No announcement yet.

We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    Attendance tonight of 2708. For a Carny game. Brutal.
    That's just the paid attendance reported by the Institution. The photos from last night couldn't have shown more than 1000 there. I don't think the early Saturday start would've faired much better.

Comment

• Re: We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      I think we can actually agree on something here. With the exception of diehard Misfits and HPB members, the current students just don't care.
      Agreed. The students don't care and haven't cared for a long time. This is not news.

I went back and watched the first game of this weekend to contrast how we did with tonight's. Yesterday we were more effective. We came out better, we had more opportunities and Bimidji had very few times where they were in our zone an extended period.
      Tonight Bimidji came out harder and it showed. They pressured the puck a lot more and we coughed it up, especially at the beginning, As the game wore on we did a better job dealing with it. The first goal last night was a two on one set up by jordan the shrimp.. on exactly the same play as the breakaway goal tonight.
      And also there was, at the end of the game last night, a give away and two on one for them that we defended well. So give credit to Bimidji they played better tonight and we had fewer chances.
      Having said that, and though we had more jump on friday, we still played better than last week overall I think. Brown especially played well, Pietila made things happen, Genoe played impressively, even Doriott played pretty good. The whole team is better. The pp was slightly better but still needs work.Just one pp goal on the weekend would have made a huge difference. The offensive zone play could use improvement, but all in all we did not play bad. The guys have obviously put in a lot of work. I really hope they get rewarded for it.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

But we looked "better" against a team that has about the same amount of talent. Now we travel to Denver, where we usually play OK but lose anyway.

Comment

I apologize for being lazy and not looking back through the thread for the answer to this question...why wasn't Olson in the lineup?

Comment

Originally posted by wild77 View Post
            I apologize for being lazy and not looking back through the thread for the answer to this question...why wasn't Olson in the lineup?
            Hurt last night, if I read right.

I didn't know he was out of the lineup tonight, as during the interruption of the game last night, they said it didn't look serious.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by wild77 View Post
              There was a pileup in the crease during the 1st period on Friday, and his leg got a bit twisted. It was later reported that he was iced down and it didn't look too serious, but they held him out tonight anyway.

Comment

So does anyone really think that Tech should keep Russell? I would love to hear why if you think so.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHOCKEY View Post
                  So does anyone really think that Tech should keep Russell? I would love to hear why if you think so.
                  Where's he at in his contract?

Comment

Not sure, I dont think that should matter at all, his record speaks for itself.

Comment

The only argument so far has been the injury plague, and there has been no answer to that in three years. He can point out that we're breaking bones, not tearing tendons, but when that is what has been happening for three seasons in a row.......

I believe he has a year left, and being a D2 school in Michigan, we're pretty cash strapped. I think an alum will have to step up and make a "conditional donation" if Russell is to be fired.

Comment

The only argument so far has been the injury plague, and there has been no answer to that in three years. He can point out that we're breaking bones, not tearing tendons, but when that is what has been happening for three seasons in a row.......
                        That is an excuse for maybe 1 at the most 2 years but this is his 8th season (69-190-37) you can't defend that.

Comment

I believe he has a year left, and being a D2 school in Michigan, we're pretty cash strapped. I think an alum will have to step up and make a "conditional donation" if Russell is to be fired.
                          Yeah, it'll come down to a money issue. I couldn't see any of the D2 schools here in Minnesota doing it as their budgets are being cut by the state. Bemidji State is cutting men's track and cross country, theater, and art programs. I don't think most small schools can afford to buy out coaches at this time.

Comment

Not trying to defend him anymore, just repeating the facts as they stand. We're all as frustrated as you are.

Comment

Originally posted by thebrain View Post
                              Yeah, it'll come down to a money issue. I couldn't see any of the D2 schools here in Minnesota doing it as their budgets are being cut by the state. Bemidji State is cutting men's track and cross country, theater, and art programs. I don't think most small schools can afford to buy out coaches at this time.
                              I understand $$ will be a factor but im not saying you need to hire a big name coach at millions a year but I just think you can hire a coach that wont break the bank and they wouldnt be any worse and Tech wont be telling everyone around the program that they are "OK" with losing.
                              Last edited by MTUHOCKEY; 02-12-2011, 11:37 PM.

Comment

That is an excuse for maybe 1 at the most 2 years but this is his 8th season (69-190-37) you can't defend that.
                                Uhm, there haven't been 8 bad years, the last 3 have been brutal, the first 4 you could see things building...the 5th year was a disappointment but still acceptable. Year's 6, 7 and 8 have seen obscene amounts of injuries with a strange variety. I honestly don't what to think. I can't seem them firing him because of the money and on one hand, all the things I see and experience (outside of the W/L record) makes me say give him his last year UNLESS they actually go hard after someone that we know should be better ala Cary Eades.
                                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Working...
                                X