No announcement yet.

We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

Originally posted by Yooper Scooper View Post
    I don't think the hockey program is going anywhere. I have always been under the impression that Rick Yeo was asked to leave as athletic director after he tried to eliminate the football program. (Of course, he was replaced around the same time Tompkins was fired and Mroz became interim President. I'm too lazy to look up if they both happened in the same year). Also, why would the University let the Opies donate a million bucks for the suites if they won't be used?

Ultimately, you're right, though, about Mroz having to try to keep the doors open. I have it on very good authority that in one of the Engineering departments a professor is retiring and he won't be replaced next year. All this because of State of Michigan budget cuts.
    good god!

Rick Yeo retired to Palm Springs to play golf. he wasn't fired.

Sertie came in to stabilize the program when Watters was fired. he did a d^^n good job in my opinion.

MTU still has a very viable hockey program. we just need to get back into that "any given weekend" status. DU already had their 4 points counted up when we got to Denver.

Suzanne is definitely not losing her job. I think Jamie stays too. he runs a good clean program with alot of alumni support.
    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

• Re: We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

I agree. Suzanne isn't going anywhere in a million years. And Russell will be back next year as well. I agree about Sertich as well.

You're right. I got my dates mixed up. I'll grant you Yeo wasn't asked to leave. But from what I understand he was the one who spear-headed the effort to possibly eliminate the football team in 2003 due to funding constraints until the alumni stepped up. Go and look at the football All-American display at the SDC. The old ones all had Rick Yeo's signature. A few years ago they were all replaced with new ones without his signature.
      Last edited by Yooper Scooper; 02-22-2011, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Morning everyone.

No Jamie today, Patrick McCadden was in studio for drive time:
        His goal against BSU - their goalie was playign the puck and it landed on his stick and he put in the open net
        His goal last week against DU, SH he was just trying to put it on net and it went in

A lot of pressure late in the game last friday, felt pretty good when we got the W
        Work on his faceoffs a lot, he was brought here to take faceoffs and he's trying to improve
        Faceoffs are a lot of anticipation, looking to see what the other guy will do and then come up with a plan of how to beat him, also watch a lot of video for other players

On ice time as a freshmen:
        not expecting this much ice
        A couple of injuries and couple guys leaving the team, resulted in a lot of ice time
        It's been great, just want to help the team

Differences from juniors:
        Stregth of the guys in college is a big change

Likes playing with Gubb, been together for a few weekends now and starting to figure out how each other play

On UMN:
        Fast team
        If we take a body on them we should have some success

Favorite road trip: GLI
        Impressive WCHA rink: UW
        Major: Marketing

Comment

So the question is, is Jamie still in town, or is he directing his team from an undisclosed Super 8 in Venezuela?
          Also: It's good to see some new posters on here. Keep it up, misinformed nonsense or no.
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
            So the question is, is Jamie still in town, or is he directing his team from an undisclosed Super 8 in Venezuela?
            Also: It's good to see some new posters on here. Keep it up, misinformed nonsense or no.
            A radical change is in order right now ! I don't know if Tech can come up with the money to buy out the current coaching staff and afford a new coach. They are down about as low as they can go. I still feel trying to grab a coach from a smaller school that has had some success recruiting is the way to go. Maybe a young hotshot USHL coach is another option. But they have to try to go away from the parade of former players. That is just not working !

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              Why were Mike Sertich, Newell Brown, Herb Boxer and Bob Mancini able to have better records in their other coaching stops than they did at Tech? Were they much better coaches in other organizations? No matter who has been there since John MacInnes retired, success has been elusive. Why? What are the underlying problems that have hindered all of these guys? What can be done to alleviate them? Because if you can't answer these questions, the next guy, whether the next year, the year after or 10 years from now, won't have much more success than his predecessors.
              You are absolutely correct.

My contention is that the AD, her predecessor(s) and her boss(es) cannot or will not even try to answer those questions which is why the Perpetual Losing Culture is tolerated. They fiddled while the Tech Hockey tradition burned to the point where only fans with gray hair were around when winning was the expectation and 'embarrassment' was a word never associated with Huskies.

Comment

Originally posted by Houghton77 View Post
                A radical change is in order right now ! I don't know if Tech can come up with the money to buy out the current coaching staff and afford a new coach. They are down about as low as they can go. I still feel trying to grab a coach from a smaller school that has had some success recruiting is the way to go. Maybe a young hotshot USHL coach is another option. But they have to try to go away from the parade of former players. That is just not working !
                I know that the USHL's Green Bay Gamblers coach's name has been tossed around. I think Shirtless brought him up. Personally, I don't know much about him. I still think it is Cary Eades and then everyone else. Is there a highly regarded assistant on Comley's staff, that may be looking for something different after Comley retires? I wouldn't be too excited about a guy from Comley's staff, but you have to conduct an extensive search, if thats the route chosen.

I hope Penn St. is looking for its coach out east, so we don't have to compete directly with them for a coach, because if we do, we'll get the second choice.

There are 2 excellent examples of what Tech should model the program after, and the potential success that can result from making the right decisions. I hope Suzanne is taking note of what they've done at Merrimack and RPI, because both were in the same boat as Tech not very long ago, and there are several similarities between Tech and these schools, regarding recruiting difficulties.
                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  I know that the USHL's Green Bay Gamblers coach's name has been tossed around. I think Shirtless brought him up. Personally, I don't know much about him. I still think it is Cary Eades and then everyone else. Is there a highly regarded assistant on Comley's staff, that may be looking for something different after Comley retires? I wouldn't be too excited about a guy from Comley's staff, but you have to conduct an extensive search, if thats the route chosen.

I hope Penn St. is looking for its coach out east, so we don't have to compete directly with them for a coach, because if we do, we'll get the second choice.

There are 2 excellent examples of what Tech should model the program after, and the potential success that can result from making the right decisions. I hope Suzanne is taking note of what they've done at Merrimack and RPI, because both were in the same boat as Tech not very long ago, and there are several similarities between Tech and these schools, regarding recruiting difficulties.
                  I think Eric Rud from GB would be a good candidate. Eades is another solid choice for any D-I head coaching position that opens up. Don't hold your breath on trying to compete with Penn State for a coaching candidate. Even if, by some stroke of good fortune, Tech could offer the same money, they can't offer the big time atmosphere that the Big Ten schools have. Unless the guys really loves Ambassador Pizza and KBC beer, or has family ties to the area, you wouldn't stand a chance.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I am not one of those people that believes that no one would be interested in coaching at MTU. There are only 58 college hockey head coaches, there are only so many openings every year (two or three on a good year, and some years have none). If there is a job opening at the Division 1 Level there are going to be interested coaches.
                    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      I think Eric Rud from GB would be a good candidate. Eades is another solid choice for any D-I head coaching position that opens up. Don't hold your breath on trying to compete with Penn State for a coaching candidate. Even if, by some stroke of good fortune, Tech could offer the same money, they can't offer the big time atmosphere that the Big Ten schools have. Unless the guys really loves Ambassador Pizza and KBC beer, or has family ties to the area, you wouldn't stand a chance.
                      Here is my list of candidates from the previous thread.
                      College Asisstants:
                      Cary Eades - UND Top Assistant
                      Steve Rohlik - OSU Top Assitant
                      Steve Miller - DU Top Assitant
                      Mike Guentzel - UNO Assitant
                      Ron Rolston - USNDPT
                      Mel Pearson - Michigan Top Assitant

USHL Head Coaches:
                      Eric Rud - Green Bay
                      Mark Carlson - Cedar Rapids
                      Mike Montgomery - Dubuque
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                        I am not one of those people that believes that no one would be interested in coaching at MTU. There are only 58 college hockey head coaches, there are only so many openings every year (two or three on a good year, and some years have none). If there is a job opening at the Division 1 Level there are going to be interested coaches.
                        There will certainly be interested coaches. But if a Penn State or Michigan State or Minnesota wants that same guy to be their head coach, the chances are slim. The same holds true in the recruiting wars for players. You may pull an upset here or there, but you're not going to win most of those battles. That's just the reality of the college hockey landscape today.
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Did anyone else catch this gem: MTU and Cal Tech both broke their losing streaks in the same week. Michigan Tech's winless streak lasted 26 games, Cal Tech's (conference) winless streak lasted 26 YEARS!
                          http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/417305...ge_basketball/

Ryan J
                          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                          Originally posted by geezer
                          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                          Originally posted by manurespreader
                          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                            If Suzanne chooses to head down the path of a new coach, don't forget we will also be competing with MSU this offseason, even though some think that Danton Cole has that job in his back pocket. It's likely that there could be one or two other programs out there looking to make a change too.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              Here is my list of candidates from the previous thread.
                              College Asisstants:
                              Cary Eades - UND Top Assistant
                              Steve Rohlik - OSU Top Assitant
                              Steve Miller - DU Top Assitant
                              Mike Guentzel - UNO Assitant
                              Ron Rolston - USNDPT
                              Mel Pearson - Michigan Top Assitant

USHL Head Coaches:
                              Eric Rud - Green Bay
                              Mark Carlson - Cedar Rapids
                              Mike Montgomery - Dubuque
                              Very solid list of canidates but MTU has had no luck with hiring assistant coaches ( ie: Jamie Russell ). You just don't know if they have any recruiting power.

So again I am going to list some head coaches from smaller schools that have had at least moderate success at the Division 1 level:

Nate Leaman - Union
                              Jeff Blashill - Western Michigan
                              Seth Appert - RPI
                              Wayne Wilson - RIT
                              Dallas Ferguson - Alaska, Fairbanks ( if he can recruit players to the North Pole he should be able to recruit into Houghton, MI )

Would any of the guys come to Michigan Tech I don't know - But I would exhaust this list before I would hire another assistant coach.

Comment

You do understand that most, if not all of those guys are under long-term contract, right? So to even get their foot in the door, Tech would have to offer to pay them off, plus whatever penalties may apply for breaking their existing contract with their current employer. We're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars here.

This is why you don't see too many NCAA head coaches get hired away until their existing contracts are up for renewal.
                                Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 02-23-2011, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X