No announcement yet.

We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

Just trying to keep Tech relevant to NHL hockey...

Comment

• Re: We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

I applaud Staubitz more, for actually standing in and giving it a go. That was a huge mismatch.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
        I applaud Staubitz more, for actually standing in and giving it a go. That was a huge mismatch.
        He wasn't exactly given a choice any way haha. But that is what you get for doing that on an icing.

Comment

Originally posted by Yager View Post
          He wasn't exactly given a choice any way haha. But that is what you get for doing that on an icing.
          It wasn't even that bad of a hit. At least Chi's 3rd guy in backed off right away and let Scott handle it.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
            It wasn't even that bad of a hit. At least Chi's 3rd guy in backed off right away and let Scott handle it.
            No, I don't think he really even clipped him. But the Chicago guy had pulled up, otherwise it would have been at least a solid hit, but in a compromising time and in poor taste. It is all the same to an enforcer. It is like taking a swing at someone but missing, things are not the same before and after.

Comment

No, I don't think he really even clipped him. But the Chicago guy had pulled up, otherwise it would have been at least a solid hit, but in a compromising time and in poor taste. It is all the same to an enforcer. It is like taking a swing at someone but missing, things are not the same before and after.
              I'm looking more at the time gap between the whistle and the hit, although the actual hit obviously has to come into play. I could see a little facewash, or shoving, but to go all out I thought was a little much. And I am a fan of both Staubitz and Scott.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                I'm looking more at the time gap between the whistle and the hit, although the actual hit obviously has to come into play. I could see a little facewash, or shoving, but to go all out I thought was a little much. And I am a fan of both Staubitz and Scott.
                Scott has to draw attention to himself, lest he be in the minors for good. He is there to do just that, him not stepping up there would probably leave a bad taste in Quenneville's mouth.
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                  A poll of fans:

Will Jamie stay?

(not what you want to happen but what you think will_
                  I'd also guess that Jamie stays. Are people pretty confident that Jamie has one more season on his contract? Anyone know for certain?

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                    I'd also guess that Jamie stays. Are people pretty confident that Jamie has one more season on his contract? Anyone know for certain?
                    My understanding is Jamie has 1 more year and lead asst Pat Mikesch has 1 more year.
                    Can they win 10 games next year ? I think that is certainly possible but then what ?
                    My thoughts are they will have to have this team at .500 after the GLI to have any chance to be extended. Then is it 2 years, 3 years ????
                    I am sure recruiting will suffer if there is always a bounty on the coaches head.
                    My predition is he will be let go after the GLI next year and Mikesch can finish the year while the do their " National Search "

Comment

I agree. I was watching that game on Vs and as soon as I heard the Staubitz hit my first through was "Is Scott on the ice?". Then I saw my first replay of the hit and agree that you could make an argument that Staubitz didn't even make contact with Campbell because he had held up. Staubitz got 95% glass, but paid a bit of a price just for the thought that he could have put a bit lick on the Hawks Dman had he skated through the play.

Ryan J
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Houghton77 View Post
                        My understanding is Jamie has 1 more year and lead asst Pat Mikesch has 1 more year.
                        Can they win 10 games next year ? I think that is certainly possible but then what ?
                        My thoughts are they will have to have this team at .500 after the GLI to have any chance to be extended. Then is it 2 years, 3 years ????
                        I am sure recruiting will suffer if there is always a bounty on the coaches head.
                        My predition is he will be let go after the GLI next year and Mikesch can finish the year while the do their " National Search "
                        Could be. However if they start fast like this year then they could still be .500 by GLI, even if they are a bad team. I believe it's the last year for the Superior showcase, and a game vs Northern would most likely be there too. So I don't think the schedule will be too difficult early.
                        I expect a 2 year, just because it's hard enough to justify an extension at all. Personally I'd rather they do it now and get it over with.
                        Last edited by manurespreader; 03-02-2011, 06:46 AM.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Morning everyone, drive time notes with Jamie, no new information in here:
                          On Gophers Series:
                          MN played extremely well, especially on big ice
                          Depth caught up to us
                          D core 1-5 had a sold weekend, 1st line very solid as well
                          Timely goals by MN
                          Fri night, go up 1-0 by Holmberg, next shift want to build on momentum, but Gophs score on next shift
                          Gordic has done a great job, and Furne and Johnstone all continue to produce on top line
                          Gordic has great reach, hands and can finish, leading our team in goals
                          encouraging to see freshmen leading this team, PP goal on Saturday was a terrific goal by these three

On Senior Day on Sat:
                          Tiny senior class with Royer/Cousens
                          There will be a blueline luncheon for those two and the equipment manager that's a senior
                          Postgame gathering at Ramada Inn

Playing UND:
                          Very odd situation playing same time 4 times, possibly 5 in such a short span
                          We're locked in to our spot, DU could be co-champion with them
                          Don't want to tip your cards to what you're going to do in playoffs, but want to plant a seed of dought in UND's mind
                          Will be a challenge against the #1 team in UND

Comment

Interesting. Apparently he likes the pp... which I hate!. I think they ought to bring the weak side winger into the high slot, collapsing the box, and rotate the weak side defenseman down to the top of the circle. This get's more of the team involved in offense and is a bigger problem for the other team to handle, though yes it is a defensive risk and lord knows we give up a lot of shorties. I just think we have to do a better job on special teams given our system which limits our offensive chances.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                              Interesting. Apparently he likes the pp... which I hate!. I think they ought to bring the weak side winger into the high slot, collapsing the box, and rotate the weak side defenseman down to the top of the circle. This get's more of the team involved in offense and is a bigger problem for the other team to handle, though yes it is a defensive risk and lord knows we give up a lot of shorties. I just think we have to do a better job on special teams given our system which limits our offensive chances.
                              Coach Russell played defence and he thinks defence first. Maybe not the worst thought when your opponent is more talented that you are. I know when Pete Rouleau played he always felt he was restricted offensively. So I would not hold your breath thinking that Tech will open up the offense in the near future. The few wins they do get will be
                              2 - 1 & 3 - 2 for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                                Regardless of what happens with jamie I think the program is going to get a lot more expensive. I think if we want a competitive program we as a group of fans have to help them find more money.
                                Other than coaching, what would more money do to turn the program around and attract better players? We're certainly not going to build a new arena when we can't fill the one we have.

Before I give a dime to Tech hockey, I need to know the current financials for the program. Does it make money or lose money? What's our share of GLI? Do we get shared dollars from the WCHA? What is the revenue from attendance? What are the expenses?

After 30 years of bad hockey, it's time for an objective review of the program and a clear commitment from the Administration. Has anyone heard Pres. Mroz say anything about the hockey program? Is there a plan? I'm tired of sitting around singing Glory Days...
                                "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                                Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                                X