No announcement yet.

We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

I guess with some justification, everyone points at Jamie when it comes to W's and L's, however with the number of man games lost to injury, MacInnes couldn't coach this time to a 0.500 record. I think it is chicken and the egg when it comes to a coach and talent. Does great talent make the coach look good or does a good coach make better players want to join the team?
    Just look at the number of talented NHL level players that came through the doors during the MacInnes era. Now we would have a hard time putting together one line of NHL level players from the last decade combined. Sutton and Scott have been at least solid NHL regulars on the line and Wilson has had a sniff. Putting Teslak in net is a serious stretch (or back up even farther to Rhodes) and up front you are looking at Durno, Conner and one-year wonder Ruutu. Now put those Tech teams up against others in the WCHA who in come cases have multiple NHL top draft picks playing on the same line.
    You can have the greatest coach in the world, but if your talent level isn't on par with other teams you're playing, there is only so much a coach can get out of them. Don't fool yourself into thinking that the other coaches are coasting. They are trying to the get the most out of their players too, but they are starting with a little more raw talent.
    It sucks to keep having this debate and keep laying the lack of wins at Russel's feet. As a started, I do agree that ultimately the head coach is the guy in charge, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that simply because we spend $2M on a coach, suddenly Houghton again becomes the center of the D-I hockey world.
    Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Re: We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
      As a started, I do agree that ultimately the head coach is the guy in charge, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking that simply because we spend $2M on a coach, suddenly Houghton again becomes the center of the D-I hockey world.
      Ryan J
      But, if we spent $3M on a coach, then we would have something.
      Originally posted by SCSU Euro
      What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

I just think that after three seasons of the same, there are no excuses anymore - find the money and make a change. On a good night, it seems like we're getting 110% effort out of one line and everyone else is content to go through the motions instead of digging in. Giving up a lazy breakaway goal in the final two minutes of a scoreless game is a clear indication of this. With ten minutes to play, who was on the bench saying - "Look, Kevin's stood on his head, it's time to get a fcking goal and win the game."

We can point to injuries all we want, but going winless in 26 is absolutely fcking ********. We can't BUY a win at this point. Hell, we can't even LUCK our way into a win.

Comment

Well, [three paragraphs redacted] !!!
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

You know I doubt that if gwoz was somewhere besides DU that he would have as much success, and look at the assets umtc puts into hockey and where they are ,... in the second division.
            I think Tech hockey can be great again, and man I hate losing, but I think it will take a lot of discipline on the part of all the stakeholders and a serious financial commitment. I agree that given the changes coming down the road, the same old thing will no longer be acceptable. The question is how to best address this to move forward from here.

what I think is totally unacceptable is to let ourselves languish in an emasculated wcha, and continue with things as they are. Whatever changes are coming, imho we should make sure we are in a position that we can play with the big boys not just some hick schools from minnesota. I think whatever happens with the coach has to be decided with these changes in mind.
            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              what I think is totally unacceptable is to let ourselves languish in an emasculated wcha, and continue with things as they are. Whatever changes are coming, imho we should make sure we are in a position that we can play with the big boys not just some hick schools from minnesota. I think whatever happens with the coach has to be decided with these changes in mind.
              Exactly. Don't know if they can pull it off, but if it comes down to the "anti-BTHC" forming with DU, UND, Miami, Notre Dame..etc. Tech needs to find some way to get in that conference. I doubt they will be able to.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                if it comes down to the "anti-BTHC" forming with DU, UND, Miami, Notre Dame..etc. Tech needs to find some way to get in that conference. I doubt they will be able to.
                We're a shoe in... We've got the MacNaughton Cup. If the anti-BTHC still snubs us, then we'll take it with us to the CCHA Leftovers Conference and maybe even put our name on it again. No wait, we'll go independent and award the MacNaughton Cup to the nation's best D-I independent. UAH should have a conference by then should we should have a legit shot at winning it. Of course Bye Week has looked strong in recent years, they can't be counted out either.
                Ryan J

The 1981-82 season saw Michigan Tech University leave the WCHA to join the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (CCHA). Since Michigan Tech is the trustee of the Cup, the Cup went to the CCHA also. When Michigan Tech returned to the WCHA for the 1984-85 season the MacNaughton Cup also returned.
                Source: WCHA 50th Anniversary Yearbook

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

5 Huskies will be honored with the WCHA student athlete awards this year. These will be given out during the North Dakota series.I noticed that two of them are majoring in Engineering.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Jamie's drivetime notes:
                    On Gordic's goal Fri night, pass from Johnstone behind the net:
                    Nice job on forecheck creating turnover, Johnstone nice feed to Gordic

On Sat night loss:
                    Honestly, none of the losses are easy, devestating every time we lose
                    Played a really good game on Saturday, didn't give up a lot, PK was good, Genoe was good, hit crossbar a few mins before BSU's goal

On Scholar athletes:
                    Our guys have done a great job in class room
                    Even freshman have come in and handled WCHA and the classroom, and travel to UAA, DU, etc.
                    The acadameics of MTU do scare some recruits off a little bit, we make sure all recruits would survive at Tech, if they're ineligable they can't play hockey

On injuries:
                    Olson had an MRI, results are not back, our trainer is meeting with MRI, it looks like he'll be out 2-3 weeks maybe for the year

On DU:
                    We haven't hosted DU since 2008
                    We have a 6AM flight to Chicago then Denver
                    They're #3, great freshman in Zucker, watching him on video he's very fast
                    We've always played well there, NHL size rink
                    Their PP, one or two passes then they shoot, our PK needs to force them to dump in and Kevin will play puck and then clear

Carl Nielson got hit with a puck yesterday, got some stiches, he's pretty sore but he should be able to go

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                      On injuries:
                      Olson had an MRI, results are not back, our trainer is meeting with MRI, it looks like he'll be out 2-3 weeks maybe for the year
                      I'm going to have an aneurysm. This team is trying to kill me.
                      Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
                        I'm going to have an aneurysm. This team is trying to kill me.
                        On the brightside maybe he's missed enough time this year that he comes back for his Senior year to put up bigger numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                          On the brightside maybe he's missed enough time this year that he comes back for his Senior year to put up bigger numbers?
                          no, he's played too much

from the rules:

• The injury or illness must occur prior to the completion of the first half of the playing season that
                          concludes with the NCAA championship in that sport (measured by the number of scheduled contests
                          or dates of competition) and result in incapacity to compete for the remainder of that playing season;
                          and
                          • The injury or illness must occur when the student-athlete has not participated in more than two
                          contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 20 percent (whichever
                          number is greater) of the institution's scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or
                          her sport.

37 ncaa games, 38 if you count Exhibition game

which 20% is only 7.4 games, so if he's played 8 games he can't redshirt, and according to the stats, he's played 18, so he's way over

Comment

I was trying to say that the assumption before the season was that this would be Brett's last year before he signed a contract with an NHL team. Maybe he hasn't put up the numbers to get as much attention as he wants and sticks around for his senior year.

Comment

ahhh, ok, yeah, for some reason I also had in the back of my mind that he was a senior...but i can see that too...

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                                So why would the "big boys" want to play Tech? If you are Minnesota, do want to play Tech or Bemidji or UMD or St. Cloud. My guess is that Tech isn't at the top of that list.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X