Marketing College Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marketing College Hockey

Interesting article about how advertisers might want to make college hockey a part of their marketing mix, with some interesting demographics on our target auidences:

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...ckey-games.asp

Re: Marketing College Hockey

Best marketing strategy: Serve beer.
    Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

I don't think we're talking about how to get people to the games, but rather while we're at the games, how do they get us to buy their products. I think, if anything, it's a way of showing that college hockey is a serious market for advertising, and because of the demographic, should not be overlooked.

Comment

The most interesting part of the article for me was the demographics:

Demographics
        Adult college hockey fans are 69 percent male and 31 percent female, according to Scarborough Research.

Thirteen percent are ages 18-24, 21 percent 25-34, 22 percent 35-44, 21 percent 45-54, 13 percent 55-64, and 10 percent age 65 or over.

Twelve percent of college hockey fans have an annual household income under $25,000, with 16 percent between $25,000 and $39,999, 8 percent between $40,000 and $49,000, 20 percent between $50,000 and $74,999, 20 percent between $75,000 and $99,999, 16 percent between $100,000 and $149,000 and 8 percent at $150,000 or more.

Do those numbers fit your school's crowd?

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post

Demographics
          Adult college hockey fans are 69 percent male and 31 percent female, according to Scarborough Research.

Thirteen percent are ages 18-24, 21 percent 25-34, 22 percent 35-44, 21 percent 45-54, 13 percent 55-64, and 10 percent age 65 or over.

Twelve percent of college hockey fans have an annual household income under $25,000, with 16 percent between $25,000 and $39,999, 8 percent between $40,000 and $49,000, 20 percent between $50,000 and $74,999, 20 percent between $75,000 and $99,999, 16 percent between $100,000 and $149,000 and 8 percent at $150,000 or more.

Not really- I think there are a lot more 18-24 year students than 13%. Closer to 30%. Also, the rest of the fan base is aging- I know my section has been mostly the same over the last 13 years, when the remodel happened at Yost.

But at other schools- like when I visted CC- perhaps the numbers average out well- I didn't see a student section much there.

Comment

Do you think this helps market college hockey?

Ferris State @ Northern Michigan Series Video Preview:

http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/s...review_1-17-11

******* width="480" height="385">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zXrvv---tEI?fs=1&hl=en_US">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zXrvv---tEI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">

www.***********/FerrisHockey

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              Not really- I think there are a lot more 18-24 year students than 13%. Closer to 30%. Also, the rest of the fan base is aging- I know my section has been mostly the same over the last 13 years, when the remodel happened at Yost.

But at other schools- like when I visted CC- perhaps the numbers average out well- I didn't see a student section much there.
              My guess is that the 13% number is non-university fans, at a lot of schools students are free, so they are not counted as a marketing statistic. Also adding tv exposure not a lot of 18-24 year olds have digital cable packages to get Fox College Sports or ESPNU in their dorms or off campus apartments. The 13% is probably other 18-24 year olds that are not students in the communities that still attend games, buy merch., etc.. In one example I've seen a lot of students at college hockey games bring friends who come stay the weekend just to go to the hockey games.

Here's the Big problem in college hockey:
              The University of Wisconsin led NCAA Division I men with an average attendance of 15,048 in 2010, according to the NCAA, followed by North Dakota (11,654), Minnesota (10,108), Nebraska-Omaha (6,866) and Colorado College (6,548).

Not every school pulls a big crowd, though. Eight men's teams averaged fewer than 1,000 fans per game in 2010: Robert Morris, Holy Cross, Mercyhurst, Connecticut, Canisius, Sacred Heart, Bentley and American International.
              There's lot of great venues in college hockey but there's also a lot of schools with small 1,000-seat or less ice rinks. One aspect College Hockey can market is the distinct atmosphere from NHL or minor pro games. That atmosphere is a lot more prevalent in the larger facilities with large student sections. A lot of those teams on the low attendance list are also low in the standings, recruits are looking for some of the same things that can be marketed- good facilities and atmosphere at games.

Comment

Originally posted by sbkbghockey View Post
                My guess is that the 13% number is non-university fans, at a lot of schools students are free, so they are not counted as a marketing statistic. Also adding tv exposure not a lot of 18-24 year olds have digital cable packages to get Fox College Sports or ESPNU in their dorms or off campus apartments. The 13% is probably other 18-24 year olds that are not students in the communities that still attend games, buy merch., etc.. In one example I've seen a lot of students at college hockey games bring friends who come stay the weekend just to go to the hockey games.

Here's the Big problem in college hockey:

There's lot of great venues in college hockey but there's also a lot of schools with small 1,000-seat or less ice rinks. One aspect College Hockey can market is the distinct atmosphere from NHL or minor pro games. That atmosphere is a lot more prevalent in the larger facilities with large student sections. A lot of those teams on the low attendance list are also low in the standings, recruits are looking for some of the same things that can be marketed- good facilities and atmosphere at games.
                One of the topics talked about is the competition over basketball. Unfortunately in some places (like Albany NY where RPI and Union generally are, I've seen similar with a couple of the Ivies), the areas are basketball towns, so when people had the choice between hockey and basketball, guess what they choose.

However, I'd say the word definitely gets out, especially local restaurants and breweries. Stick one a few blocks from the stadium, advertise it at the game, maybe offer a ticket stub discount, and I would venture a guess that sales would go way up on a game night.

Comment

If they want to promote college hockey have a Television package like NHL Center Ice and give people an opportunity to see more teams play hockey. You could play them over the course of the week so fans from other leagues can get a chance to see other teams besides their own play.
                  Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                  Eric's Twitter
                  The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Erix_The_Red View Post
                    Best marketing strategy: Serve beer.
                    You are 100% right. We have beer in Lowell and when I ask my friends to go to an away game the first thing they ask is "do they have beer?".

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post

Demographics

Interesting numbers. If I had to guess most season ticket holders house hold income is over 50K and bet a high percent of those are over the 75K mark. about 25% of the arena is student seats so I guess all of those people make far less than 25K. If I had to guess most people who buy single game tickets in town and bring their families are at least at the 50K mark since the average house hold income in the area is around that 50K mark. Plus most single game ticket buyers bring their kids and those kids tend to play hockey and as we all know hockey is not a cheap sport.
                      I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by scsutommyboy View Post
                        ...If I had to guess most people who buy single game tickets in town and bring their families are at least at the 50K mark since the average house hold income in the area is around that 50K mark. Plus most single game ticket buyers bring their kids and those kids tend to play hockey and as we all know hockey is not a cheap sport.
                        That's true here too.

But also note that the hockey kid families are likely avoiding the much higher NHL ticket prices downtown. So the 50K mark is may be something of a ceiling as well -- these are young families, not yet in their peak earning years.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                          That's true here too.

But also note that the hockey kid families are likely avoiding the much higher NHL ticket prices downtown. So the 50K mark is may be something of a ceiling as well -- these are young families, not yet in their peak earning years.
                          Go to Mariucci and say that. There are a lot of big buck families attending games at the U. When I've been to Denver, it looked like a very highbrow clientele in Magness (that wasn't too appreciative of we lowbrow SCSU fans and our course ways).
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by UML View Post
                            You are 100% right. We have beer in Lowell and when I ask my friends to go to an away game the first thing they ask is "do they have beer?".
                            No, $h!t? Looks like I will be making it to that away series. Lets see if we can outnumber you guys again.
                            Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

This can be good if it expands it overall. However I feel it will only help out the schools that have good advertising deals. In MA for example BU and BC are definitely making a decent amount in ad revenue. I wouldn't be surprised if the combined ad revenue of all the other schools was not equal to either of the big two. Of course this is all speculation and for all we know NU, UMASS, and UML are doing fine as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X