No announcement yet.

We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

A different month, same result. Not too much was said in Jamie's interview.

Jamie's postgame thoughts:
    Our offensive zone play was outstanding, good cycling, 2 or 3 grade A chances
    They got a couple good bounces, the SHG bounced of our guys skate
    When it was 2-1 we had a PP, we didn't do a good job getting set up
    We had a slow start, everyone's 3rd shift we regrouped and got things going
    We had opportunities to make plays and we turned it over
    We played a short bench, which could be a factor later in games

Comment

• Re: We Cannot Have Nice Things: Michigan Tech 2010-2011 Season Thread: Part Tre

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
      Our offensive zone play was outstanding
      "Outstanding" = We got a goal!1!11!!

It's not outstanding until you convert on those missed "Grade A" chances.

Comment

after watching the game on TV. Maybe i'm not seeing this right but....
        1. the pp was so anemic. no movement in front, Gordic standing around a lot and so nothing much happening most of the time. We have to do a better job being organized on the pp and forcing mistakes.I didn't think AA was all that hot on the pk. We just weren't good.
        2. pk. we are leaving the weak side open again. wide wide open. I like that we are aggressive though. The forth goal was with 3 seconds left in the penalty and it just looked like our guys were tired to me.
        3. so yeah, our guys got tired in the third.
        4. some guys are not back checking like they should.
        5. we still play our good defensemen too much.
        6. offense is coming imho but not clicking, we missed a couple of real good chances just barely.

We did come out of the zone a lot better. the third goal was just bad luck. but why are we in that situation on the pp anyway.

also CC hockey get's a 1 hour show on nhl network.? I'm pretty sure it's some thing they produced themselves. We can't do that? We have a lot of stuff to put in there.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Ian's idea of "marketing" is local, cheap, and effortless. He just goes through the obvious motions with whatever budget he is given - athletics website, a few posters, local radio, and cheesy promotions during the games. He thinks we have a "national presence" when Cs or Scott get a mention on Versus.

Basically, he markets a D1 hockey program like it's D2 basketball.

It would help if the team could occasionally win a game though, thereby marketing themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Ian's idea of "marketing" is local, cheap, and effortless. He just goes through the obvious motions with whatever budget he is given - athletics website, a few posters, local radio, and cheesy promotions during the games. He thinks we have a "national presence" when Cs or Scott get a mention on Versus.

Basically, he markets a D1 hockey program like it's D2 basketball.

It would help if the team could occasionally win a game though, thereby marketing themselves.
            That is one thing that bothers me. It's one thing to not recruit good enough talent to have a good record in teh WCHA, but we should be able to act like a D1 hockey program in so many other areas like the SID, the online video feed, the game day experience etc. But we don't and nothing changes which make me think Suzanne is okay with the status quo.

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
              That is one thing that bothers me. It's one thing to not recruit good enough talent to have a good record in the WCHA, but we should be able to act like a D1 hockey program in so many other areas like the SID, the online video feed, the game day experience etc. But we don't and nothing changes which make me think Suzanne is okay with the status quo.
              Exactly!

As I've written here before, the Perpetual Losing Culture (the real status quo) is tolerated by the MTU administration. All those activities mtu_huskies mentions that are supposed to promote and publicize the program are second-rate. Does the lack of a decent online video feed or subpar webpage cause the team to lose? No, but they are symptoms of the PLC. When an organization does not dedicate itself to continuous improvement it goes into a state of decline which is exactly where we are with Tech hockey.

Boys, until there are new names on the org chart above the coach, we will get more of the same.

Comment

We got the bounces, but it still wasn't good enough. We had plenty of offensive chances, just can't bury them.

Jamie's postgame thoughts:
                The last penalty was bad, selfish penalty to take
                Through the 2nd and 3rd period, we carried the play
                Offensive cycling were outastaning
                On PP we had some great chances
                On Breakouts we took a step in the right direction, more tape to tape passes, let to more speed through neutral zone
                We played with great energy and jump tonight
                Witt-Rix-Reddick, 4th line was terrific
                Haven't been able to play 4th line much, we rolled all 4 tonight and it helped
                4th line was responsible, good decisions, puck management
                Dirk "What went wrong" - Jamie - played well in all 3 zones, their PP goal was a bounce off shin pad, we had great looks
                The one thing that went wrong might be burrying some of our chances
                Genoe played well all weekend, very happy with his play
                It's emotional for everyone, Olson/everyone upset with the last penalty

Comment

Tech continues to improve. Genoe played really well. Several other guys did real well too. PP was not good enough, just not enough movement and it's now at 17% instead of in the 20's where it was at the beginning of the year. Breaking out of the zone was quite good actually.In my mind this was the best part of this game. A lot more jump than in past weekends. We have to do a better job of shooting and actually scoring. We had lot's of chances we did not take advantage of. Still the team plays better every week.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Here is the deal: Next time Tech wins, baghead goes away and is replaced by my original signature.

I say that fully prepared to keep that image in my sig until next fall.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Ian's idea of "marketing" is local, cheap, and effortless. He thinks we have a "national presence" when Cs or Scott get a mention on Versus.
                      Saw that Evgeni Malkin tore up his knee and is done for the year so Tech hockey marketing should be getting a boost as it looks like there will be a roster spot for Connor for quite some time.
                      "Always look on the bright side of life..."
                      Ryan J
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Just saw an ad for NMU during the Super Bowl pregam coverage in Duluth. Great work Ian!
                        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashy Man View Post
                          Just saw an ad for NMU during the Super Bowl pregam coverage in Duluth. Great work Ian!
                          I assume it was for the school, which would be the responsibility of the admin marketing gurus, not the SID.

However, they should be working together to promote the school and, by extension, its athletic programs.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            I assume it was for the school, which would be the responsibility of the admin marketing gurus, not the SID.

However, they should be working together to promote the school and, by extension, its athletic programs.
                            Well yeah it was, but doesn't change the fact he should be fired. :-p
                            Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                            What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Regarding the video feed, I have a feeling that they get a lot of complaints about it, however they are probably locked into some kind of contract with JumpTV and are stuck with it for now.

Comment

maybe next season we could go balls to the wall and get new pictures of the coaching staff in game programs.
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X