thus home ice for round one, than I am with them getting enough points to finish 4th or 5th. If they do finish 4th or 5th that would be great, but I'd settle for 6th through 8th based upon where they are now and how few games are left. Both remaining series are going to be tough; OSU on the road and Miami at home.

Comment

My guess..4th WMU + NMU 44pts...6th Ferris 41pts...7th OSU 40pts...8th AK 38pts...9th LSSU 35pts..10th MSU 34pts...1th BGSU 14pts

Comment

The past few years, the Lakers have had more success at OSU than at other CCHA arenas. Let's sure hope the trend continues into this weekend.
                      LSSU hockey-3 time NCAA champs 1988, 1992, 1994

Comment

I am not sure who is in charge of or how much influence the Lakers have when it comes to setting up their schedule but the ball has really been dropped on two occasions this year, the first being the Lakers having an away series during I 500 weekend which has been the case as well in past years...that is one of the biggest tourist weekends of the year in the Soo and my guess is that ticket sales would certainly take a large jump for that weekend...
                        Actually, the opposite is true. Both the Lakers and Blue Devils high school hockey team have played on I-500 weekend, and both have no desire to host a home series on that particular weekend again. The Lakers played to some of their smallest crowds ever in the past when they went head-to-head with the I-500.

Comment

Originally posted by Anchorsaweigh! View Post
                          To get a bye the Lakers would need to win 3 out of 4 which will be really tough.

Western plays at Michigan this weekend, and then a home and home with Notre Dame. I only see Western getting 1 or 2 more points this year.

Comment

The #5 seed seems like a bad place to end up. You get a first round bye, but then you have to travel in round two. You don't get to host a series.

Comment

Originally posted by DopeyBaker View Post
                              The #5 seed seems like a bad place to end up. You get a first round bye, but then you have to travel in round two. You don't get to host a series.
                              While that's truth, the road to the final 4 is much easier as a 5 seed than a 6 or 7 seed. I'd much rather have to travel through Ferris or Western than ND, Michigan or Miami.

Comment

Lakers have to sweep Ohio State and the seed issue doesn't mean anything at this point. Only thing that counts right now is winning .

Comment

Working...
                                X