No announcement yet.

We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

Originally posted by MTUHOCKEY View Post
    I understand $$ will be a factor but im not saying you need to hire a big name coach at millions a year but I just think you can hire a coach that wont break the bank and they wouldnt be any worse and Tech wont be telling everyone around the program that they are "OK" with losing.
    That's correct too, the program could be a money maker and you could make that money back with a new coach. You can look at Western Michigan, Yale, Princeton, Merrimack, and RPI and see what new coaches have done for them. What's the current coaching budget?

Comment

• Re: We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
      That's correct too, the program could be a money maker and you could make that money back with a new coach. You can look at Western Michigan, Yale, Princeton, Merrimack, and RPI and see what new coaches have done for them. What's the current coaching budget?
      Russell, James G
      Head Coach Hockey
      $121,178.00

I dont know what the budget could be.

Comment

Russell's current salary is about what the budget is, without some kind of significant endowment (not even sure if that would be legal at the D1 level).

Bottom line - they're not going to lure away a successful, "big name" coach for what Tech is able to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Russell's current salary is about what the budget is, without some kind of significant endowment (not even sure if that would be legal at the D1 level).

Bottom line - they're not going to lure away a successful, "big name" coach for what Tech is able to pay.
          I dont think they need a "big name" coach, they need CHANGE. They need to prove to fans, alumni, recruits and everyone that they are not ok with being at the bottom of the WCHA. Even if its a coach that fits the same budget and it is their first head coaching job, they shouldnt be ok with what is current.

Comment

In short, we're ****ed.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              Uhm, there haven't been 8 bad years, the last 3 have been brutal, the first 4 you could see things building...the 5th year was a disappointment but still acceptable. Year's 6, 7 and 8 have seen obscene amounts of injuries with a strange variety. I honestly don't what to think. I can't seem them firing him because of the money and on one hand, all the things I see and experience (outside of the W/L record) makes me say give him his last year UNLESS they actually go hard after someone that we know should be better ala Cary Eades.
              2009-10 Michigan Tech 5 30 1
              2008-09 Michigan Tech 6 25 7
              2007-08 Michigan Tech 14 20 5
              2006-07 Michigan Tech 18 17 5
              2005-06 Michigan Tech 7 25 6
              2004-05 Michigan Tech 8 25 4
              2003-04 Michigan Tech 8 25 5

Being really nice I will give them 2 seasons, but I dont think success is being 500 or a few games under, why shouldnt the goal be to be playing in the NCAA tournament or even hosting a WCHA playoff game for that matter.

Comment

Russell, James G
                Head Coach Hockey
                $121,178.00

I dont know what the budget could be.
                That's a pretty decent salary. I remember reading when Brown was looking for a new coach the salary was $85,000. Do you know what the assistants make?

It'd be interesting to know what the budget is for travel and recruiting.

It probably is time for a change, but buying out and paying off a coach to sit at home in tough economics times, may be hard for the administration. Best of luck in everything...I'd still like to make it out there sometime.

Comment

It probably is time for a change, but buying out and paying off a coach to sit at home in tough economics times, may be hard for the administration. Best of luck in everything...I'd still like to make it out there sometime.
                  I agree its just hard to imagine having to watch this for another season.

Comment

That's a pretty decent salary.
                    In comparison to the WCHA field, it's bottom 3. Right around what Serratore and Shyiak make.

Comment

2009-10 Michigan Tech 5 30 1
                      2008-09 Michigan Tech 6 25 7
                      2007-08 Michigan Tech 14 20 5
                      2006-07 Michigan Tech 18 17 5
                      2005-06 Michigan Tech 7 25 6
                      2004-05 Michigan Tech 8 25 4
                      2003-04 Michigan Tech 8 25 5

Being really nice I will give them 2 seasons, but I dont think success is being 500 or a few games under, why shouldnt the goal be to be playing in the NCAA tournament or even hosting a WCHA playoff game for that matter.
                      In 2006-2007, Michigan Tech finished 17th in the PWR which determine the NCAA Tournament Field...that year the top 14 made it. I'd say that season was quite acceptable. First winning season in 1992-1993, how can you complain about that? It's the slide back to the bottom that is the problem. 2007-2008 was disappointing. If you can't consider 2006-2007 a success you really don't comprehend the situation this program post-MacInnes.
                      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        In comparison to the WCHA field, it's bottom 3. Right around what Serratore and Shyiak make.
                        Serratore probably takes a "Hometown discount" and $115,000 a year in Bemidji is about $175,000-$200,000 in a major city. It'd be interesting see how it compares to NMU, LSSU, and WMU. I remember reading in the WMU threads that Culhane at WMU was around $110,000. Would a coach rather coach in the WCHA or CCHA and make roughly the same amount of money?

Comment

26 ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Comment

Serratore probably takes a "Hometown discount" and $115,000 a year in Bemidji is about $175,000-$200,000 in a major city. It'd be interesting see how it compares to NMU, LSSU, and WMU. I remember reading in the WMU threads that Culhane at WMU was around $110,000. Would a coach rather coach in the WCHA or CCHA and make roughly the same amount of money?
                            Blashill's deal is $150k a year. Can't find anything on BG's new coach. Culhane was $110k. Someone finally pointed out to our AD that if you wanted to finish in the single digits in the conference, you might want to take the sport somewhat seriously.

If Russell has only one year left, your AD should be beating the bushes among the alumni for some cash, since as Moe (one of the few other WMU regulars around here) would say, you never let a coach get into the last year of a contract. Absolutely destroys their recruiting. You either fire or extend.
                            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Well you can count me a Russell supporter.
                              I think he was a good coach when we hired him and he is still a good coach.
                              Certainly there are plenty of things he could do better.
                              I talk to a few older alumni who follow the program but don't say anything. It's their opinion, not mine, that unless and until Tech comes up with the money to pay a big time coach, we will be in the same boat we are in now.
                              Personally the cost of D 1 hockey is going to skyrocket what with the changes going on with the BTHC, and I think all the money we can raise will just barely be enough to compete.
                              I think the WCHA is going to have to be a lot more aggressive than they are right now or the money they get will drop like a rock.
                              I know that st cloud was considering cutting hockey and the students taxed themselves in order to keep it. Also there are a couple of D1 schools here in Michigan who are considering dropping hockey all together depending on how things turn out. Money is a big issue all over.
                              I think whoever is the coach down the road, no matter who he is, deserves a significant raise as does the assistants.
                              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                                If Russell has only one year left, your AD should be beating the bushes among the alumni for some cash...
                                Based on her response to one of the posters here, I think she has been weighing alumni/donor opinions since the GLI. Unlike his email though, I think it's a safe bet that most of the opinions have been negative.

Of course, there will probably be no formal announcement about Russell's future until late March.

Comment

Working...
                                X